• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fair Price for Supercub Project?

Junior

Edmonton AB
I have regrettably come to the conclusion that I will never get to putting my Cub back together since I put her into storage about 5 years ago, between 3 children and a Military flying career.

It's a 1956 PA-18A with a Lycoming 0-320 150 hp, Mode c transponder and flip-flop radio, tail hook. It was airworthy when I pulled it apart, but in need of a fabric job (showing its age). I can't recall the total time or time since overhaul, but can get the numbers from my AME.

Just looking for some opinions on what she would be worth and the best way to sell it, or let me know if you are interested.

Junior

Show us a photo of the fuselage frame. Also, a photo of the cam. Also, a photo of the inside of the wings, and also inside the tailfeathers. :D

Impossible, yes, but it's very difficult to put a number on something that could be flawed in as many ways as an airplane can be. :D DAVE

Hold onto it. In this economy it may be your best investment. Sure beats the stock market. Right know i would trade most of my stocks for a couple of cubs.

Gander has a point.

Also, somehow, a rebuilt and fresh SuperCub brings ALOT more money than the cost of a project, materials,and labor to get the airplane fresh. ................doesn't work like that with a champ, t-crate, or even PA-12 or -14. Magic, as long as the base project is in decent condition!

Here are some photos of the Cub. I bit ugly but there is still something about it. Sort of like those people blessed with an ugly kid; they still love it anyway no matter what.

2510.0 Total Time
2508.5 on the Prop
1308.6 on the Eng

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

Remember the advertising is free to donating members in the classified section and the forums are not the place to advertise.

Thanks

sj

Thanks Guys, if anything you guys have given me more reasons to try to hang on to the bird for a bit longer..."Well that is what I'll tell the wife until I bring a wing home and she opens the garage door!". ;) I'm not about to make any decisions right now but will rather sit on the whole idea for a bit.

Honestly I think the thing that convinced me the most was when I went to take pictures, my kids were all excited and were climbing all over it, the two older boys both asked when am I going to take them flying in it, they honestly don't care what shape it's in they just like the idea of spending time with dad, and flying like superman. I know when I was growing up flying in it are still some of my favorite memories.

If and when I get to putting her back together I'm sure I'll be looking for additional pointers.

Thanks especially Fortysix12

Junior

Lets see: is it more cool to play in the sandbox, or help dad with his airplane?

Is it more cool to work on a car, or dad's airplane?

Is it more cool to cruise the strip in mom's van, or go fly dad's cub?

Sounds like a family project already there! :wink:

Junior said:
Thanks Guys, if anything you guys have given me more reasons to try to hang on to the bird for a bit longer..."Well that is what I'll tell the wife until I bring a wing home and she opens the garage door!". ;) I'm not about to make any decisions right now but will rather sit on the whole idea for a bit.

Honestly I think the thing that convinced me the most was when I went to take pictures, my kids were all excited and were climbing all over it, the two older boys both asked when am I going to take them flying in it, they honestly don't care what shape it's in they just like the idea of spending time with dad, and flying like superman. I know when I was growing up flying in it are still some of my favorite memories.

If and when I get to putting her back together I'm sure I'll be looking for additional pointers.

Thanks especially Fortysix12

Junior

Then again, Just how bad was the fabric, I have seen many taken apart when there was definitely more fun left. Maybe the right move is to put those wings back on and give the kids some good memories while they are still kids? In any case it's easy to sell a flying project and just as easy to ask a little too much for it and enjoy it while you wait for the market to catch up with your price. I have many hours in tired old Pipers and I am pretty sure I have had just as much fun as I would have had in a pretty one. Just a thought.

Back