• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J 3 stall speed

mikeo

GONE WEST
The September issue of Pilot Getaway on page nine says micro Vgs has a new kit for j3s that lowers the stall speed to 23mph can that be true?

Maybe a power (full) on stall speed of 23 but I doubt power off. I remember the original information from them (years ago) was "a 10% reduction in stall speed". That would have been less than 4 mph for a J3.

John Scott

Uh, could that be what is generally known in the industry as advertising:lol:?

Does Micro provide an Approved Flight Manual Supplement that provides updated airspeeds? Do they require that the airspeed instrument be re-marked to reflect these new airspeeds?

If not, then they didn't apply for this in their STC. Nothing wrong with that, but what it means is that any stall speed claims are advertising, and haven't been documented to the FAA sufficiently for certification.

That doesn't mean it's not accurate information necessarily...

Consider an RSTOL converted Cessna: Robertson claims 37 knot stall speed for the 185 (compared to ~56 knots without the kit), complete with flight manual supplement providing new airspeeds for approach, and new airspeed instrument markings required. Documented, and proven. NOT advertising.

I'm sure that going through what Robertson did to achieve that certification is pretty extensive (also read as expensive), and does it really matter? Maybe not, but they've at least proven that data to the FAA and there is no doubt about those claims.

MTV

mikeo,
from my limited experience vg's, on my 18, give me a power off stall at 35-37 ias but who knows the accuracy of the airspeed indicator. also with the wing rigged at 2.5 degree washout it really only mushes but at 1.8 washout(about 2+ mph faster) it does break nose down so be sure to check and set your wing rigging for what you want.

gary

I flew for a while a J-3 with VGs (longwinglover- it was N98872)....stall was in the mid-twenties. She would float!

I wonder what they changed? I bet Jerry Burr can gives us some insight. I bet he did the test flying.

J-3,J-4,J-5,PA-11_CS.gif

Our new J3 flies at an indicated 28 mph. That, of course, is not the true airspeed by a long shot. It is stock, except somebody left off a couple of fuselage fairings.

There is an AMD VG Cub here, and I would swear you could get out and walk next to it in the flare - that means nothing as well.

An inertial platform is probably the answer to most of these kinds of questions, with recording devices. That is pretty far-fetched at the moment, but I bet it won't be too many years before we can at least rent such a device for enough time to get really good answers.

The Robertson 185 was an interesting bird. I took the factory course. Great fun!

j 3 stall speed

i have a j-3 with vortex generators on the wings but not the tailfeathers, power off stall is a little lower but not 23, power on stall is probably in mid 20's, really big difference is in low speed aelron feel and control, when i come in at 40 i feel like i'm going 50,

I have VGs on my Legend.Stall power off is 36mph and power on I would have to look at a GPS because the ASI is 0.Ailerons are also effective at slow speeds.VGs under the horizontal also.I never seem to run out of elevator.

Bill

I flew a J-3 a lot for quite a few years, then added V generators, and thought that it made about one person difference. In other words, I could land as short with two, with generators, as I could before alone, without. Way better stall characteristics too, never really wanting to drop a wing much, even cross controlled. I really liked them on a J-3... Super Cub too.

UFO

Three weeks ago I was flying air cover for the recovery/capture of a loose lama in the Pasayten Wilderness. It broke loose from a pack string. It was very windy in the mountains and for over 5 hours we were either showing 3.3 or 95 mph on the GPS as we worked with the ground crew. They didn't catch it and last week they checked into the ranger station and asked if anyone had reported seeing the Lama. And they mentioned that they didn't have air support this week. The ranger said "What do you mean air support?" They said last week they had an airplane working for them. The ranger said that 6 people had stopped by and reported a UFO in the area. Said that it would dart across the valley and just stop. Hang there and not move. All morning and part of the afternoon. They explained it to the ranger and they all had a good laugh. Jerry B.

I'll have to get them for the tail, too.

My experience with the VGs on the wings mirrors Willyb's. I like them. With power I can go even slower. People on the ground say it looks like I'm just hanging there. With a bit of wind I can go backwards....

:lol:

Any of you guys that have put these on a J-3 notice any loss of cruise speed? I know, I know, it's a J-3 and not that fast anyway, but just wanted to know if anyone noticed even a little difference after they put on a set of the Micro's.

Pat

If I were flying open cockpit and had VGs on top of my helmet would it make me think slower but have better reaction time? :roll:

Glenn

skywagon8a said:
An unmodified J-3 will go backwards with a little wind.

Heck, anything will go backwards with a little wind. With the VGs I can fly that much slower to meet that speed.... :D

Did you notice the improved vg's for the tail is only $695 but if you bought the kit to upgrade the tail its only $150 as you already paid the $695. I don't know if they will go good to those of us that put the kit on without the tail included. Should have known they would do it because the SC has the tail kit included. Bill it sure seems slower in the backseat than the front when you have no control doesn't it. Maybe my airspeed is off a little but as long as it stays in the air I guess it doesn't matter.

JimC The article in pilot getaways said it was true airspeed not indicated! That's why my question can that be true? MikeO Maybe Jerry Burr could comment!

JimC The article in pilot getaways said it was true airspeed not indicated! That's why my question can that be true? MikeO Maybe Jerry Burr could comment!

The stock J3 stalls around 39 or so. You would think it would be really easy for a moderately skilled pilot to tell the difference between landing at 39 and at 28. That is a 28% difference!

There is some indication that the Super Cubs with VGs land ever so slightly shorter, but I think it would be obvious to even bone dead pilots like me if there was really an almost 30% improvement. Haven't flown a J3 yet with VGs.

Opinion.

bob turner said:
The stock J3 stalls around 39 or so. You would think it would be really easy for a moderately skilled pilot to tell the difference between landing at 39 and at 28. That is a 28% difference!

There is some indication that the Super Cubs with VGs land ever so slightly shorter, but I think it would be obvious to even bone dead pilots like me if there was really an almost 30% improvement. Haven't flown a J3 yet with VGs.

Opinion.

Bob-

39. Is that with a calibrated ASI? Would that be TAS or IAS? Or is it GPS speed? :drinking:

Back