• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

border crossings

slingdavid

British Columbia
I had been planning to fly my Pacer from B.C. to Utah soon to visit an old army mate. I did at "test flight" to Bellingham a few months ago to get acquainted with the border-transit stuff. Ya, the USA has legitimate, serious security concerns. Security measures are one thing, security theatre is another. The customs/border people were perfectly polite, but clearly were obliged to regard people like me (a fiftyish nurse & teacher, fifty years of B.C. residence, 25-year old pilot's license, with a "proud parent of a soldier" sticker on my rear window) with the same scrutiny they might reasonably have applied to someone with--how to say?--a different security threat profile.

So I drove there today to check, and preclude inadvertent errors (and threatened, vast, fines) on my intended flight down in a week or so and found that the entry requirements will change yet again, to now demand computer filing and registration. OK, I wasn't going to spend millions, but I was going to buy US gas, stay at US hotels, buy US stuff and spend money in US stores to buy gifts for people. To hell with it. I'll stay in B.C. and spend the money here. Too bad for me, too bad for the US merchants I'd have--in some small measure--enriched, and most of all, too bad for yet another increment on the restrictions on personal liberty.

It's so sad. I'd like my country back too.

Gov't Gone Wild.

I did attend a Tea Party on the 15th. Partly on TSA, partly on everything else wrong....

BORDER CROSSING

I have made a few trips cross border in the last two years. all have gone with out any problems.

I did check with the us customs and made sure i was in compliance. I also had advice from pilots that fly across several time a month.

comming home i checked with Canpass. I did not go to jail so i guess i did it right but it is continualy changing and you never have it all figured out.

You know having to comply with the new regs is one thing, jump thru some more hoops ..... computer thing just ISNT RIGHT, should be able to use phone !!!

BUT ...... the reason we have to REALLY does suck

" The terrorists are winning !"

again you are right......

My husband would probably feel the same way because he flies to Alaska each spring...and does not keyboard! So I did all of the registering before he left in April and did the minimal updating as he needed it. I was concerned that I would have to be really accurate about the times of crossing, but we found out that they were very lenient about that. In fact, I found the whole process quite easy, with e-mail feedback immediately after I filed. Eddie had no problems. Therefore, I suggest that any of you who feel the computer registration is a problem, just find someone who is comfortable and register days/months ahead of travel. Then that person just needs to go in and modify the time section as you near travel time.
Charlotte Doyle

SOMEONE I know was flying film from the trail back to Fairbanks during the Yukon Quest some years ago.... it may have been like the second or third running of it. Seems the landings along the trail might be on frozen rivers or lakes, and would not always involve meeting with the customs folks whilst in Canada. Oh he would go out of his way to meet with them, just seems there was a time when it didn't work out.... So, he just flys back to the big village on the Chena and clear back into the USofA...

The films from the race would be picked up, edited real quick like and a few minuets would be broadcast right after the local news.... Was a real good time, he says...

Flying Ds said:
My husband would probably feel the same way because he flies to Alaska each spring...and does not keyboard! So I did all of the registering before he left in April and did the minimal updating as he needed it. I was concerned that I would have to be really accurate about the times of crossing, but we found out that they were very lenient about that. In fact, I found the whole process quite easy, with e-mail feedback immediately after I filed. Eddie had no problems. Therefore, I suggest that any of you who feel the computer registration is a problem, just find someone who is comfortable and register days/months ahead of travel. Then that person just needs to go in and modify the time section as you near travel time.
Charlotte Doyle

first, not all of us have an understanding spouse when it comes to departing for weeks to the interior :wink:

But

It seems easy, and most customs folks realize that a small plane is subject to many delays- head winds, clouds, wind, showers, lap dances... (did I say that :eek: ).

But, if one official decides to make his group do it BY THE BOOK, we in GA are toast!

I hate the computer stuff... it stinks.

And we don't need your stinkin oil neither. Sorry, could not resist. Actually we could use your oil but we are temporarily occupied by a bunch of idiots and unfortunately cannot seem to get our act together to amend that. Jim

we should sell it all to Asia
And sell based on gold. Then watch the fireworks start.
According to more than a few observers, Gadhafi’s plan to quit selling Libyan oil in U.S. dollars — demanding payment instead in gold-backed “dinars” (a single African currency made from gold) — was the real cause.And it literally had the potential to bring down the dollar and the world monetary system by extension,

They want you to call the border station at your destination and verbally cancel.
If they show up at the field and you don't arrive, they may fine you, especially if the CBP agent drives to Northway to wait for you!
That's what I heard from the CBP agent when asked.
From their website:
"
Certain changes to an already-submitted manifest do not require electronic resubmission. Flight
cancellations, changes in expected time of arrival (ETA)/departure (ETD), or changes in
arrival/departure location may be submitted telephonically, by radio, or through existing
processes and procedures.
"

See page 34 for relevant phone numbers:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/pleasure_boats/private_flyers/private_flyers_guide.ctt/private_flyers_guide.pdf

