• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

VG's on c-182

I teach in a 1978 182RG that has the Horton STOL kit, cuffed leading edges, fence, and tips. Very impressive slow flight and stall capabilities. She will break in the stall between the T and S of Knots on the airspeed indicator. Probably 35ks.

I have been wondering the same thing. I am a dealer for vg's. I have not put them on a 182 yet. They seem to make a difference especially on the short wing Pipers. Another mod that works well on older Cessna's is Metcoaire Hoerner style wing tips.

I really like them on my T182T. Very solid at slow flight, just like on my PA-18-150.

Have not used them on a 182, but I know of one that has them. I have used VG's on 3 Cessna's, 2 - 180's and a 185. Flew all of them before and after. Honestly, for me, I wouldn't put them on again. We kept trying, just looking for that magic, I guess. Never really noticed improvement like they make on a cub, at least in my opinion. I cannot see where they would be any different on a 182. That $1200 bucks or whatever it is will buy a lot of gas.

Of course, these opinions are worth what you pay for them.

gb

I really like them on my C180K. They make the A/C so much better, its night and day different. I have them with Madras tips, and find a huge advantage in making approaches at minimum speed on turbulent days into short places.

However, as recently discussed on CPA forum, they narrow the range over which you can induce "tailing edge separation" - i.e. work the magic FE Potts described "partial stall technique" for landing over obstacles. The speed range between the air reversing across the wing and the stall break is so narrow, you cant rely on this trick once kit is installed. Watch this clip to see....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyrd-47vtDI&feature=related

My pal has a share in a 182S, and its a different plane for a different job. But very capable! What sort of places do you land out?

Irish

My 79' 182 Q has the Micro VG s and is excellent in slow flight. Need to really slow it down on approaches. Have them on my PA 12/160 on 2000's as well

looking at them as an option to improve performance on a Whip amphib float equiped1998 c-182.

Thanks for the input from everyone.

Back