• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Retreactable gear cub

Hey Bill-

Really sorry to see your SC banged up, glad you weren't hurt. We'll miss you and Yvette down here. Hope you're back in the air real soon!

Steve

Ouch! All bangs and bruises by friend's hurt, but this one hurt a bit more as I think I owned a bit of the back seat in the old girl. Hope her recovery is quick and as painless as possible.... :cry:

Bill,

Sorry for your misfortune, but I am surprised that at the speed that I hear you work at it's not already fixed! Did it happen at a real airstrip or in a field that you were landing at? Good luck on getting it fixed soon.

Pat

Hey Bill,

What can I say,,, join the crowd... Hope you get her fixed up real soon..

Sorry for the misfortune.

CubLite said:
Bill,

Sorry for your misfortune, but I am surprised that at the speed that I hear you work at it's not already fixed! Did it happen at a real airstrip or in a field that you were landing at? Good luck on getting it fixed soon.

Pat
It was a real strip but it was not on a chart.

Bill,

Many bright sides, no mention of blood anywhere, most parts are usable, does not look like a helicopter retrieval.

My guess is much like Mike, check your hydrosorbs and cabane tabs, appears to be a failure in that area on a modest landing and they all the stress bounces out through the cables to the gear legs, (done that once :evil: ).

Logan, check out the triangle that Mike mentions for your tabs, it is a good thing!

Bill, I feel your pain my friend.
Glad you did not hurt the wings.
Last February, I also had a gear collapse on my 12. Did not ground loop, hit prop or bend wing. The failure was at the front gear attach bracket, on inspecting further, we found hairline crack on the left bracket too. Remedy: new brackets and PA18 conversion with 3" extended HD gear. Since the welder ended up setting the plane on fire (put out quickly) and a few more mods and STC's, we decided to strip and re-fabric; new instrument panel, etc. It will be some time yet till it flies again. I got sidelined in June, with a busted hand that will take a year to nurse back when I hit a Moose with my motorcycle... Not a good year...

Hope you get her back in the air fast and good job on saving the wings and limiting the damage.
JD
4_Ouch.jpg

Hey Bill,
Soo sorry to see your beautiful little bird banged up like that, but glad to know that you are ok..
hope you are back in the air soon.
cheers,
Phil

retractable gear cub

Bill, Glad you are OK. Always hard to see those type of photos. I like my photos of your SC better. Jerry

Barnstormers today:

NEW BORER PROP • $2,800 • BEST DEAL EVER! • McCauley 1A175/GM8243 Test flown once only. Perfect! Take advantage of the savings now. • Contact Charles F. Fligel, Owner - located Butte, MT USA • Telephone: 406-494-4836 • Posted September 30, 2009 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad

Well my In laws departed this morning for an expense paid tour of Ohio. They made it to IL today and should be heading back to Texas with Bill's slightly damaged Super Cub. Then we will be waiting for Bill to show up and start the whirlwind he is known for generating while here working on airplanes. :D

mike mcs repair said:
From the cabane ears picture looks like rear Cabane ear was already broken off and front one finally let loose

Just what I see too.

same thing happened to my SC last winter, except the safety cables held mine together.

He is invited but I think he is giving a lesson on how to tighten spokes on a bicycle/motorcycle rim or something.

behindpropellers said:
Maybe we should put the J-5 on the trailer with your cub? :D

You better catch my parents as they are coming through OH then. My mom told me this morning that they are going to go back to OH to look around next time. She is really having a good time.

Cathy Pierce said:
behindpropellers said:
Maybe we should put the J-5 on the trailer with your cub? :D

You better catch my parents as they are coming through OH then. My mom told me this morning that they are going to go back to OH to look around next time. She is really having a good time.

Thats good. Send Lee with them next time and I will take him skiing :)

Tell them they better look around this year while they are here. They are going to be in the prettiest part of Ohio and the leaves are really turning this week.

Let me tell you, Lee is already mad as a hornet because he wanted to go with them to see Bill's cub. I don't think my parents could have dealt with Lee driving for 18 hours. :eek:

Sorry to see it like that Bill but glad your OK, best of luck getting her back in the air soon. DW

Bill, sorry to hear about your airplane. I am sure you will get it going again soon and that it will be better than before.

On a side note:
I have seen two Cubs with one broken off front cabane V tab, both were floatplanes and still floating. One of them I noticed when I loaded it on the trailer to pull it out of the water for the winter. The student pilot/owner had not noticed anything amiss.

I have been wondering if some of the unexplained gear failures on land planes could have been caused by these tabs breaking off. Float plane failures apparently have some more latitude.

Thank you Bill for sharing your experience and starting a good discussion. I am looking forward to your repair reports.

Vickie

Looking at all the ears there is no sign of rust from a previous crack. But it did break right were the washer that was mentioned previously was welded. I don't know if this cause a bit of a flex point or not. What ever it is an area that needs more attention. I haven't cut the gear legs open yet but there is no external rust and no rust visible where they split open. I really think that the cabane ear was the part that failed.

Back