• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18-180 STC

Pen Yan has it now. Last I understood they will not sell SA36RM only there newer STC SA00035NY. I do have some paperwork for SA36RM if all you need is information.
Jeff

Steve,

A.E.R.O won't release the STC paperwork unless you buy the entire STC kit for $6500.00. I just need the drawings to rebuild my logbooks since my engine was installed twenty years ago. I'd be happy to pay for anybody's copies of the original SA36RM. Thanks!

I really wanted to go this way when I got back from Iowa a couple weeks ago...

But low and behold... When I go to the website for A.E.R.O, the company who's motto is "The in stock company" absolutely everything related to installing an O-360 in a PA-18 appears to be backordered :???: Dynafocal kit, Conical kit, Mac prop, Sen Prop, nearest I can tell I can't even order a 'hose' and have it shipped today. Haven't even began to try and spend money with them and I'm already in a hold... Perhaps it is an omen... I was really torn between having Lycon rebuild the O-320 again, or going up to an O-360 :-?

I am going back where this thread started, I am also looking for any documentation for SA36RM. I have a project plane that had the STC installed back in 1979. I have the 337, but no drawings or install instructions of any kind. So anything that can be sent my way would be great and more then I have now. If anyone is willing to send out copies would be a tremendous help.

Dan M

Sa36rm

Here is the entire STC SA36RM in PDF.

Attachments

• STC SA36RM.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 784
  • STC SA36RM drawings.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Yes, it went from Jensen to Johnson to Penn Yan, then AERO bought it and changed it. Neither Penn Yan or Aero offer any support or lay any claim to this old version of this STC. It is posted to help people with lost logs and airworthiness issues.

I spoke to Penn Yan on the phone and had many emails between them and AERO in October 2015 when I needed to rebuild my logbooks. Penn Yan no longer owns the STC SA36RM which they called the "Tiger Cub" and offer no support whatsoever. The FAA database is not up to date (shocking). AERO bought the Tiger Cub STC from Penn Yan and changed it. It now has a different STC number and is no longer SA36RM. AERO also offer no support whatsoever for previous owners of SA36RM.

I spoke to Penn Yan on the phone and had many emails between them and AERO in October 2015 when I needed to rebuild my logbooks. Penn Yan no longer owns the STC SA36RM which they called the "Tiger Cub" and offer no support whatsoever. The FAA database is not up to date (shocking). AERO bought the Tiger Cub STC from Penn Yan and changed it. It now has a different STC number and is no longer SA36RM. AERO also offer no support whatsoever for previous owners of SA36RM.

When I did my conversion in 2011 to the 180 hp it was using Penn Yan Aero STC SA0035NY
If you go by the number; it was issued out of the NY area FSDO. SA36RM was issued out of the Rocky Mountain FSDO in Broomfield Colorado.
Dave Johnson was the first to develop the 180 conversion in Colorado and used it on all of his glider tow planes as he operated the "Black Forest Glider Academy" ( I think that is how he called it) who contracted with the Air Force Academy for introductory training.
As I recall Jensen was a son in law and when Dave retired / went out of business the STC was transferred to him. Jensen also developed a super heavy duty strut fork for the cubs. How Penn Yan got it is unknown, but the STC and kit that I used was far superior to anything Dave was doing back in the late 60s and 70s.
By the way; back in those days the STC paperwork / drawings were not required to be kept with the aircraft records, and many aircraft from those days will reference an STC and have minimal documentation attached. To find the drawings from many early STCs used can be almost impossible. Some records just died with the owners.

A big thanks to Jerseyaviator for posting this.

Interesting tid bit from 'back in the day'. I once installed this STC and used paperwork that was bought probably 15 years or more before the work was done. It was simply a packet of papers (see jersey's PDF). No registration, no raised stamp, no parts. Makes me wonder how many of these were done with a copy machine, lol.

Web

After diving into a "great deal" head first I realized there are much better 0-360 upgrades out there these days. Unfortunately until I want to pony up over $6k I'm stuck with the old SA36RM, and until a bunch of great leeds and suggestions from this site I was up s#it's creek getting my airworthiness certificate with no paperwork to back up the install. Just paying it back by posting it. Hope it helps somebody else..

... Makes me wonder how many of these were done with a copy machine, lol.

Web

back when I started in late 80's MANY were done that way.. it was the FAA's policy that they "were NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF COPYRIGHT PROTECTION" .... that policy changed in? late 90's???

Hello!
I’m working on restoring a Jensen 180 HP cub, and would very much appreciate all the help I can get with the documentation.
i have been trying to find out what props can be used.
You are most welcome to visit our club (ESMH). We got fuel, and VERY cheap accommodation including bicycle rent. My cub will hopefully be finished in the summer, and then we could go flying together, if you got the possibility to visit Sweden.
best regards, Joakim

wNaMI7UegHcQAAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=
kit 7 says sensenich 76 em8 52-56 pitch???

Interesting discussion. Having flown a CC 180 Cub, my opinion is that most Super Cubs would be better off with a good 160 engine, and very little else. The 180 does climb better, but it seems to use more runway.

I think that if you have a valid pre- 1990s 337 specifying the STC you are probably ok- but if you plan on xeroxing the paperwork and declaring the alteration on a new 337, you are no doubt out of luck. Opinion.

By the by, in the last five days I flew 23 hours in two160 Cubs. The highly modified Cub with 6:00 x 6 tires was 15 kts slower than the basically unmodified Cub with 8:50 x 6.

Interesting discussion. Having flown a CC 180 Cub, my opinion is that most Super Cubs would be better off with a good 160 engine, and very little else. The 180 does climb better, but it seems to use more runway.

Spot on, in my never humble opinion. An unfattened SC with a 160, Borer Prop (or Catto if you're like some of the outlaws around here-no names) and VG's is a rockin' machine. I personally like +3" gear, but that's subjective. If it's going to be a working Cub working heavy, especially on floats, then obviously it's a different story. For a fun Cub, keep the EW in the mid-10's and a 160 is PLENTY.

OK. Looking for parts or part number for Pen Yan 180hp with dynafocal mount.

- Airfilter - round, attached to lower cowl inside dia. Approx 3.5"
- Airfilter dome-

Project missing parts. Thx

Back