Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Paint Schemes

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Schemes

I'm getting closer to recovering and and trying to think ahead for a paint scheme. Looking for some hints on paint schemes and the ablitly to preview them. I currently found a PA12 balsa wood model(36" wing span) and am thinking of using it for a test bed. I'm considering red scallops on the wing's top side and vertical stab, over a white base. Any help would be apprciate :P

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the paint scheme depends on how you are restoring your plane. Are you keeping it all stock looking? If so, it is best to use a stock paint job. If you are not, I think the later model factory -18 schemes were not bad looking.

Scallops only look right on biplanes in my opinion. It is like painting flames/ghost flames on a car. A regular car where the hood tilts up will not look right with flames. Paint flames on a car from the '30's with a butterfly hood and they look right.

Also, keep in mind that the scheme can make the plane look longer or shorter/stubbier in length and can direct your eye away from certain characteristics of the airframe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent you a p.m.

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember, if you do something different, it will be easy to identify. A call to the FAA with " oh yea, it had these red scalops" even if you did nothing wrong, your airplane was the one that was easy to remember. With the Feds you are guilty until you PROVE you were innocent. His word against yours ..... you lose.
    All white with a little red trim is pretty non descript. Sometimes it is good to be low profile.

Just another thought.

Bill

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk
    Remember, if you do something different, it will be easy to identify. A call to the FAA with " oh yea, it had these red scalops" even if you did nothing wrong, your airplane was the one that was easy to remember. With the Feds you are guilty until you PROVE you were innocent. His word against yours ..... you lose.
    All white with a little red trim is pretty non descript. Sometimes it is good to be low profile.

Just another thought.

Bill
    you sound like the hunting guides up here.... lots of white with red

and the true story of the one guide landing back at his field by his home in his camouflage cub, and quickly started using the Krylon painting his friends camo too..... so he could say it wasn't him.. more than one camo cub...

he also gave fish and game a few? planes, and set one on fire as the troopers pulled up after catching him doing something "wasn't gonna give them another d&*% airplane!"

the other guide that gave them such grief after catching him kill a moose in katmi park, they let him out of jail in anchorage and kept his boots as evidence, let him go barefoot?.....

on topic.... I have always wanted to do a camo design BUT using florescent colors......

also want to do a hot pink with black one if i find right customer....

another one with one design on one side and a different one on other side, pepsi/coke like......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike get the info correct-- this guy was not a guide but the biggest game outlaw ever in the great state and also one if the best pilots Ak ever saw. In fact he still flies almost every day and is much older than most on this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tennessee Red and Diana Cream?

There is one that pops up here occasionally with the Diana Cream replaced with Cub Yellow, and I think it is stunning!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike get the info correct-- this guy was not a guide but the biggest game outlaw ever in the great state and also one if the best pilots Ak ever saw. In fact he still flies almost every day and is much older than most on this site.
    Not to hijack this thread, but you are absolutely right and despite his past reputation, he is one of the best human beings you'll ever meet! I doubt his experiences can ever be matched. His stories of flying, hunting, fishing and survival in Alaska are amazing and would fill volumes. I'm just glad I was able to hear him tell a lot of those stories personally - WOW!

68Papa

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually he was a guide that lost his license & airplanes quite a few times. The funniest thing he told me was Ak Dept of Fish & game wouldn't give him an Aerial Wolf permit because he didn't have enough experience. Hell I know he's Taken more wolves than 90 % of the Guys around. The other good 1 was taking eagles in the 50's when there was a bounty on them. And You guys are RIGHT 1 of the best Guys I know & 1 HELL of a CUB PILOT.

Post Thanks / Like
    yep:
    I know him. I've drank his whiskey and eat his food. One of the few guides who Polar Bear hunted alone. The other guides thought he was crazy. I agree, he was!