Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Floats for Super Cub

Post Thanks / Like

Floats for Super Cub

Is there a physical difference between CAP 2000 Floats and EDO 2000 Floats.

Is there a difference in performance when on a Super Cub, such as type of water each can handle, take-off distance assuming same load, etc.

Opinions on best performing float for Super Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not gotten the chance to fly Cap 2000s.

Floats will perform differently at different weights... I flew a cub with a set of Aqua 1800's that was a rocket empty, but loaded was a total pig.

Today, I really want to fly the Aerocett's. Lightest, and BIG for rough water. No rivits to drag, and the lines look great...

Some day I will get the chance.

One other note: rigging them is an important part for performance. I am a believer that you should rig them square, then move you fuse left and right trying them out. I get 5+ mph if my floats are rigged out 1".
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58
    One other note: rigging them is an important part for performance. I am a believer that you should rig them square, then move you fuse left and right trying them out. I get 5+ mph if my floats are rigged out 1".
    George, you are full of it.
    Yet another interesting tidbit.
    Can you expound on this offset fuse theory?

Oh, and will this work both upwind & downwind in Canuck air??
    Nimpo Lake Logan... boonie SuperCubber
    200mi (300km) from nearest stoplight... just right! - "Que hesitatus fornicatus est"

Post Thanks / Like
    Logan,

Nah, George has just stated that he's a half a bubble out of plumb.....

Sorry, George, I just couldn't let that one pass............

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, 1" is about two bubbles!

No offense taken...

Logan,

This is how I see it

You got floats that are put together after parts put in jigs, people tweaking them to go together, and then repaired...

You got planes that are put together, and not always the same...

My friend had a problem with a boat taking the Huskey apart, so he made the insurance put it back to 'factory square', the factory measured three birds, new on ramp, and the distance from the outside of tail to ouside of alierons were as much as 3" different from side to side on the same plane... from the factory!

So now you got a set of floats that are suspect as to 'square', and a plane that might have been square when new, but after a few years of hard landings, patches and the like it might not be so much. Then you through in the rigging of the wings!

Now put the two together and ask yourself: how do I get them square to each other????

So you pick a point on each wing, and front and rear on each float to measure, and square up the floats and plane.

How many of these 'points' are in perfect symmetry?

So one time we had trouble getting my bird true, and it was time to fly. I told the guys, we will fix it tomorrow after we fly it and shake it up a bit. Well, she was a full 1" out, and flew a full 7 mph faster.

So maybe our points of measure were different distance, maybe the floats were not square to themselves, I do not know, but bottom line is that square to a tape may not be the best performance you can get.

If you want to argue the point , bring lawyers guns and money up, and I will demonstrate. (or your fishing pole! )

Post Thanks / Like

Cub Floats

Mr. Canoehead:

I have flown both on Cubs and couldn't see much difference. If you look at the weights though, you will find that the CAP's are heavier. It seems like they were something like 35-50 pounds heavier. Maybe someone might know the exact amount. I think they are probably a little sturdier. I run the Baumann's and like them a lot. Flew the new Aerocets and think I could get to like them pretty quick. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Good points. We were quite anal about getting the "new" floats rigged square, and "tape measure" square w/the tail wheel bolt. (Spent quite a bit of time w/the cables!)

I'm gonna do the wings this winter so will check/adjust the dangle angles when they go back on. How would you adjust the fore/aft angles of the wings??

bring lawyers guns and money up, and I will demonstrate. (or your fishing pole! )
    Yeah, we still gotta do that George/Logan fishing derby, but no time this year, can make plans next spring.
    200mi (300km) from nearest stoplight... just right! - "Que hesitatus fornicatus est"

Post Thanks / Like
    Logan,

I do not have a formula. My solution is sort of cave man... try one way, then the next.

If my judgment is correct, I will have the only plane that needs to be off set.

I just was informed that I won a large chunk, (for me) of the airport job here, so next summer I should have some time. Lots of work spring and fall, hit and miss all summer.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    George, where is your rigging 1" out? DAVE

Post Thanks / Like
    My solution is sort of cave man... try one way, then the next.
    Understand. Tough to document that kind'a procedure.

If my judgment is correct,
    Wow, you left your self wide open to another MTV comment there!

Lots of work spring and fall, hit and miss all summer.
    FISHIN' is good spring & fall. Where are your priorities?!

Post Thanks / Like
    George, what do you mean by 1" out? Where is it 1" out.

I'm working on a PA-18S speed mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Dave,

Computer mouse tu'ed last night, and got pulled out to do a march to protect trees today. (after blowing a stalk on a tree killing LARGE forkhorn, I had a 3 point walk up to me from behind a rock and get away )

So I am back.

1" out on the tail, almost square on the nose. Measured from forward lift strut wing attach bolt to front of floats and back of floats.

Priorities????? I am looking at being able to afford a new set of floats after this job! That is where my priorities lie. I got fish here in the summer, so maybe you come north?

Post Thanks / Like
    The Boys have it right, you can almost never true up any kind of cub as they do move within themselves over time.......I just put on a new set of Baumann's and I have had to tighten my wire's twice as things move around over time and rough water landings. but it still flies real nice and speedy!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have any question's about rigging give a call to the tech rep at Baumann, Allan Thing, he is real sharp and can give you some good tips.
    If you get lost while flying, don't try hail a cop. Pick up the first railroad you find and hug it until you get somewhere.