Last edited:
Don't let the new border regulations drive you out of the sky. Make the EPIS people help you complete the forms over the phone if you're not adept with a computer. Whether it's Homeland Security, CBP, or Canpass, get their phone numbers and call them directly. Ask for help. (AOPA also has a pretty good on-line course, worth looking at in advance of a trip.)
Write down your questions before hand and get the name of the person who answers them. If you have weather or other delays and can't reach the Customs people, call FSS, ATC, Airport Towers, Unicom - whoever. Give them the phone numbers and ask them - politely - to relay a message, a new ETA, etc. They will tell you it's none of their concern but if you persist they often give in and make the call. Eventually the EAPIS / CBP people may realized that not everyone sits in front of a computer all day or has one bolted to the panel of their Piper Cub or the end of their dock. But don't let them keep us from flying. Otherwise they win. Having said that, I must admit carrying an iPad has simplified the communications process and so-far I've managed to go back and forth across the Canadian border without too much difficulty. And carrying a cell phone is pretty much essential even though coverage can be pretty limited in many parts of the country - even in the air.

Don't let the new border regulations drive you out of the sky. Make the EPIS people help you complete the forms over the phone if you're not adept with a computer. Whether it's Homeland Security, CBP, or Canpass, get their phone numbers and call them directly. Ask for help. (AOPA also has a pretty good on-line course, worth looking at in advance of a trip.)
Write down your questions before hand and get the name of the person who answers them. If you have weather or other delays and can't reach the Customs people, call FSS, ATC, Airport Towers, Unicom - whoever. Give them the phone numbers and ask them - politely - to relay a message, a new ETA, etc. They will tell you it's none of their concern but if you persist they often give in and make the call. Eventually the EAPIS / CBP people may realized that not everyone sits in front of a computer all day or has one bolted to the panel of their Piper Cub or the end of their dock. But don't let them keep us from flying. Otherwise they win. Having said that, I must admit carrying an iPad has simplified the communications process and so-far I've managed to go back and forth across the Canadian border without too much difficulty. And carrying a cell phone is pretty much essential even though coverage can be pretty limited in many parts of the country - even in the air.

Rob: Try finding a number to call....

Cruiser-You don't want Alaska oil? That is ok by me. But keep your stupid ass environmental regulations away from us, we don't need any more of your east coast rules... nor your anti gun treaty loving former senator now secretary signs.......

Lets give new york and that whole area back to England!

(sorry, hit a sore spot)

The last time I crossed was 2010 and things may have changed , but I had a eazy time of it on my trip from Ks. to Alaska and return. I filled out the EPIS for the whole trip before leaving Kansas , then call Beaver creek and Scoby Mt. border stations before I left Kansas and told them I was un sure I could make the day let alone the hour on my EPIS. They both told me , "no big deal, just to call them 2 hours or more ahead of time and tell them the date I had filed for.
I made the first crossing at Scoby Mt.on the right date, but that was the only one. I was off by a few days on my return and had no trouble at all .Just called 2 hours head and told them I had filed but was "x" days late .
Before the trip I call AOPA and was told I could not do it this was , but when I called Homeland Security I was told that as long as the border stations oked it was fine with them.
Doug

The last time I crossed was 2010 and things may have changed , but I had a eazy time of it on my trip from Ks. to Alaska and return. I filled out the EPIS for the whole trip before leaving Kansas , then call Beaver creek and Scoby Mt. border stations before I left Kansas and told them I was un sure I could make the day let alone the hour on my EPIS. They both told me , "no big deal, just to call them 2 hours or more ahead of time and tell them the date I had filed for.
I made the first crossing at Scoby Mt.on the right date, but that was the only one. I was off by a few days on my return and had no trouble at all .Just called 2 hours head and told them I had filed but was "x" days late .
Before the trip I call AOPA and was told I could not do it this way , but when I called Homeland Security I was told that as long as the border stations oked it was fine with them.
Doug

At least our B.C. friends speak english, and generally do not kill/rob and rape us when we visit unlike other neighbors to the south which will remain nameless.

At least our B.C. friends speak english, and generally do not kill/rob and rape us when we visit unlike other neighbors to the south which will remain nameless.

Like washington DC?

Brown Bear, if it really is no big deal, why have it at all?

(I am in a bad mood I guess... better go for a ride!)

I have been crossing the Canadian US Border for over 53 years. I feel I'm privileged to have the freedom of crossing into the lower 48 & Alaska by ground, airline, & airplane with very little hassell either way. I realize in the past few years security has tightened which means I must do a little more preparation before traveling either way. I do this because I do not want to jeopardize the wonderful privilege I have experienced.

I believe Cruiser was referring to Alberta oil not Alaska Oil. I took it as he was being sarcastic about the politicians not approving the pipe line. Our protesters seem to have a lot of stroke politically. We should shut down all production. all pipe lines, all ships and all refineries for 30 days then call for protests in New York, California, Washington DC, Ottawa Ont, Vancouver BC & Kitamat and invite all of the protesters. With out fuel how will they get there.

Only problem is, we wouldn't be able to fly our cubs.

Back