Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combining in Montana

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm just lurking View Post
    I've considered taking that route but feel like being a novice pilot in an uninsured airplane is testing my luck a tad bit more than I'm comfortable with.
    This is a defeatist attitude. You are assuming that you will damage the airplane. Find a good instructor, learn to fly properly. The airplane will survive as will you.
    The 85 hp Champ in post #40 would be an excellent choice. I'll not go into details, but there is no need to use a plane with all the whistles and bells while learning to fly. In fact, you will learn more without the gadgets.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a $12,000 Piper Clipper with 2 friends in Idaho and trailered it home. As soon as the first bills came due the first partner bailed and a year later I bought the other partner out. I traded work on my instructors Cessna 140 for instruction. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. I flew everyday the weather allowed.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes CharlieN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    This is a defeatist attitude. You are assuming that you will damage the airplane. Find a good instructor, learn to fly properly. The airplane will survive as will you.
    The 85 hp Champ in post #40 would be an excellent choice. I'll not go into details, but there is no need to use a plane with all the whistles and bells while learning to fly. In fact, you will learn more without the gadgets.
    I had an over weight champ that I learned tailwheel in. It was great. I learned to fly. I relied on the wing and not the HP. You’re much better off if you can do that, and a few years down the road buy a supercub. Would I trade my cub for the champ now? Heck no. But the new owner does send pictures and he is really enjoying it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes skywagon8a, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For not much more money than a Champ, you could even buy a PA-18 95, PA-11, or a J3...

Post Thanks / Like
    In the seventies National Geographic did a huge article on custom cutting. The romance of big mechanized and mobile operations, very American. Now we need the Aussies?

Use a Champ for quick success on your ticket. Then find a Cub and learn to land.
    What's a go-around?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the above. I bought a non-electric Taylorcraft, then found a good instructor. Needed to rent a plane for night and VOR stuff, but for learning the basics of operating an airplane, the T-craft was excellent. Just do it. Buy liability insurance only. And have fun!
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post