Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Tailwheel Chain - Quick Links

Post Thanks / Like

Tailwheel Chain - Quick Links

After watching the AK Bushwheel video about correctly setting rudder/tailwheel chain length, I decided to use the quick links as shown in the video. Steve Pierce mentioned in one of the previous threads that I should use quick links with a cotter hole added. He buys from Maule Air. Wup at AK Bushwheels also had drilled links for sale. I also went to the local hardware store and found plain SS quick links made in China with a load rating on the tag that said 220 lb (not clear if this was a working load or breaking strength). My IA felt that I should use quick links with a load rating that was qualified by an international rating organization.
    So I ordered some quick links from both Maule and AK Bushwheels. I was happy to see that these companies buy from the world premier manufacturer of quick links, Peguet Maillon Rapide, a French company. The links are all stamped with the company name.
    This company makes quick links for mountain climbing, parachuting, motorized gliding, marine & agriculture. Their web site contains all of the qualification information to assure that high standards of material, manufacturing and quality control are maintained. There web site is : http://www.peguet.fr/gb/peguet-entreprise.html
    So that is what I learned, buy either from AK Bushwheels or Maule but avoid the hardware store lookalikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Darrel,

We put a set of these links on a Champ. They were from Maule. Never had any problems with them. we keyed them up and all was well. I would use them again.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    What do they do? Will they keep the spring from jumping out of the hole when the tailwheel shimmies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, thanks for the info.

Bob, the quick links replace the "paper clip" links that attach the chain to the tailwheel steering arms. They would not help in a shimmy. My experience with the paper clips is not so good. They eat into the steering arm and wear enough to cause some concern -- I saw that on my Cessna 120.
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like

Tailwheel Chain - Quick Links

I have the Maule links and like them.More area through the eye.

Bill

zane
    Maillon Rapide makes a variety of screw links like that in various shapes and sizes... we used to use them for leave-behind anchors in rock climbing. Cheap and strong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Darrel - I have noticed wear in both the rudder horn and the tailwheel ears, but not enough to really worry about. After 48 years of mostly touch and goes I will watch more carefully - and have another rudder ready to go with steel bushings in the arm.

I get shimmy about once every three years, and when I am too lazy to re-bush the tailwheel inevitably a spring jumps out - often to be found on our very busy runway (well, once). I have them captured with a highly suspect system, so at least they will follow me home after jumping out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had one of those paperclip type clips spread apart on me. I had good rudder authority on one direction but the other direction I had to use brake to make it effective. When we got out, I checked the springs. One of the clips was elongated and spread out. To this day, I can't explain how that could have happened since they are a pain to get the chain on. The better set up is the link that is cotter-keyed closed.

Post Thanks / Like

Chain links

Have had the spring jump out of the paperclip type but cured this potential by safety wiring all the all the joined pieces . Works good .

How much tension should there be on the springs ...at rest . This is probably personal preference but what is recommended . ...Thanks much .....RC

Post Thanks / Like
    I use just a little tension on a Scott/AKB 3200.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtokU8mIDQk&NR=1 Another version with a little more/different detail I found on youtube. I've got to stop spending so much time on youtube! Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, you flying yet?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, actually I circled your place a week ago or so and didn't see any action. No header tank leaks, I am good to go! Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have a recent source of getting one of these links?

Post Thanks / Like
    They don't have the hole but they work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Adamgrenda,

Call Maule and tell them what you need. I ordered some a few weeks ago.

Call (229) 985-2045

Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JWE View Post
    Adamgrenda,

Call Maule and tell them what you need. I ordered some a few weeks ago.

Call (229) 985-2045

called and order thanks a bunch.