• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-11 firewall and cowling drawings

faciette

Quebec, Canada
I have a J3 with a continental 9012F and I want to install a cowling on it. I'm looking for the drawings of the PA11's cowling , firewall and engine mount.
Is the J3 engine mount is similar to the PA-11's? (I heard that it is tilted downwards)

thank you

Boot Cowl, engine mount, cowling, windshield are all different. Some tubing where the gas tank on a J-3 is located is different also. PA-11 fuel tank is located in left wing. Front and rear seats were different also. Metal interior panels similar to super cub....those were the major differences.

Sheet metal wise you are asking for drawings of the boot cowl, firewall and top, bottom and side cowls.

I have the Smithsonian J3 drawings and the Northland PA18 drawings. PA-11 parts are NOT included in either. Drawings for these parts are not currently available from the Cub Club.

As Univair does produce these parts, it is clear that they DO have copies, but doubt they would sell them.

It is possible that Clyde Smith, Jr has copies of these drawings, but you would have to check with him.

John Scott

PA-11 mount tips down 4 degrees.J-3 mount is completely different and won't work for an 11.Legend uses a 0 degree mount on their AL-11 and if you are experimental you could use all that stuff firewall fwd.

Bill

The structure of a J3 forward of the instrument panel is quite different from the 11, as is the shape of the boot cowls, the firewalls, and the engine mounts. An 11 type cowl can be built for a 3, but it is not easy and takes new channels and cheek cowl for installation. To avoid a really goofy looking angle for the top cowl, the PA11/PA17 nosebowl needs to be modified to relocate the crankhaft opening and the cooling inlets.
JimC

Anyone ever find these drawings? I'm looking for info on the cowl attach fittings at the firewall. I can't find a reference in the parts manual. The ones that came with my plane are nowhere near original. Anyone care to share a picture? While you are there, I still am looking for a pic of a cabin heat box in reference to exhaust.

Just tried to attach a halfway decent pic of the firewall but it failed. I'll be back at our 11 in a week or so and will take some better ones for you Chris.

The best one I could find on my phone. If you need some measurements or specific ones let me know.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373031455507.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373031455507.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 363
That's perfect. That means my bottom ones are original but the tops were modified. I'll have to make those. If it is still apart, or if you remember, I need the thickness of that metal. I think the supercub used .092 and I might just use that. Thanks.

I have drawn a J3 firewall and a PA-11 firewall on different layers of an AutoCad drawing. I can send you a copy if you can read a dwg or a dxf file.

Hi Jim, Do they include the attachment points for the cowling and location? I have a good firewall from clyde, just doing have any of the attachment fitting in good shape.

Chris

They do.
Measured from my J3 and PA-11 firewalls.
Also, proposed locations for a pressure cowl J3 firewall that uses a PA-11 top cowl (cheeks and bottom would be custom). Nisebowl would be an inch wider than 11/17 and about the same narrower than a 12.

I don't guarantee the accuracy, and would suggest using them as a basis for a mockup.

Last edited:
Now that I'm on my laptop:

(6) Lycoming O-235-C
Use actual weight and arm
Eligible on landplane only and when installed in accordance with Piper Dwg. No 12447.
Engine Limits: All operations, 2600 r.p.m. (100 hp)
Fuel: 80 minimum octane aviation gasoline.
Oil Capacity: 6 qts. (-31)
Propeller Limits: (with propeller, Item 10 or 11 only)
Static r.p.m. at maximum permissible throttle setting:
Not over 2450, not under 2250.
No additional tolerance permitted.
C. G. Range: (+12.9) to (+17.3)
Aircraft weight and balance should be checked to determine need for 11¼ lb. ballast at (+179) or limitation to solo from rear seat only.
Placard required in full view of pilot: "All acrobatics, including spins, prohibited."

Props:
10. Propeller - Sensenich fixed pitch metal model M76AM-2.
+24 lb. (-53)
Eligible with Item 311D(6) engine only.
Diameter: Not over 74 inches, not under 72.5 inches.

11. Propeller - McCauley fixed pitch metal model 1C90-LM7249.
+23 lb. (-53)
Eligible with Item 311D(6) engine only.
Diameter: Not over 72 inches, not under 70.5 inches

I know a guy in AK who had a J-3. He converted it to a PA-11, installed a 0-235 and flaps, what a tiger! Somehow the 0-235 turned into a 0-320 with a Borer prop. No electrics at all. It also had Hendrix tips, a Cal Center cuff, wing tanks and Gar-aeros.

Someone asked me a question about my firewall and it lead me to this thread. This is a little more info for those who continue to reference this thread.

See the angle of the cabin heat box in the picture above? That is VERY important to match the heat muff. Don't mount it straight up and down.

Not sure if you guys realize that Christian has the Piper PA-11 firewall drawing on his site. Part# 10792
DaveG

Won't a Super Cub Cowl, mount, Bootcowl fit on the front of a PA-11? An 11 is just a go between an 18 and J3?

There are a few different Supercub cowling versions depending on which engine is installed. The Supercub 95 cowling should fit the 11.

I'm not sure about the bootcowl and the gingerbread aft of the firewall.

The cabane holes need to be covered in the middle and new ones cut at the bottom windshield corners.

Glenn

PA11 and PA18-95 bootcowl are the same part number. The bootcowlformers on the fuselage are different between the Lycoming and Continentalpower Super Cubs.

Back