• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Poly Fiber quantities

ep2

I lost my Poly fiber manual.
I need to know what's the quantities used for covering a Super cub. I'll appreciate if someone can scan the table and send it to me to: ep2@netvision.net.il

Thanks

If I were you, I would measure and order based on your knowledge of yardsticks. I ordered what Ray recommended in 1968, and wound up giving away about eight gallons of poly dope. It was a lot cheaper in the beginning, but still pricey for a guy making $92 a month.

bob turner said:
If I were you, I would measure and order based on your knowledge of yardsticks. I ordered what Ray recommended in 1968, and wound up giving away about eight gallons of poly dope. It was a lot cheaper in the beginning, but still pricey for a guy making $92 a month.

yah most times I end up with MUCH extra...

adjust your gun right and not waste so much to the exhaust fan......

Try Superflite. You can cover an entire Super Cub with less than 10 gallons of material. Plus there's a special running now - buy a complete kit and receive 20% off. You can cover and paint that plane for about $2800. Give them a call! 800-323-0611. www.superflite.com

Molly - they seem to be really nice folks. Is that special for the Urethane kit or for the nitrate/butyrate process? Is shipping a big deal for the entire kit to, say, the west coast?

Think twice about nitrate dope, extremely flammable. I know, they say that the buty top coats negates that, but from my experience, I would not bet my airplane on it. On a Cub in Stits, 50 yds fabric, 8 rolls 2 inch surface tape, 2 rolls 3 inch surface tape, 2 rolls 3/8 reinforcing tape, 1 roll rib stitch cord, 1 roll machine sewing thread, 1 gal poly -tac
5 gal poly brush, 7 gal poly spray, 5 gal reducer, 5 gal poly tone base color, 2 qt. trim color in poly tone, 1 gal matching acrylic enamel base color, 1 qt enamel trim. With these quantities, you will not have much left over. Cost should be around $2,000.

Steve

You had one burn up? I remember those quantities from my first cover job.

My personal Cub is Ceconite with most surfaces Acrylic Enamel finish. Done in 1976, and it still shines pretty good. A few cracks are starting to show up. Total outside storage is over ten years.

The new Cub is Stitts - Poly Tone. We will never get it polished enough to call it shiny. Every single stress point is cracked. Done in 1990, but not by a really talented fabric guy. Still, it is quite airworthy.

Shipping won't be too bad-no HAZMAT fees so for total shipment, expect to spend about $100-$120.

Back