Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extended Leading Edge rib stitching

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Ten years ago! Anybody notice the guy who went from 85 mph cruise to 110 mph with extra tin leading edges the only change? LoPresti should have hired him!

When you spend lots of money on a performance mod you are guaranteed to feel you have made a significant improvement in performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    My leading edge skin is extended 12-1/2" aft of the spar on the top and stops at the spar on the bottom. How is everyone attaching the fabric to the bottom cap of the rib in this area where you can't get a full stitch in place. Do you just run the stitch around the lower cap? or do you glue it in this area and start the stitching at the 12-1/2" location?
    I didn't remember starting this thread. I glued the fabric to the extended leading edge using the Stewarts system with a thin layer of felt between the fabric and leading edge aluminum. I had no reservations in doing this as fabric has been glued/doped to wood wing surfaces for decades without issue. The lower fabric was installed and shrunk first. Then the stitches were tied to the bottom rib cap back as far as the trailing edge of the extended leading edge. This made it easy to get my hand inside to maneuver the needle. Then the top fabric was installed and shrunk with normal stitching completing the attachment. I can't say whether this was the proper way or not, except that it worked and has been satisfactory. The Cub flies great.
    N1PA
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw this on Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks mike mcs repair, BC12D-4-85 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My -12 today, in steady-state level flight. The sun is low, so it's easy to see the contours on the top of the wing when zoomed in. The fabric is very slightly convex. Maybe 1/4" Maybe? I would argue that the fabric scallops we see on the ground are a non-issue. I did a hard turn (2 g?) to the left and Andrew, the photographer in his -12, saw very little if any change in the fabric contour from that in level flight.

Edit: Wrong thread. I'll reference this post from the correct thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nov 4, 2019 over Longview, Wa.   Photo by Andrew C..jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	45476
    Last edited by Gordon Misch; 11-04-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Thanks BC12D-4-85 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    I glued the fabric to the extended leading edge using the Stewarts system with a thin layer of felt between the fabric and leading edge aluminum. I had no reservations in doing this as fabric has been glued/doped to wood wing surfaces for decades without issue.
    Yup, amazing how that's worked for some really fast aircraft for a long time with no issues! I did the same, substituting a layer of heavy fabric for the felt. Been doing it that way for years.
    JohnClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1237.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	45496
    Likes BC12D-4-85, skywagon8a, CharlieN liked this post