• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Consensus 3" Extended Gear

I prefer Airframes gear to what came in my kit. Super duty steps both sides, long step on the right, fueling step on the left, sent to Advanced for custom color powder coat to match what Advanced had already done for me. What's not to like?

Attachments

• IMG_3080.JPG
    IMG_3080.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 179
I have Airframes 3" landing gear - excellent product and great people to work with - very happy!

I am looking at purchasing a 3" extended gear and 31's this winter and looking at more recent reviews of the AK Airframes 3" extended. Thanks

Looks sharp. It will be a 1.25 axle with 3" gear. As far as steps all I am looking at the long step only on the right side and the fueling step on the left. Keep the step recommendations coming. Do you like the middle step "superduty" on both sides for strength? What step do you use more on the right the middle step or the long step up higher? Thanks

Stop by Reeve Air Motive. They have Airframes gear in stock in plain sight for you to look at. Stoddard's probably has some Atlee gear, too. You can't go wrong with either one.

Airframes is nice gear. I like 1 1/2" axles (dont run bushwheels) because if you're away from home and blow a tire there's almost always a friendly Cessna owner who will loan you a tire and wheel so you can get home.

3" extended airframes Alaska. I like the long step on the right but I don't like the little step on the left. I wish it was more substantial.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 452
Step usage depends on pilot/passenger weight, age, leg length, and just what you like to do. If you put that sandpaper stuff on the front leg it works fine as a step when going out to the front. On the left gear I would not go any bigger than a fuel step unless you have a door on that side, just more weight. Go check out a few long steps and have airframes weld in the bolt attachments so you don't have to mess with clamps. If you are out at Birchwood you can check mine out if you like.
DENNY

EDIT: Sandpaper stuff is on rear leg.

Last edited:
Cubcrafters has a billet axle, I can take some pics of that, and the steps are usually welded on the front of both legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the best attachment of the brake lines to the gear legs? I have heard that one of the vendors has a better setup for attaching the brake lines to the gear legs?

Several posts back Aviator showed a stock gear at 24 1/2" from center of the axle to front bolt center, so is your's 27 1/2"? (Gear legs I mean big guy)

Im looking for weights on long steps and installing the axe as the left long step and an airframes longstep on right. I believe from the javron build thread the long step weight was reported at 21.1 oz's. Does anyone have a weight on the airframes long step by chance?

Atlee Dodge is 2 lbs 10 oz as delivered without hardware and if you drill it is 1 lbs. lighter.
20190924_191515.jpg

Attachments

• 20190924_191515.jpg
    20190924_191515.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,609
Took the CC 3x3 gear and replaced it with Tony's 6/3 gear. Cannot begin to express how much I like it! The added AOA, clearance etc. weight penalty we figure is about 6lbs. I love it.
4d2c328e5ddcf0032086cc0cdc14aa10.jpg
49cd92693f922aaaa9d2d736159aff73.jpg
5723ddb327740e06c9ed33c861321dd0.jpg
770e13cb6b6233acd15157ebfacd9dd0.jpg
b6134f5ffe75b13bcb1ba27a269aabce.jpg
38bb4cb8a4b1965f38abfd7afac7f309.jpg

Last two pics you can see my 6/3 and Corys 3/3 for comparison

AKT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been looking at replacing original gear on an 18. I’ve talked to a couple of guys who work their cubs and all three in three different conversations said they felt the sweet spot was standard gear and 35’s or 3 inch and 31’s. Lots of differing opinions I’m sure. I’ve run standard and 3 inch with 31’s both worked. No problems on skis either. But I’m not making a living with it either. To many darn choices!

3" extended Atlee Dodge gear and AOSS shock system. No, the Super Cub I finished about a month ago. This is it, mine is the one in the background of this picture.
View attachment 46139

Thanks Steve. Is it STC’d for the Super Cub?

A little back story here - Starting the rebuild of a PA-18-150. We have the fuselage back from Dakota Cub after some repairs and modifications. All the landing gear components are worn out and the hydosorbs are bent at the screw end, so we are looking at different options.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Yes, all STC'd. My choice when it comes to extended gear and suspension on a certified aircraft. I have stock gear if you want a set and some hydrosorbs loaded with bungees with about 65 hrs since new.

Cabane question: 3x3 gear changes the geometry of the gear. By pushing the axle forward 3”, instead of swinging straight away from the the forward gear leg pivot point it swings at an angle. The movement is somewhat significant at about 3” through roughly 12” of gear travel. What, if anything, are folks doing to alleviate stress on the upper cabane bolts as the “V” moves fore and aft? I’ve been told, but have not researched myself, that CC puts a nylon bushing in that bolt hole, allowing for some flex. I’m considering a Heim bearing. I know that’s been done before on another type aircraft. I would appreciate any input you might be able to provide.

Thanks.

I've recently finished my CC EX-2 and it has the 3X3 gear. If you are building a EX-2 and choose the 3X3 gear, the "V" is also upgraded to work with the extended gear. The "V" bolts directly without any nylon bushings and when installed has a slight forward angle to accommodate the extended gear.

Cheers,
Dan

Hello, are anyone having problem with a forward CG installing the longer (more forward) landing gear, with heavy bushwheels positioned more forwardly? Is this a non issue?!
Trying to get my weight and balance within limits.
/Joe

Back