• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Retreactable gear cub

Bill got her painted white yesterday and then drove to Oklahoma with us to load Cathy's Tri-Pacer. :D Looks like he will be flying again shortly. These pictures are up through silver. He works to fast for me to take pictures.
100_3685.JPG

100_3684.JPG

Steve and Bill, keep up the great posts. It's really encouraging to see what a couple of experienced determined craftsmen can accomplish is relatively short order. And then you get OTHER cool stuff done too. Unlike me.. :roll:

Thanks. cubscout

You guys are making me jealous working this fast. I feel stuck in cement in comparison.

Keep it up. That'll fly in no time.

Don't give me any credit, this is all Bill. I just point and he does. :lol: We did get the engine mostly put back together yesterday.

What's the latest in Graham? I figure this plane must be near flying soon, based on past progress. You guys getting a lot done, or does Bill have a job and a life? :D :D

Bill had to go back to his real job for a few weeks. Fuselage is painted and I have been finishing up the boot cowl and painting the panel. We pick Bill up for another two week work session on Sat. I imagine if I don't get hung up on some painting project it will be ready to fly when he leaves this time. :wink:

I sure hope that I have a flying airplane by the time I leave. Bags are packed and I am ready to go. Work Friday night and catch a flight Saturday morning after work. Its just that I am worried of flying Southwest thru STL. I hope you haven't been thru STL latly Cal.

Bill,

Did you make any provisions for a gear attach point inspection hole. Or maybe it's not necessary since you installed stronger attach brackets?

Mike Skup,

I think you mentioned a dogbone-shaped modification - did anyone come up with photos or a sketch of this installation, and is there a supplier you can connect me with?

Eric

Speedo said:
Bill,

Mike Skup,

I think you mentioned a dogbone-shaped modification - did anyone come up with photos or a sketch of this installation, and is there a supplier you can connect me with?

Eric

Actually that 3 hole thing was someone elses idea on this thread... I was just talking of a 2 hole for gear bolt to cabane top... but the 3 hole one is much better idea..

The bushwacker guy on here said he could I think... easy part of job is it with 3 holes drilled in it, hard part is you need to have a big nicopress tool for the 1/4" cable..

I never did do a mock-up so I could make a drawing yet....

Things are busy busy busy at Pierce Aero, Graham, TX

Bill's working hard but says he may have to come back after Christmas to finish it.

IMG_0002.JPG

Cathy is working on one of the rebuilds

IMG_00071.JPG

Bill's making progress, too bad he is leaving Sat. morning, he could finish it up in another week. I guess Cathy will finish it so she will have a Super Cub to fly. :lol:
100_4533.JPG

100_4535.JPG

Bill, I kinda like the green stripes. It's about the the shade of, ohh, I don't know... 3M Fineline masking tape maybe :lol:

Bill, Steve, Cathy, and anyone else involved, keep up the good work, and keep posting the images.

Thanks. cubscout

Bill,
I see the wisdom in you not getting a calendar with January in it....why drive you nuts. I hope to see her flying for the restoration seminar. Why you would attend I have no clue as you have gotten all that you need this past few months. Looking GOOD!
John

Flying Miss Daisy said:
Bill,
I see the wisdom in you not getting a calendar with January in it....why drive you nuts. I hope to see her flying for the restoration seminar. Why you would attend I have no clue as you have gotten all that you need this past few months. Looking GOOD!
John

That is why in the survey section of things that I didn't want to see this year I wrote in "aircraft maintenance". This year I was hoping to just sit around and watch. But I have decided that the Pierces have been plotting against me to make sure that this project lasts till February just so I can finish it up then.

I have to thank Steve for the nice red paint. The weather didn't cooperate very well on my last trip and I ran out of time, before the red was sprayed.

Finally! Someone that knows what there doing.

You go Lee--get-er-dun

That is looking good. Maybe I will have an airplane to fly in February. I just need to send Lee one more 6-pack of Red Bull and that should just about finish it up.

I agree with Lou....Cathy flys the Super Cub Steve flys the Tri Pacer it has always worked well in the past :evil: I always assumed the Super cub on the home ranch is taking so long because he would never see Cathy if he had one. :lol:

39Y is looking good first time I have ever seen her without a dent in the top of the boot cowl. Hey Bill while you are at it why don't you............. :wink:

Gear got painted today before the cold hits. Man do I love my new Sata paint gun.
100_4638.JPG

And the engine got hung. :D
100_4639.JPG

Cathy is fixing to have a Super Cub to fly. 8) :lol:

Steve,

Which process is this? Polyfiber with Polytone/Aerothane??? Also, do you use HVLP? I am going to get a good gun too but do not want to go to HVLP. I've been told by several different people that it leaves orange peel. I've also heard that it is dependent on the pressure at the gun. I still think that the old school suction guns are the best. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Kevin

Back