• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Floor boards

A friend has a very nice cub with the old diamond plate floors. Is it heavier? Yes it is! Do you have a better chance in this cub in a wreck on floats, re the forward strut coming through the floor and skewering you? Maybe so maybe not...
Has anyone used 1/8” aluminum tread plate for a floor board in a Super Cub? Any idea of what the difference in weight would be between aluminum floor board and Plywood Floor Board?

When Dakota Cub certified the Super 18 the Anchorage ACO asked them to use aluminum floorboards because they havery seen tree limbs pent rate the wood floorboards in an accident.

Old, rotten floors, maybe. In any case they're all held in place with a handful of screws into thin tabs and tinnermans. I liked my old aluminum floors with powder coat but my carbon fiber floors are just as good and a lot lighter. They'd have to show me statistics about accidents and injuries to substantiate that claim. I doubt they could.

Old, rotten floors, maybe. ...They'd have to show me statistics about accidents and injuries to substantiate that claim. I doubt they could.

you'd have to be in a (flat?)spin to be going the direction that the trees come through the floor....

or i guess, falling through the trees.... or very aft CG.....

You can probably call Dave Schwartz and he can give you the facts. He has been pretty good at giving me facts and not just pulling stuff out of his ass for me.

Dakota cub alum diamond plate gets my vote, powder coat textured finish insures no skid.
id rather skimp on weight savings elsewhere, though, if I recall same weight as finished wood.
Added bonus, turned up edges give something to attach side panels to.

also, good idea to add an extra cross member tube for additional floor support in front of torque tube

942D1A43-889F-4404-BD99-AE1FAD9B17CF.jpgYou

Attachments

• 942D1A43-889F-4404-BD99-AE1FAD9B17CF.jpg
    942D1A43-889F-4404-BD99-AE1FAD9B17CF.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 356
  • 06F196AC-7904-4B88-9946-E7297A734C91.jpg
    06F196AC-7904-4B88-9946-E7297A734C91.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 204
Love the turned up edges. My carbon floors were supposed to have them but they did the turn-outs on the side panels instead. Bathtub floors make good sense.

For my carbon floors bedliner would require sanding the surface to promote a bond, so bedliner is forever. I’m not willing to commit. I have a roll of aluminum tape with aggressive anti-skid. Too aggressive. I’d like to find whatever the vinyl flooring was that Cessna put in stock Skywagon utility interiors. I could attach it with a light haze of spray contact cement. That would be easy enough to remove if I needed. Aero Floor makes some nice stuff but it isn’t light (or inexpensive) so I may as well stay with diamond plate rubber until I find something better. One good feature of diamond plate is it lays and stays without adhesives.
https://www.aerofloor.com/product/aerofloor-ii-af491514/

My PA-12 has Okume marine grade plywood floors. Any source for premade metal foot scuff plates that I’ve seen in many aircraft in front of the pedals?

I found some self adhesive anti slip pads at Home Depot that I trimmed to fit and am very happy with them. Couldn’t find a picture of the exact ones, but similar to these.

7AD4A7E3-F867-40D6-A90A-45052BB38D6E.png

Attachments

• 7AD4A7E3-F867-40D6-A90A-45052BB38D6E.png
    7AD4A7E3-F867-40D6-A90A-45052BB38D6E.png
    258 KB · Views: 123
Back