Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floor boards

Post Thanks / Like
    CF reacts with steel also...

Thinking about a couple of years down the line, I see corrosion issues...
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes carlbrun liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58
    CF reacts with steel also...

Thinking about a couple of years down the line, I see corrosion issues...
    Any dissimilar metals will 'react' to one another. Simple measures (primer, etc.) render this a non-issue.

Hey, as far as floorboards go, a hunk of 1/4 ply works fine and can be attractive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the process of building a wide body cub, and have decided after reading all these Posts, and comments , that I am going with the painted aluminum .063 tread plate. Now, does anyone have a floor pattern for a wide body that they would want to share, or sell me a copy to keep it simple for me ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Start measuring on YOUR cub

I did my floorboards using poster-board templates, cut and pieced and taped together, and and cut and pieced and taped together again, cussed, then cut and pieced and taped together again - - and they finally fit in place just fine.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brekkeaerial View Post
    I am in the process of building a wide body cub, and have decided after reading all these Posts, and comments , that I am going with the painted aluminum .063 tread plate. Now, does anyone have a floor pattern for a wide body that they would want to share, or sell me a copy to keep it simple for me ?
    WAY too THICK and heavy, than whats needed.... it's an airplane! not a TANK!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    .8 lbs per square foot

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    brekkeaerial

Unfortunately, there seems to be a pretty wide variance between the PA-12's. Even if you were able to get someone else's patterns they probably would not fit very well, so ......sigh...... I'm afraid you will have to make your own patterns. Add up your square footage, to include the baggage area. You may find that you can save a fair amount of weight in this area. I know a lot of folks that used hardware store plywood added 10 pounds Vs carbon fiber, or just light weight plywood. That is 10 pounds less Moose meat you can haul, and lower performance ALWAYS, for ever, for the life of the airplane.

Best of luck and hope this helps

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dakota Cub has them cut out already if they are for a Airframes Alaska wide body fuselage otherwise I would use posterboard and make a pattern. You will figure out quickly why Piper made the openings so big in a lot of areas.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any updates on what builders are using for light weight floor boards? Im tracking the 1/4” carbon/foam floorboards at 8oz per sqft and .032 aluminum at 7.2 oz per sq ft. The aluminum would be powder coated and gain additional weight. What size floor board up front and for baggage in aluminum? What size for wall panels?

Post Thanks / Like
    60 years ago Sikorsky was using an aluminum foil honeycomb core between thin aluminum dimpled sheet for floorboards on their helicopters. Does anyone make honeycomb panels anymore? They are strong and light weight.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    60 years ago Sikorsky was using an aluminum foil honeycomb core between thin aluminum dimpled sheet for floorboards on their helicopters. Does anyone make honeycomb panels anymore? They are strong and light weight.
    https://www.thegillcorp.com/home.php?cPath=38_23 looked at this one time trying to figure out the right one

Post Thanks / Like
    tell george here you have 200 747s sitting on the ramp that need new floors.but you want thin flooring. or find someone on here that lives next to them and see if he would do a little dumpster diving for you. https://www.thegillcorp.com/america_sales.php
    Last edited by tempdoug; 11-09-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    https://www.thegillcorp.com/home.php?cPath=38_23 looked at this one time trying to figure out the right one
    https://www.thegillcorp.com/datashee...4009_Panel.pdf 0.39 pounds per square foot. How does this compare to other materials?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like

Floor boards

Old thread. Maybe John Schwamm will post a pic of the floor in his lightweight Husky. Best floor I’ve ever seen for a Cub type. I like my smooth CF floor but it’s slippery. Not a problem in the front seat but a big problem in the baggage area.

My no-skid solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0525.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	45537
    Last edited by stewartb; 11-09-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    https://www.thegillcorp.com/datashee...4009_Panel.pdf 0.39 pounds per square foot. How does this compare to other materials?
    In between .025 and .032 bare aluminum. 1/2 the weight of the 1/4” carbon floor.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my very limited experience in building floor boards for a 12 that was a bare fuselage. Starting with poster board, then foam, then plywood, then aluminum. End product being aluminum. It seemed to me the added sub structure below the aluminum floor board added enough weight to make the aluminum vs wood argument more of a personal choice vs weight savings. Wood had less flex which meant less support needed.

