• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

throttle cable clamp

there are 180hp 172 with the mount from engine, think oil pan bolts & ???? made from tubing & plate.

not sure if its from a conversion kit or original...... can't remember...

there are 180hp 172 with the mount from engine, think oil pan bolts & ???? made from tubing & plate.

not sure if its from a conversion kit or original...... can't remember...
Since I've been working this same issue firewall forward on an original build, I've seen lots of Van's RV firewall forward images that show this type of setup. Pretty sure it's not for certified, but you can see their mounts attached to the engine at either the carb mount or oil pan. They have both.

... Pretty sure it's not for certified, ...

the one I saw was a real plane part... it had a blue engine ;-) I just can't remember the details of if it was a conversion STC or?????

I would not be scared of making or using one, much better setup, it had 3? tubes and a plate with a clamp on it.... if I remember right... very nice setup...

Last edited:
My memory is worse than Mike's.

I did something like this on a 150 hp / 152.

The Clamp Bolt Bushing was a little longer to allow it to pivot some.

Washers on each side of the block secured it.

BTW- This was at a time when there was no one to contact on the STC.

Obviously STC paperwork was nowhere to be found.

I did contact AERO which now owns the STC,, and basically they think it "needs investigated" before they sell any more. In other words they think it stinks too. My opinion it is a bad design on an STC. It needs hooked to the engine somehow so everything can vibrate as one.

12geezer, please do. I talked to Jay Pratt today, our Vans expert, and he checked his cub and it looks like his cable is about to break too, same setup, but he said the vans bracket might not have room to fit with the dynafocal mount.

Well nuts. I can't post the pictures - the software is demanding a URL, and typing in the full local path won't work. If you'll send me your email address I'll send them to you that way. gordon.misch@gmail.com

Last edited:
Ok, so I tried looking at the instructions - - Maybe this will work? Max length is 12" and max width is 4 1/2".

Edit: How 'bout that. Now I'm a 'puter genius! This item is Van's P/N VA-149-320-PC KIT.

Attachments

• DSC00296.JPG
    DSC00296.JPG
    904.7 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC00297.JPG
    DSC00297.JPG
    926.5 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC00298.JPG
    DSC00298.JPG
    923.8 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC00299.JPG
    DSC00299.JPG
    846.8 KB · Views: 179
Those are Vans throttle mixture brackets. Above.
I have bought one and I will modify it to fit on my Cub 'Shooter'. Sure do not want mine to break. I did not notice the problem on my cub. I just built it like the plans showed. I am sure it will break sometime unless i afix the mixture and throttle to the engine. The RVs that I have built all have the cables fixed to the engine with the bracket shown above. Some are different with fuel injection.

Thanks for posting pics Geezer. Is it as heavy as it looks?

Heheh - dunno, how heavy does it look? Sorry, couldn't resist - - -

The thickness measures .054" including powder coat. And on my kitchen scales the weight is 10 oz. Yeah, it's pretty skookum, but then, it's subject to vibration so needs to be pretty stiff. Sounds like it's tried and true on the RV's?

Basic rule of thumb.... "the longer the stroke the more they shake". Don't care who builds them up or balances them out.

I wouldn't bother going to a case mounted throttle clamp on an O-320 or conical mounted O-360 / O-375. But on a dynafocal mounted O-360 it looks like a good idea. A broken throttle cable is SERIOUS business!

I recently flew an O-375 on a conical mount. It shook way more then I would put up with on a long flight.

My O-360 (on a dynafocal mount) or my old O-320 on a conical are / were very smooth by comparison.

Take care,

Crash

Dang,, wish somebody had a pic of one installed..

I doubt that I'll be using mine - if I don't you can have it to experiment with if you want. I should know for sure in a couple days -- The Van's website sez it's 4130, so would be relatively easy to modify by welding if need be.

Univair had some problems with throttle cables in the past. Just talked to someone who had a brand new one break from manufacture defect. Talk to Flying Miss Daisey about his experience with this. If you are going to modify the mounting you might need some sort of approval on a certified airplane. I have seen lots of owner modified throttle and mixture attachments that were outright scary.

I've determined that I won't be using mine, so if somebody wants it for experimental you can have it for the UPS cost. Steve E, you're first in line if you want it.

12Geezer, I have an 0360 and not sure if that would work or not. Would the 4 carb bolts be the same as on the 0320? I will pass at this time, its only $18 on the vans site.

Crash, my engine is very smooth also, its just on start up and stop when it seems to shake the most, and over time I believe that is what caused the extra stress on the cable. Not sure what I will do right now, maybe call AERO again to see if they can help with certified.

Steve, I will be modifying the new carb throttle cable bracket I ordered from Vans, when it gets here. To fit 'Shooter' probably ater OSH. I can do two if you want one. Or I will take pictures and send to you. Thanks for calling attention to this. Could have been a disaster.
I have welded and moved / redesigned several of the Vans Throttle brackets with TIG welding over my years of working with their parts. Just remove the powder coat. They are 4130 steel. welds fine, no problem,,, mon,,,,,,,,,,

Dang,, wish somebody had a pic of one

controls1.jpg

I bought one of these for my conical 0-320 with thrust line, but thought the control attaches were too far aft near the firewall. Second, I didn't have threaded ends on my cables on the engine side. But, this gives an idea of mounting to the engine.

Last edited:
Crash, my engine is very smooth also, its just on start up and stop when it seems to shake the most, and over time I believe that is what caused the extra stress on the cable.

To reduce the shake on shut down try this: Run the engine at or slightly above 1000rpm. Pull the mixture to idle cutoff. Then immediately close the throttle after the engine stops firing and before the rpm starts to drop. This procedure seems to provide a cleaner shut off thus reducing the shake.

controls1.jpg

I bought one of these for my conical 0-320 with thrust line, but thought the control attaches were too far aft near the firewall. Second, I didn't have threaded ends on my cables on the engine side. But, this gives an idea of mounting to the engine.

Much better deal,, keeps the vibration all together.

Jay,,, ya,, just as easy to make 2 as it is one..go ahead

I also talked to AERO today (Roy) and they will pass all this info on the the "Boss", to see if they can help since they are now the STC holder. Roy sounded very interested and expressed his concern.. If any of you are at the pig roast at NH,, look AERO up and ask them about this. But from all indications, they are going to try and address the problem. Hopefully soon.

Last edited:
How many broken throttle cables have there been on the Penn Yan 180 hp conversion? What about the bad throttle cables from Univairs vendor?

Steve I'm in the same boat as Bigrock but i'll tryagine.19kb isover my head yet but try agine tomorow. Ron

How many broken throttle cables have there been on the Penn Yan 180 hp conversion? ....

be interesting to poll the NTSB crash data, for 180 hp cubs, other than there is no such criteria in model numbers....

I just took one look at the penn yan mount supplied in kits, and modified it like I describe, have done several....

just because its an approved part and installation don't mean its safe!!!

I am kinda shocked they still sell it that way.... it's so obviously a bad idea...

Back