• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Do landing gear attach fittings need gussets?

Dan2+2

Paducah, KY
I was looking at the retractable gear thread and started considering trianguler gussets for the attach fittings on my exp 2+2 fuselage. Do most cubs have them? Looks like cheap insurance to me, but maybe there is something I am missing.

The front fittings only get them on forward side so float attach will fit like show in that thread

have seen many cracked off rear attach ears, and many more partially cracked

I agree with what you said about the cabane V ears in the other post, Mike. Piper never meant to have the washers welded all the way around - I would imagine it weakens that ear a little. The gear attache is pretty tough.

Bushwhacker Air said:
I agree with what you said about the cabane V ears in the other post, Mike. Piper never meant to have the washers welded all the way around - I would imagine it weakens that ear a little. The gear attache is pretty tough.

they seem to always be cracking at bottom end of weld bead by washers...

what would be a good simple project I never got to, and easy for someone to produce(who has a pma program already) is a bolt on doubler plate that goes on gear fittings from gear bolt to cabane bolt.....

these would save plane form/prevent an ear failure period

And the upper safety cable if tight would save you in case the cabne V itself breaks

what would be a good simple project I never got to, and easy for someone to produce(who has a pma program already) is a bolt on doubler plate that goes on gear fittings from gear bolt to cabane bolt.....

I already have the tooling for the compound bend - probably a .063 plate would work. Add this to my list of things to do :-?

Living in New York, I rarely see SC injuries - just 1 that I have had the pleasure to work on, and the was a float accident with little fuse damage.

Bushwhacker Air said:

I already have the tooling for the compound bend - probably a .063 plate would work. Add this to my list of things to do :-?

Living in New York, I rarely see SC injuries - just 1 that I have had the pleasure to work on, and the was a float accident with little fuse damage.

think it would sell good, and probably be a minor installation???? bolt on.....

mike mcs repair said:
Bushwhacker Air said:

think it would sell good, and probably be a minor installation???? bolt on.....

think it would be flat ,or a diffrent bend?? since it would be on top of gear bolt bushings..??

How about stainless steel dumbbell shaped loose pieces that fit in front and behind the cabane ears like washers under the two bolt heads?
Darrel
2006_P8030008a.jpg

Darrel Starr said:
How about stainless steel dumbbell shaped loose piece that fit in front and behind the cabane ears like washers under the two bolt heads?
Darrel
2006_P8030008a.jpg

thats exactly what we mean :)

One of us should draw that dogbone on AutoCad and have about a hundred of them nested to laser or water jet cut out of a large sheet of Stainless - how thick? .094?, .125?
By the end of the month, I can get a "virtual XP" version of "Windows 7" to finally overlay Vista. Then maybe I finally can load my copy of AutoCad 2002 onto my present computer and be back in business creating drawings the laser can recognize. Will have to do this in between working on the basement, etc. Retirement is hell.
Darrel

The halves of the mounts have a slight compound bend in them. In order to distribute the load in the event of a heavy impact, the "doubler" would have to fit snug against the mount.

Stainless is the right way to go, I agree.

My side plates are .100 thick - stock Piper were .095.

You would have to counter bore the back side of the plate where it slide over the bushing welds for the bracket where the landing gear mounts.

.100 would be plenty thick I would think. The bushing sits above the bracket .150", so for the bolt to hold it tight, it would have to contact the reinforcement plate. Add a .050 washer with a center hole the size of the OD of the bushing.

Now that I've said all of that, you can build that bracket to withstand a ton of abuse, but given the right "whack", something else will fail, and that may not be good. :eek:

From you guys that have seen it all - when the mount fails at the cabane ears, is there damage elsewhere?

Why not install in on the backside, give it an extra ear with hole, and use it for your safety cable bracket/attach point as well?

How 'bout making that dogbone washer with slightly oversize holes, so that it fits on easily, but if the original bracket breaks the dogbone can take up the load?

I REALLY like the idea, and if y'all make some I want a set! If not, I'll make a set the hard way - hacksaw and file, and vise and hammer. Hey wait - - another possibility is that Steve at super-12.com has some CNC toys and access to additional ones - I bet he could bang em out - - - I'll point out this thread to him!

Thank you for sharing!

Today I discovered a crack on the gusset on the left front landing gear bracket. I have the Atlee-Dondge safety cables, and the metal tab for the safety cables was ground off so it would clear the gusset. It looks like the metal tab was pushing hard against the gusset. The rest of the bracket appears to be fine, as in no cracks around the bolt holes for the cabane or the gear strut and no other visible cracks. There is not a gusset on the right front bracket. My cub is a PA18A-150. Is this gusset from the factory? How do I fix it? Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Cracked Gusset.JPG

Attachments

• Cracked Gusset.JPG
    Cracked Gusset.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 361
Today I discovered a crack on the gusset on the left front landing gear bracket. I have the Atlee-Dondge safety cables, and the metal tab for the safety cables was ground off so it would clear the gusset. It looks like the metal tab was pushing hard against the gusset. The rest of the bracket appears to be fine, as in no cracks around the bolt holes for the cabane or the gear strut and no other visible cracks. There is not a gusset on the right front bracket. My cub is a PA18A-150. Is this gusset from the factory? How do I fix it? Any help is appreciated.

Mike

View attachment 10622

yes gusset is from factory on -18

the safety cable was supposed to be on rear of fitting where there is no gusset

grind out crack and reweld(fabric prep and all that so you don't burn it down...)

not a scary crack though... (I don't think many pipers have that gusset at all -12??)

someone looks to have overtightened that bolt.....

Back