• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Landing Gear and Landing Gear Fittings.

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
Well my in-laws were in Kentucky last night meandering there way back to Texas with Bill Tracy's Super Cub so I have been getting my parts list together and researching a bit. I remember DW installing these heavy duty front gear fittings from Airframes Alaska but I don't remember any details. Does anyone know what makes them better. Will call when AK wakes up but thought someone here might know. http://www.airframesalaska.com/landinggear.htm

I have also been researching 3" extended gear. Pricing for landing gear, lower struts and cabane are as follows:
Cub Crafters $1710.68
Airframes $1366.00
Atlee Dodge $1425.00

I have been told not to mix and match different manufacturers components. Seems there have been some alignment issues with certain combinations. I see where Cub Crafters has an axle machined out of solid piece of 4130. Any other preferences, advantages or dislikes?
http://www.cubcrafters.com/services/parts/lgm_extended-gear.aspx

Steve Pierce said:
Does anyone know what makes them better. Will call when AK wakes up but thought someone here might know.

looks to be much thicker metal for the part with the cabane ears on them

mike mcs repair said:
Steve Pierce said:
Does anyone know what makes them better. Will call when AK wakes up but thought someone here might know.

looks to be much thicker metal for the part with the cabane ears on them

That is what I was thinking. I know DW ordered these and installed on his frame when he was here last Feb.

That is what used to be Turbine Cubs of Wyoming. They are experimental as far as I know. Appreciate the heads up.

My 12 started life on Airframes 3" extended Cub gear and Atlee Dodge 3" extended PA-12 shock struts (Airframes did not offer 12 struts). The combo worked perfectly. When I acquired my FliLite skis the fittings wouldn't fit on the Airframes gear so I had FAD make me a set of 3" extended gear with integrated ski fittings. I re-used the same shock struts and that combination also works perfectly. I've heard from others that the two brands of gear require the same brand of shock struts to attain proper gear geometry. That has not been true on my plane. In any event, don't forget you'll need new struts with 3" extended gear.

Stewart

I have been back and forth on the idea of standard gear verses extended gear. I am staying with the 26 good years though.

Bill

For one thing, the 31" ABW's will absorb a whole lot more loads on the airframe than the hard as nails biased ply blimp tires.

I have had both. No comparison when it comes to protecting your airframe.

Lou

Back