• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Long lost book with a flying story....

JP

FOUNDER
The Big Woods of Maine
When I was a wee lad growing up in the highlands me Grandmums gave me a book that contained several adventure stories for boys. My guess is it was written in the late 40s or 50s.

One of the stories was about a young man who lived on a farm and wanted to be a pilot. He enters some sort of contest to become a pilot and doesn't hear anything back. One day a guy lands a plane on the farm with mechanical problems. The young man helps him out and it turns out the man was there to deliver a flying scholarship to him....

Another one of the stories was about a canoe trip in the wild where one of the characters brings an outboard motor along. One of the other guys on the trip makes fun of him unitl he hurts his arm and the motor saves them--but not until the guy who hurt his arm also saves the day when the motor fails to start due to water in the gas and he suggests they strain the gas through chamois.....

Unfortunately, the book went missing when I was still quite small and I cannot remember the title. Does anyone out there in flying land remember those stories and the book?

:eek: Honestly Steve and Kirby I'd never come back incognito as ------------ :eek: jrussell 8)

jrussell said:
.....Another one of the stories was about a canoe trip in the wild where one of the characters brings an outboard motor along. One of the other guys on the trip makes fun of him unitl he hurts his arm and the motor saves them--but not until the guy who hurt his arm also saves the day when the motor fails to start due to water in the gas and he suggests they strain the gas through chamois.....

I musta read the same book-- I remember the gas-thru-the-chamois trick to get the outboard running, but I don't remember the flying story. And I sure don't recall the name of the book.
I do remember reading a series of books about The Three Investigators, a trio of juvenile sleuths that solved mysteries while riding around in a chaufferred limo that was the prize in a contest.
Do they still put out this sort of wholesome, entertaining books for kids? Or is everything "kill-the-zombies" video games these days?

Eric

hotrod150 said:
I do remember reading a series of books about The Three Investigators, a trio of juvenile sleuths that solved mysteries while riding around in a chaufferred limo that was the prize in a contest.

Eric

Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators. Led by Jupiter Jones with the headquarters in the junk yard?

John Scott

hotrod150 said:
Yup.
Forgot about the secret HQ in the junkyard. Not a bad idea ........

I read every one of those books. Terrific stories and great plots--who can forget the flaming footprints?!?

That and the Bertrand Brinley "Mad Scientist" books:

http://www.madscientistsclub.com/books.html

Which explains a lot about my childhood.... :D

When I was about 8 or 10, my dad gave me a couple of his childhood books to read, 'The Aeroplane Boys' by John Luther Langworthy. There were 5 of these books, published between about 1912 to 1915 or thereabouts, and I remember the ones I read as being quite good (I think I read 3 of them, but it has been over half a century since I did so, so I'm no longer sure about the number). I think the series was also called 'The Bird Boys'. Anyway, they were well worth the reading, though what I remember of the aerodynamics descriptions sounds a bit odd by today's standards.
JimC

Update
I just googled Langworthy, and 3 of the books are available free on-line, as pdf's.
JimC

Clyde bought me a book over twenty years ago about J-3 Cubs on an adventure from the Cubs perspective I can not remember the name of it and of course I lost it when the log cabin was struck by lightning. Does anybody know the name of the book so I can get it for my great-nephew? Would appreciate the information if any body remembers. Thanks, Susie

I recall the story about the young man and the airplane repair but not all the details. I would have read that about 1952.

Do they still put out this sort of wholesome, entertaining books for overage-kids? Or is everything "kill-the-Texicans" video games these days?

Eric

I think the above refers to: "Adventures in Adult Babysitting- Kirby's penance helping Uncle Eaton".:pty:

Back