• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

-18 part numbers

KJC

FRIEND
Clear Lake, MN
I am trying to find some -18 part numbers for mod on my -12 and was wondering if anyone could help? :D

1.) The tabs that connect the front and rear elevator cable to the front
and rear stick.

2.) The bracket that holds the pulley to the bottom of the torque tube
between the sticks.

Thank in advance
:D

All the drawings are on my web site.

The pulley bracket for bottom of torque tube is 12234.

The fittings for the elevator cable are part of the cable assembly drawing 10870.

I called Univair for the bracket on the bottom of the torque tube bracket. The fittings for the elevator cables are part of the torque tube assembly. I made my own fittings by using 4130 chromoly steel. I can't remember the thickness. That is all the factory used. At the time I did mine, I hadn't thought about using Bugs' website but I have remembered to use it in the past and it is a very good site. Thanks Bugs.

The pulley bracket is uber-easy to make.

The fittings for the cables are not too hard either. The challenge is the grommet that sandwiches the fittings together. I used a combination of a flaring tool, plus a bench top press to get the job done.

182.jpg

Bugs, You do great work. I made mine a little differently for my -12. My dimensions are the same as yours are for the elevator control cables but instead of the grommet sandwiching the fittings together, I used a cable shackle. The cable thimbles on the elevator cables go thru a cable shackle. It will still give the same results just another way to go about doing it. I have noticed that on the -18's, Piper used fittings to connect the front and rear rudder cables together as you have shown below. On the -12's, Piper used cable shackles so I continued on with the cable shackle theory to connect the elevator control cable to the torque tube stubs. I've got some pictures of them. If I have an email address, I can show you how I did them.

All the drawings are on my web site.

The pulley bracket for bottom of torque tube is 12234.

The fittings for the elevator cable are part of the cable assembly drawing 10870.
Bugs66,your web site is great and help me a lot,thank you.One question,is the drawing of L21A same with PA18(SuperCub)?

Bugs66,your web site is great and help me a lot,thank you.One question,is the drawing of L21A same with PA18(SuperCub)?

If you mean a PA-18 with 125/135hp then yes. The PA-18-150hp has some differences firewall forward, like the round air filter, different engine mount dimensions. Also the L-21 has observer windows instead of the D-windows. You can modify for either window, not a big deal. Also many Cubs with 150hp or greater have been modified with "Alaskan mods" on the fuselage that you will find on the Northland drawings (available in the SuperCub.org web store). These have the X-brace, reinforced baggage, additional verticals in the V's, welded seatbelt brackets, etc.

Back