• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Private pilot license!(17 yrs of age)

callmesam

Laval, Quebec, Canada
Hi everyone,

My name is Samuel and i live in Laval, Quebec, Canada. I've been new to this forum for a few days now. I have had a huge passion for Super Cubs even before i have started flying. I'm actually 17 years of age and i just finished my flight test today so i am now an official private pilot :) I'm currently starting the commercial license and I'm hoping to find a job in aviation in 1 or 2 years from now. Currently i fly Cessna 152 and 172 and i cant wait for the day that i could actually get in a Super Cub and go for a flight. I will take it one step at a time and hopefully have my own Super Cub one day. Just thought a should introduce myself. If anyone has tips for a young guy trying to get into the aviation industry, feel free to leave your comments! thanks

Sam

That's pretty COOL Sam,
I'd work on my Instrument rating now, all the while you're building time towards your commercial ticket. Time, along with an Inst. rating will make your comm. a snap. Here in the States you need 250hrs for the commercial ticket.
Just my thoughts on it. Work hard and strive for perfection while flying and you'll do fine.

Congrats!!

Brad

I'm not much older than you (21), and have been flying for a couple years. I am working towards ratings, and have been blessed enough to own a 65hp tcart (on bushwheels now). I am convinced that there aren't many better airplanes to learn in. At 4gph, cruise 85-90mph, approach at ~55mph, 24gph (6hr endurance, ~480mi range). I can afford to fly it, go somewhere with it, and still play on the the gravel bars, beaches, and some tundra. They are a good affordable planes to fly while you save up for a cub. But you might just grow so attached that you don't want to get rid of it :D

Congratulations, Sam! I got my private same age as you. That was, um... a while back. Although I only made a living flying for a short time, aviation opened a lot of doors throughout my life. Best wishes and welcome aboard!

O2

Félécitations Sam!
Bravo!!
Go after your dreams. There are many Cubs, T-crafts, Champs, etc in the old grassroots airports in La Belle Province. Depending on where you are situated in that huge province, you can get into some nice bush, float and ski flying. Keep learning and keep flying.
JD

Congrats! I was 18 when I received my Private and then I was 20 when I took my commercial test. I am lucky enough to be flying supercubs for a job towing banners. I am now 25 and have been flying supercubs for 3.5 years, once I found tailwheels I never looked back. Hang in there and you will find a job. It is nice to see another young person flying! Enjoy!!
Matt

Congrats, I was 17 when I got my license. I started out in a J3 and a Champ (J3 so much better) then moved into a 152. Now 10 years later I'm about ready to start building my first Super Cub.
Good luck with everything!

Jess

good job sam, it always makes me smile when i hear of young people, like you, accomplishing challenging feats. my son at 15 was an accomplished bonanza pilot at 15(me riding shotgun) and got his private at 16, now at 33 he flies md11's all over europe, asia and africa. keep your focus and don't let anything get in your way.
gary

Congrat's Sam!!
It's great when someone intro's themself, and specially nice when we get a warm fuzzy when reading it!!

Good on ya!

Good deal Sam, way to go. Lots of pretty country in Quebec. Where is home for you? I hunted Caribou twice up at James Bay on the Trans Taiga road. Winter hunt by snowmobile. Very cold and risky at times. 1700 mile drive one way for me. Mother Nature almost got us back in 1999. Jan 13th LG4 reported -51F and we hunted that day on sk-doo. Hit slush. Dumbest thing I have done with rod or gun in hand. Hydro Quebec what an operation. The La Grande Riviere Complex is something. Great herds of Bou up there. Welcome to SC.org..Sam
eric

Sam,

Congratulations on your license.

Aviation is a difficult profession and lifestyle, but completely rewarding. You'll have some hard days, perhaps devastating, and some good days, possibly completely joyous. Don't let the bad days crush your spirit and don't let the good days drive your ego. Be dedicated and work hard. The rest seems to work itself out.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.

Way to go, there are two surefire way's to get some Super Cub time, find someone with a Cub and then.

# 1 Wax On

# 2 Wax Off :lol:

don't laugh, that's how I got my first Travelair biplane ride

Glenn

Hi Sam
Great job.
My advice would be to remember airplanes do funny things sometimes - so don't think you know it all until you have 10,000 hours! That one time you let your guard down can ruin your day. Read everything you can on aviation if you really want to be a good pilot - sign up for Aviation Magazine - they analyze the accidents - I find it very informative.
It's a great group - be sure to fly out to New Holsteins next summer - that's a total blast! And you will learn way more on the trip out there than you do flying locally.
Soon you will be able to visit friends just about anywhere! I thought you might enjoy this video I shot from my super cub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsCyizsMWo

Nothing beats a super cub with big 31 inch tires!

cliff in Maine

Hi everyone! thanks for all the kind words of encouragement! I really appreciate it and i will keep you all posted!

Sam

Hi, Its me again! About half a year ago, in my private license theory class, i got to know a guy with a 1946 J3 cub. we were supposed to go for a flight not long ago after he offered to bring me but he keeps letting me down.

Anyway, Today, I was speaking with a guy in my commercial license theory class and he owns a Citabria champion. After getting to know each other, he offered to pass the plane to me and my instructor (after Christmas) so i can build up a few hours in a tail dragger. So all i will have to pay is the gas in the plane and the instructor. ( I hope he wont let me down..)

This is the closest i will get to a cub for now. I believe it is a good start :p

I cant wait! I'll keep you all posted.

Sam

Back