• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Paint Schemes

twoton

Dassel, MN
I'm getting closer to recovering and and trying to think ahead for a paint scheme. Looking for some hints on paint schemes and the ablitly to preview them. I currently found a PA12 balsa wood model(36" wing span) and am thinking of using it for a test bed. I'm considering red scallops on the wing's top side and vertical stab, over a white base. Any help would be apprciate :p

I think the paint scheme depends on how you are restoring your plane. Are you keeping it all stock looking? If so, it is best to use a stock paint job. If you are not, I think the later model factory -18 schemes were not bad looking.

Scallops only look right on biplanes in my opinion. It is like painting flames/ghost flames on a car. A regular car where the hood tilts up will not look right with flames. Paint flames on a car from the '30's with a butterfly hood and they look right.

Also, keep in mind that the scheme can make the plane look longer or shorter/stubbier in length and can direct your eye away from certain characteristics of the airframe.

Remember, if you do something different, it will be easy to identify. A call to the FAA with " oh yea, it had these red scalops" even if you did nothing wrong, your airplane was the one that was easy to remember. With the Feds you are guilty until you PROVE you were innocent. His word against yours ..... you lose.
All white with a little red trim is pretty non descript. Sometimes it is good to be low profile.

Just another thought.

Bill

Bill Rusk said:
Remember, if you do something different, it will be easy to identify. A call to the FAA with " oh yea, it had these red scalops" even if you did nothing wrong, your airplane was the one that was easy to remember. With the Feds you are guilty until you PROVE you were innocent. His word against yours ..... you lose.
All white with a little red trim is pretty non descript. Sometimes it is good to be low profile.

Just another thought.

Bill

you sound like the hunting guides up here.... lots of white with red :)

and the true story of the one guide landing back at his field by his home in his camouflage cub, and quickly started using the Krylon painting his friends camo too..... so he could say it wasn't him.. more than one camo cub...

he also gave fish and game a few? planes, and set one on fire as the troopers pulled up after catching him doing something "wasn't gonna give them another d&*% airplane!"

the other guide that gave them such grief after catching him kill a moose in katmi park, they let him out of jail in anchorage and kept his boots as evidence, let him go barefoot?.....

on topic.... I have always wanted to do a camo design BUT using florescent colors......

also want to do a hot pink with black one if i find right customer....

another one with one design on one side and a different one on other side, pepsi/coke like......

Mike get the info correct-- this guy was not a guide but the biggest game outlaw ever in the great state and also one if the best pilots Ak ever saw. In fact he still flies almost every day and is much older than most on this site.

Tennessee Red and Diana Cream?

There is one that pops up here occasionally with the Diana Cream replaced with Cub Yellow, and I think it is stunning!

Mike get the info correct-- this guy was not a guide but the biggest game outlaw ever in the great state and also one if the best pilots Ak ever saw. In fact he still flies almost every day and is much older than most on this site.

Not to hijack this thread, but you are absolutely right and despite his past reputation, he is one of the best human beings you'll ever meet! I doubt his experiences can ever be matched. His stories of flying, hunting, fishing and survival in Alaska are amazing and would fill volumes. I'm just glad I was able to hear him tell a lot of those stories personally - WOW!

68Papa

Actually he was a guide that lost his license & airplanes quite a few times. The funniest thing he told me was Ak Dept of Fish & game wouldn't give him an Aerial Wolf permit because he didn't have enough experience. Hell I know he's Taken more wolves than 90 % of the Guys around. The other good 1 was taking eagles in the 50's when there was a bounty on them. And You guys are RIGHT 1 of the best Guys I know & 1 HELL of a CUB PILOT.

yep:
I know him. I've drank his whiskey and eat his food. One of the few guides who Polar Bear hunted alone. The other guides thought he was crazy. I agree, he was! :D

you guys couldn't be talking about Ron Haye's. He's a first class prick! I've heard he's softened but when you're pushing 90 and all your friends etc are dead, there's no-one else to talk to...you better get nice...

Ron is actually a great old guy, still flys every summer in Alaska. Probably pushing 40,000 hours of Alaska bush time. Undoubtedly one of the most skilled Bush Pilots
still breathing in the world. Extreamely skilled Guide/ Outfitter and probably responsible for more Record Book
Trophys in the books than any guide left alive in Alaska.
Even though it is of course frowned upon today, back when "sameday airborne" was legal, he was considered
"The best of the best" at hearding bears with a Cub.
Back in the 70s/80s his booths at the Sportsman Shows
all over the USA were always the most talked about for years......... Ron always had drop dead beautiful girls, usually exposing massive cleavages to lure the boys in
It was a great sales gimik, that lead to hundreds of books for his lodge......
I know his reputation has some colorful sides to it, to include nocking competitions teeth out at some of the
old watering holes in bush alaska. And it used to be rumored the ADF&G spent close to a million bucks to catch him.......... He is actually a larger than life legend to
all of us that actually guided around him in the "old days".
To get on here and degrade him for ANY reason because you may not approve of his past hunting ethics that has probably been " something you heard from so and so"
Is likely very disrespectful, and rude to and old fellow aviator, he is the kind of guy that is always welcome in our
camp.........
E

None of it was hearsay...I flew and was asked by Ron to guide for him, even to buy his lodge. I've heard all the stories. I've seen him with his customer, pal from prison jawing and laughing at the table in the dining room. I've seen the bear. Have you? He may be a great old guy now but he hasn't always been and there's plenty of people to back me up on that one. Just sayin...
Ron is actually a great old guy, still flys every summer in Alaska. Probably pushing 40,000 hours of Alaska bush time. Undoubtedly one of the most skilled Bush Pilots
still breathing in the world. Extreamely skilled Guide/ Outfitter and probably responsible for more Record Book
Trophys in the books than any guide left alive in Alaska.
Even though it is of course frowned upon today, back when "sameday airborne" was legal, he was considered
"The best of the best" at hearding bears with a Cub.
Back in the 70s/80s his booths at the Sportsman Shows
all over the USA were always the most talked about for years......... Ron always had drop dead beautiful girls, usually exposing massive cleavages to lure the boys in
It was a great sales gimik, that lead to hundreds of books for his lodge......
I know his reputation has some colorful sides to it, to include nocking competitions teeth out at some of the
old watering holes in bush alaska. And it used to be rumored the ADF&G spent close to a million bucks to catch him.......... He is actually a larger than life legend to
all of us that actually guided around him in the "old days".
To get on here and degrade him for ANY reason because you may not approve of his past hunting ethics that has probably been " something you heard from so and so"
Is likely very disrespectful, and rude to and old fellow aviator, he is the kind of guy that is always welcome in our
camp.........
E

I would love to do some type of camo scheme on a Cub. I saw a picture of a Cub (think it may have been a Carbon or Cub) once and the camo was more straight lines than curved patters and it was in white / black / grey. Almost like a Swedish gun boat pattern. Wish I knew where that picture was!

I also like what Paul Guschlbauer did with the design of his Project Overland Cub using map topography lines...

44169_1539673272.jpg

Attachments

• 44169_1539673272.jpg
    44169_1539673272.jpg
    757.1 KB · Views: 183
Back