Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airwolf Minisep Air/Oil Separator

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Steve, glad you caught it with no more damage than an oil spill. The hose that kinked -- was it one of the bright blue silicone ones like I have on my system? I will take another look at mine too.
    By the way, I really like the "breather sump" I sdded -- see pictures in an earlier post - just make sure the top of the "sump" is wide open to the atmosphere. In an hour's flight at 30F air temp and with oil temp maxing out at 172F, I collected about an ounce of water that had a thin skim of scummy oil on it. I just drain this out at the end of a flight using the same plastic container I use for the gas drains. Now I get nothing on the belly. Before this "sump" was added (lots of people use a baby bottle) water vapor with a small amount of oil was condensing on the belly in cold weather.

Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Darrel,, it is the same hose...Watch out for kinks,,,, Before I put the oil drain hose back in the accessory case,, I dumped it in a baby bottle.... But being very cold out and the hot air going in the baby bottle caused condensation... I could get 1/3 water in the bottle on a cold day... then that night it would freeze and my drain hose was then frozen in a chunk of ice....

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, thanks for the info, I'll watch out. I did buy "just in case" a couple of tightly bent 90 degree 3/4 dia alum tube sections from an outfit in Detroit. As I first started to install the separator, I planned to ask Bob Eckstein to weld these together to form a nice tight 180 degree turn. So far I haven't felt I needed to do that since the blue hose made the turn and, I think, keeps the vapor warmer on its way to the separator. But, with your experience in mind, I will stare at the installation one more time and possibly revert to that original design.
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    Another update...

TOOK IT OFF!!!

I had it mounted right next to the #4 cylinder to get as much heat as possible... But it has to be 212 degrees and it was not happenin....

Oil and moisture condensed in the steel wool and although it probably did not freeze,, it gelled up and looked like snot. It would not let the filter breathe and it backflowed from the accessory case and out the breather tube and blew oil out all over my plane again... All this happened on a cross country where the rpm's were 2450... Fortunately it happened not too far from a planned fuel stop... If it had happened earlier,, I might not have caught it till the oil pressure went to zip...

Outside temps were in the 20's

I talked to Johnny at Airwolf and he said to rob some heat off the top of the cylinders with a small scat hose and point it at the separator.... I thought that would be like some Government program that didnt work, it so I didnt do that...

Then he suggested just to unhook it in the winter and put it back on in the summer,,, when the temps are higher... Not really a pain in the butt,, just a hastle..

So,, for now and probably forever,, it is off....The back of the cowl is open so much,, it is hard to heat it up...

Post Thanks / Like
    SteveE, sorry it didn't work for you. The last I flew, the ambient temp was 25F and the oil was at 172F. I got about an ounce or two of water in the "baby bottle" in about an hour with just a scum of oil on the water. So all seems well -- no milky signs of oil in the sump. I have my oil separator clear on the far right side behind the #3 cylinder with a branch of the Leading Edge exhaust system just under the separator. So mine seems to be working as advertised at least it does down to 8F. It looks like the exhaust being close by is an important factor.
    Darrel

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be true about the exhaust Darrel,,, I have a Sutton exhaust in the front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two questions:

1. can this be used on a C90?

2. is there an STC required or what is the paperwork?

thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot (most or all?) of vacuum systems that use a wet vacuum pump incorporate an air/oil separator.
    They're usually plumbed back into the engine, at the case or a valve cover.
    FWIW I have one of those air/oil separators, if anyone wants to buy it for use as a crankcase breather.
    Dunno if I'd want to plumb the stuff that blows out of the crankcase breather back into the engine though--
    think I'd plumb it into a bottle & empty it out every few flights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vac filter & separator.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	341.2 KB 
ID:	49173
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!