Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cubs are easy to slow down...... from going slow

Post Thanks / Like

Cubs are easy to slow down...... from going slow

Descent & landing -- you are in the cockpit!

Very interesting video, with full technical explanation by the British Airways captain, of how to slow a Concorde from Mach 2, begin descent (they turn OFF the auto throttles because monitoring the engine instruments is critical during throttle reduction, and do it manually), slowing and descending and finally, the traffic pattern at JFK.

Interesting to me was how LATE in the process they finally get around to lowering the 'visor' as he calls it (the entire nose of the Concorde drops to allow visibility thru the forward windscreen downward to see the runway). They don't lower it until the same time they lower the landing gear!

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/hokeyPokey/3812/

Post Thanks / Like
    what I guess i dont understand is they said they went thru mach 1 and it showed on a mach meter they showed us but they were maintaining 350 knots at the same time hmmmmm i thought mach 1 was 757 mph so I looked it up as 761.2 mph or 661.5 knots so hows that work if they maintained 350 knots??

Post Thanks / Like
    The 350 is IAS, the speeds you listed are essentially TAS.

I am sure somebody here is a heavy/military driver can explain it better.
    Trace

Post Thanks / Like
    well ok but were they not slowing the aircraft down as seen on the mach meter while the airspeed stayed at 350 knots? isnt the machmeter another airspeed? heck I dont know

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jay heil
    well ok but were they not slowing the aircraft down as seen on the mach meter while the airspeed stayed at 350 knots? isnt the machmeter another airspeed? heck I dont know
    They were descending. Holding constant Mach, you will see increasing IAS. Holding constant IAS, the Mach # decreases. Going from thinner (less dense) air to thicker air. It's magic.

Post Thanks / Like
    what would be the indicated airspeed at Mach 1, FL400, -20 Deg C. ???? I I know,, look at my E6B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it 268 kts IAS with the above listed conditions? Its been so long since I used an E6B, I was just wondering if that is correct.
    Trace

Post Thanks / Like
    Today at 38k and 1.0Mach my airspeed was about 325 KCAS (on airspeed indicator), 578 TAS, and approx. 550 GS (~30kts headwind). Not sure what the temp. was at altitude.

At 55k and 1.2 M, I read 240 KCAS (on airspeed indicator, and this is very close to IAS).

bearsnack
    rpbw81...I will trade you an hour in my cub for an hour of what ever you obtained those numbers in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by don d
    what would be the indicated airspeed at Mach 1, FL400, -20 Deg C. ???? I I know,, look at my E6B.
    My WAG would be about 310 kts IAS with a TAS of 570 kts (655 mph) although the temperature, if standard, would be about -57* C static air temperature (SAT).

A temp of -20* C at FL400 would be extremely warm... maybe possible for a little time on top of volcano blowout, etc..... but not probable to exist anywhere. Any increasing variance from ISA (+5* to +10* C or greater) will adversely affect performance, although fuel burn would also decrease so the effect on cruise range is minimal.

For computation, if ISA is -57*C, then ISA +10* = -47*C (warmer).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bearsnack
    rpbw81...I will trade you an hour in my cub for an hour of what ever you obtained those numbers in.
    F-15 or 16. 15 does have a slightly higher ceiling though.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special

Post Thanks / Like
    I will say that it is one of our USAF fighters, and although unclassified, I don't want to tie my personal profile to a specific model. Makes it too easy of a starting point for collection on the open web. Though I do love flying supercubs as much as fighters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rpbw81
    I will say that it is one of our USAF fighters, and although unclassified, I don't want to tie my personal profile to a specific model. Makes it too easy of a starting point for collection on the open web. Though I do love flying supercubs as much as fighters.
    We will respect your wishes...so long as you keep posting and tell us tales at NH someday...

Otherwise, I'll be forced to go to the unclassified cabinet from my DARPA work.....
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special

Post Thanks / Like

cubs are easy to slow down

I think you'll have a better chance seeing him at Johnson Creek--not this year, but hopefully in 2010. Having just said that, he may be moved to Langely next year, so who knows...