Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Poly Fiber quantities

Post Thanks / Like

Poly Fiber quantities

I lost my Poly fiber manual.
    I need to know what's the quantities used for covering a Super cub. I'll appreciate if someone can scan the table and send it to me to: ep2@netvision.net.il

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were you, I would measure and order based on your knowledge of yardsticks. I ordered what Ray recommended in 1968, and wound up giving away about eight gallons of poly dope. It was a lot cheaper in the beginning, but still pricey for a guy making $92 a month.

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner
    If I were you, I would measure and order based on your knowledge of yardsticks. I ordered what Ray recommended in 1968, and wound up giving away about eight gallons of poly dope. It was a lot cheaper in the beginning, but still pricey for a guy making $92 a month.
    yah most times I end up with MUCH extra...

adjust your gun right and not waste so much to the exhaust fan......

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Superflite. You can cover an entire Super Cub with less than 10 gallons of material. Plus there's a special running now - buy a complete kit and receive 20% off. You can cover and paint that plane for about $2800. Give them a call! 800-323-0611. www.superflite.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Molly - they seem to be really nice folks. Is that special for the Urethane kit or for the nitrate/butyrate process? Is shipping a big deal for the entire kit to, say, the west coast?

Post Thanks / Like
    Think twice about nitrate dope, extremely flammable. I know, they say that the buty top coats negates that, but from my experience, I would not bet my airplane on it. On a Cub in Stits, 50 yds fabric, 8 rolls 2 inch surface tape, 2 rolls 3 inch surface tape, 2 rolls 3/8 reinforcing tape, 1 roll rib stitch cord, 1 roll machine sewing thread, 1 gal poly -tac
    5 gal poly brush, 7 gal poly spray, 5 gal reducer, 5 gal poly tone base color, 2 qt. trim color in poly tone, 1 gal matching acrylic enamel base color, 1 qt enamel trim. With these quantities, you will not have much left over. Cost should be around $2,000.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    You had one burn up? I remember those quantities from my first cover job.

My personal Cub is Ceconite with most surfaces Acrylic Enamel finish. Done in 1976, and it still shines pretty good. A few cracks are starting to show up. Total outside storage is over ten years.

The new Cub is Stitts - Poly Tone. We will never get it polished enough to call it shiny. Every single stress point is cracked. Done in 1990, but not by a really talented fabric guy. Still, it is quite airworthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shipping won't be too bad-no HAZMAT fees so for total shipment, expect to spend about $100-$120.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and that special is for the urethane process.