• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

border crossings

I recently went though the process of trying to get set up to fly to Canada from the US. It was a day long process that was quite frustrating. None of the sites communicated with other sites. I could not find any help available. It is not logically set up. Don't try to use an Apple product because some sites only partially work with them. To get the sticker to put on your plane takes 2-3 weeks after you pay on-line. You can't file until you have the sticker number. ATC , FSS 800 number had no idea how to cancel a booked APIS flight plan, CBP local office said they didn't handle that. The office they referred me to was 400 miles away and only open M-F 8-4. I could not find any national number to call to cancel an outbound flight. Canpas in Canada said they didn't have anything to do it as it was a US thing. Perhaps others have had different experiences.

Well instead of fumbling I should do the research for the US & Canada and post it. I only cross approximately once a year so i have to star over every time. I will do some research.

Yes I was being sarcastic and she's not my senator. She's a carpetbagger in reverse that needed a liberal state to land in. Jim

best way I know is have handy phone numbers for border station on U S side that you are going to use and call them with any problems or changes once you have filed e-aphis. The canpass for canada is easy but also have # with you and call on cell when you cross border they will give you a # that you write down. They are all usually helpful if you try to follow rules and will help if you have problem. Note usually!

After a good 2 hours and help from another brainiac pilot that crosses into Canada alot, I finally hit the enter buttom to purchase a US Customs sticker for my plane. What a crock of shiat the Customs and Border Protection Online Decal and Transponder Online Procurement System-DTOPS is. User friendly not!! Easy steps not!! Maybe I am the dumbasssss?? A really FUKKKED UP design IMO.

After a good 2 hours and help from another brainiac pilot that crosses into Canada alot, I finally hit the enter buttom to purchase a US Customs sticker for my plane. What a crock of shiat the Customs and Border Protection Online Decal and Transponder Online Procurement System-DTOPS is. User friendly not!! Easy steps not!! Maybe I am the dumbasssss?? A really FUKKKED UP design IMO.

I agree. I did it two weeks ago and found it frustrating and poorly arranged. A business with a website like that would have no customers.

I don't live to far from the border and often thought about flying in to Canada. Just to much hassle for me , I wouldn't know where to start. To bad they make it so complicated.

When I was in Iraq, 2008, I met several middle eastern men involved in the war (both sides) that had applied for Canadian citizenship. The Canadian's were letting them into North American. One Iraqi already had a CA passport (I saw him cashing a check). I don't know what their intentions are, hopefully starting over again in a peaceful nation?

NOTE: The above statement is for information pupose ONLY and is intended for safe flight knowledge only. It is not a rant or rave. It's for neutral discussion ONLY.

Last edited:
I don't have an 406 ELT, is this going to be a problem in Canada?

No.. because the requirement to have same still hasn't passed thru legislation up here. Although there is no 121.5 monitoring anymore.. or so we are told.

I've flown into Canada and back and it's not that tough, you just need to follow the checklist! AOPA has a good writeup on this.

Flying into Canada I was all set with just a phone call to get my approval number (or whatever its called) and by the time the line guys had the wheels chocked was good to go. Didn't need to see anyone other than the nice people in the FBO.

Flying back to the US there is a fairly narrow window so I picked the nearest decent size towered airport with customs onsite (KBTV), made all the calls ahead of time, and they were out 2 minutes after I pulled into the customs spot. They asked a bunch of questions, wanted to see all the paperwork AOPA asked for, and scanned the plane for radioactive material then I was done. Probably 5 minutes from shut down if that.

Just do your homework, get organized and it's a non-event.

Rene

Many agencies listen to 121.5 ... Try saying "Hello world" on 121.5. Many will say hello back, if within VHF range.

121.5 is not used for SARSAT ops (officially). BTW 1277 is the SAR squawk in USA when searching under orders (VFR).

