• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

"Standby" - required readback?

bob turner

One of my friends in the tower informs me that "standby" now requires a response. Usually when the tower and I disagree, they are correct, and my aviation knowledge is stuck in some TCA somewhere - or worse, in a TRSA.

Anybody know for sure that "standby" requires a response? Is it a readback, or just an N-number answer.

Bob,

That is interesting, since it seems to me the reason for "standby" is that the don't have time to give you a response or to deal with you. Usually I get it when calling for a squawk code into a busy area when there are a lot of other yahoos around doing the same thing. They say "standby" and without a breath issue another code & clearance.

I will be interested to read what you find out.

sj

I teach mandatory readbacks every single time you hear "hold short of" or any runway number at any time, or any altitude restriction or combinations of those. With N-number.

Our controllers use "standby" for those folks whom they know are not going to simply taxi on to a runway without a clearance, and as far as I am concerned, if they need a readback, the "hold short of" transmission will get them one, as will the word "readback".

The serious problem is the readbacks being taught to foreign students - they read back every single word, including the coordinates and types of traffic callouts (instead of "looking" or "Contact"). They certainly speak better English than I do Pakistani, and I applaud their scholarship, but I teach native English speakers to minimize readbacks, so somebody else can get a word in edgewise.

This forum is a great place for information transfer - possibly the best in aviation, in my opinion. There are other sources - I have checked the Controller's Handbook and the corresponding ICAO document, and so far find no requirement for reading back "standby". ICAO says the receipt of a "standby" means "wait and I will call you".

Hey all,

Different ATC facilities have their own ways of doing things but to readback "Standby" is idiotic. It reminds me of a training manual that has "Page Intentionally Left Blank" written in bold letters in the middle of the page. The page is no longer blank is it?!?

There are few hard and fast "mandatory" readback requirements. But, one of those is any time a controller REQUIRES you to read back a clearance or instruction. And, this can be a facility specific deal.

If a controller (whether on his/her own or because the boss requires them to) requires you to read back ANYthing, it becomes a mandatory readback.

Too much CYA creeping into all this, and I'm with Bob on what we should be teaching, and practicing.

As if the airwaves aren't cluttered enough....

MTV

"Standby" is ATC speak for "stand by, I'm busy doing something else". They may be on the land line or dealing with another frequency or brewing a cuppa.

No readback is necessary...your silence is confirmation that you have complied.

Back