I put the carbon/foam sandwich from carbon concepts in for back seat, baggage, and extended baggage. It worked well and tolerates sitting and kneeling on well. Very stiff like wood, but lighter. In the extended baggage if I were to do it again I would use something even lighter since I just haul light bulky stuff back there.

PA12
    Front Floor Board
    Wood 4# 4oz
    Aluminum .050 3# 9oz

PA12
    Back Floor Board
    Wood 4# 11oz
    Aluminum .050 4# 1oz

Using thinner aluminum would make it lighter. Wood is easier and faster for me to build. 12's are wide and probably require more support than an 18.
    Thanks mike mcs repair, flybynite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I made carbon fiber floor sections. One layer 6oz twill, a 1/8 layer of divinycell foam, one layer of 6oz. Crazy strong/stiff. Vacuum bagged the assembly. Overall, as Bill Rusk said earlier in the thread, I saved 10 lbs (!!) versus the std plywood flooring. PM me if you have questions or more info. Happy to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you other CF floor guys do for traction in the back? My dog can barely stand up on my floor when the plane's parked.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t have any traction type add on. Just plain CF. But then I don’t have a dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a seven foot slide back there. Anything I put back there shifts around. Diamond plate rubber works well but isn't light.
    Thanks 62E thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    I have a seven foot slide back there. Anything I put back there shifts around. Diamond plate rubber works well but isn't light.
    I’ve retrieved/repaired plane off sides of mountain from shifting load issue....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend has a very nice cub with the old diamond plate floors. Is it heavier? Yes it is! Do you have a better chance in this cub in a wreck on floats, re the forward strut coming through the floor and skewering you? Maybe so maybe not...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_B View Post
    Has anyone used 1/8” aluminum tread plate for a floor board in a Super Cub? Any idea of what the difference in weight would be between aluminum floor board and Plywood Floor Board?

Post Thanks / Like
    When Dakota Cub certified the Super 18 the Anchorage ACO asked them to use aluminum floorboards because they havery seen tree limbs pent rate the wood floorboards in an accident.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Old, rotten floors, maybe. In any case they're all held in place with a handful of screws into thin tabs and tinnermans. I liked my old aluminum floors with powder coat but my carbon fiber floors are just as good and a lot lighter. They'd have to show me statistics about accidents and injuries to substantiate that claim. I doubt they could.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Old, rotten floors, maybe. ...They'd have to show me statistics about accidents and injuries to substantiate that claim. I doubt they could.
    you'd have to be in a (flat?)spin to be going the direction that the trees come through the floor....

or i guess, falling through the trees.... or very aft CG.....

Post Thanks / Like
    You can probably call Dave Schwartz and he can give you the facts. He has been pretty good at giving me facts and not just pulling stuff out of his ass for me.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had my fill of the FAA. I like E-AB better.
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dakota cub alum diamond plate gets my vote, powder coat textured finish insures no skid.
    id rather skimp on weight savings elsewhere, though, if I recall same weight as finished wood.
    Added bonus, turned up edges give something to attach side panels to.

also, good idea to add an extra cross member tube for additional floor support in front of torque tube

Name:	942D1A43-889F-4404-BD99-AE1FAD9B17CF.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	45541You
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06F196AC-7904-4B88-9946-E7297A734C91.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	45542  

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	1627157A-BC1E-45D1-B5B7-13F8F67DCB47.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	45543

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the turned up edges. My carbon floors were supposed to have them but they did the turn-outs on the side panels instead. Bathtub floors make good sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    For traction on slippery floors, is anyone using anti skid tape?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post

Name:	1627157A-BC1E-45D1-B5B7-13F8F67DCB47.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	45543
    Does that are get any weight applied to it?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    For traction on slippery floors, is anyone using anti skid tape?
    I applied stripes of bedliner to the floor of an extended baggage to help keep things from sliding.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    For my carbon floors bedliner would require sanding the surface to promote a bond, so bedliner is forever. I’m not willing to commit. I have a roll of aluminum tape with aggressive anti-skid. Too aggressive. I’d like to find whatever the vinyl flooring was that Cessna put in stock Skywagon utility interiors. I could attach it with a light haze of spray contact cement. That would be easy enough to remove if I needed. Aero Floor makes some nice stuff but it isn’t light (or inexpensive) so I may as well stay with diamond plate rubber until I find something better. One good feature of diamond plate is it lays and stays without adhesives.
    https://www.aerofloor.com/product/ae...r-ii-af491514/