Last edited:
Re: border crossings... not sure if this is of interest to any of you but the dreaded "eAPIS" beast just got tamed a bit. There is now an iPhone app called "iAPIS" that allows you to enter your aircraft details, pilot/crew/pax details (including passports etc), and frequent routes of travel. Since these items are retained in the app, you don't need to enter them each time you want to submit an arrival or departure manifest-just simply choose from the list of pre-populated information! Also, since you do all this on your iPhone, you can do it from anywhere as long as you have cell service or WIFI... no PC required!

I have used the app several times now and found it to work very well; submitting a manifest is so simple-only a few seconds and you're done, then just wait for the email confirmation before calling for "permission to land".

The app is free, but they charge $2.50 each time you submit a manifest. For me, this is a small price to pay for a huge convenience. Obviously if you're crossing daily, the price could add up.. in that case there's another app to check out called FlashPass... while similar to iAPIS, this one costs a flat yearly fee ($60 I think)

On a separate note, anyone flying across the border frequently should also check out CANPASS... very convenient.

Feel free to ping me if more information would be helpful.

Kind regards,

Ben

Had a friend get beat up by the border system yesterday. Tried two RNAV approaches in gusty bumpy conditions to minimums and still couldn't see anything. Terrain warning blaring away... After two missed he bugged out for the US side and tried an hour later and this time got in to pick up his passengers (does this same flight frequently for the aircraft's owner and is familiar with and too the system.) But Canadian Customs raked him over the coals anyway despite his following the correct procedures for this scenario. Was quite the unhappy camper after that experience.

Have you tried to get a sticker for your plane from DHS?
Well,I did after they installed a new software
WHAT A CLUSTER TRUCK!!!!!!!
Applied first part of April and recieved another phone yesterday from someone who's english skills were marginal telling me they needed another faxed permission form to correct the numerous mistakes they have made

Perfect example of just how out of control the Obama adm is getting

In the meantime no one knows if I can cross without the sticker while waiting delivery. Have had a stick on the plane for 15 years never seen anything like this

WOW!!!!

Gary

I haven't crossed the border in a while. You used to be able to just buy the sticker from the customs person when you arrived. Maybe things have changed? Why not call the customs office where you intend to land and ask?

Have things changed?

Well, let me tell you they have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You show up at the border and ask to buy the sticker there they take you to the POPO

Not sure if you can just buy the sticker at customs, but believe you can pay the penalty for no sticker which is the same cost. Also, you can print out your receipt from your computer order for the sticker and carry that with you. Proves you paid and that you're just waiting for the mail to come.

Re: border crossings... not sure if this is of interest to any of you but the dreaded "eAPIS" beast just got tamed a bit. There is now an iPhone app called "iAPIS" that allows you to enter your aircraft details, pilot/crew/pax details (including passports etc), and frequent routes of travel......

....The app is free, but they charge $2.50 each time you submit a manifest. For me, this is a small price to pay for a huge convenience. Obviously if you're crossing daily, the price could add up.. in that case there's another app to check out called FlashPass... while similar to iAPIS, this one costs a flat yearly fee ($60 I think)

I have been trying FlashPass for the past few months, unfortunately, due to weather, I have not been able to start the mission on two occasions.

When I enter the site and open my account, I usually get an email from Arturo (the owner/developer) asking if I need any help. On occasion I have received phone calls from Arturo, and found him very helpful. He even provides feedback on how to fill out the form (using the language that Customs likes to see...e.g. crossing the border "12 nm due N of X", vs crossing "N of X") that minimizes headaches when clearing Customs.

Arturo is frequent crosser on the Southern Border, and has a lot of experience with the procedures. I have found the customer service to be outstanding. Also, Arturo is a stand up guy, he refuses to take my money until I have had a chance to complete my mission crossing the border using FlashPass, only then will he accept my payment, even though I offered to pay in advance.

If you're crossing the border, I would suggest you have a look at FlashPass. My 2​¢.

Hey
Just got an e-mail yesterday from the jackasses at DHS notifying me that they have finally processed my app for the sticker for the plane????
Still no sticker though

Out of control gov't at it's best

Back