Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J-4 Cub Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N86250 View Post
    Could you mount it between centers and grind it?
    With a tube in the middle to keep it stabilized.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    With a tube in the middle to keep it stabilized.
    That's what I was thinking. Turn down an oversized pipe if necessary.

At least, that's what I'd do when I'm in the time is not worth money mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    I have an 11" Sheldon, but am trying to picture holding and cutting a spring. Aren't they hardened by the heat treatment?
    If you are just cutting length I use an abrasive wheel. They will cut with a good saw as well since most spring steel is not all that hard. But some are on the outside.
    I prefer a 6" thin wheel since they put less heat into the part than a 14" chop saw. The cut end does not need to be heat treated after.
    Diameter gets cut with carbide on a lathe, you need to dress the sharps off afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Google "custom spring" Tons of hits. Or McMaster-Carr - search on springs, then die springs for a large selection

I've dealt satisfactorly with these folks https://www.centuryspring.com/
    and these: https://reidsupply.com/?SID=2bpc1rht8fpijdacgkmgisfnlj
    Last edited by Gordon Misch; 10-11-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an 11" Sheldon, but am trying to picture holding and cutting a spring. Aren't they hardened by the heat treatment?
    Turned up a mandrel from a piece of round steel bar that just fit the inside diameter of the spring, and left a flange on one end to both chuck into the lathe, and seat the spring. Drilled and tapped a hole in the other end. Made up a thick washer, and modified a Hex head bolt by center drilling the head. Slide spring on the mandrel, and use the bolt and washer to collapse the spring. Chuck it up in the lathe, and use a center in the tail stock into the bolt head. I used a carbide toolbit when turning, some cutting oil or coolant helps give a better surface finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I sent a message to a friend south of Dallas with several J4s. Hopefully he will chime in. His hanger is like a J4 and bicycle museum.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Is this like my Mustang convertibles - special tools to get that spring safely in and out? Or does it just relax when the strut is fully extended?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, a while back I had a run of springs made for the J4A. Upper and lower springs. I think I might have a set left, however, if your J4 has a wing tank, I’m thinking it might be a J4E which has larger springs. Can you confirm the spring size and/or if your J4 is an E model?
    it was 21 years ago when I had the springs made. Perhaps they can make a run of the beefier springs.

Post Thanks / Like
    The wing tank was an addition - unapproved until this year. It is a J4A, s/n 4-635. Dan has mentioned you. I would love to buy a set. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Is this like my Mustang convertibles - special tools to get that spring safely in and out? Or does it just relax when the strut is fully extended?
    If it's like an aeronca oleo and everything is worn out and broken, the spring will be rattling loose. If most everything is good the spring will be under significant compression.I recall one aeroncateer describing a jig bolted to the bumper of his Suburban and jacking the truck up and down to compress the spring.
    You can't get there from here. You have to go over yonder and start from there.