Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Compression Strut Threaded Insert Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Compression Strut Threaded Insert Repair

What is the preferred method for repairing compression members with stripped inserts. I am building the wings for my project and a few of the old cast style piper inserts are stripped.

In this thread one person talks about helicoils. AC 43.13 doesnt seem to address the question (that I can find).

http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewt...ghlight=insert

I guess the other alternative would be to drill out the rivets holding the inserts and replace with new.

Any insight appreciated. Thanks.

Brad

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad,

Call Dakota Cub, they have inserts that have a longer threaded area than the original. 1-605-757-6628.

Vickie

Post Thanks / Like
    Helicoil is stronger than the pot metal casting. The originals strip really easily. You can also drill larger and insert a bolt with loctite, drilled and tapped for the proper bolt size. I forget; is it 5/16-24? If you find Helicoils for sale let me know who sells them. For the fine thread you need need need an insertion tool. Good idea to simply replace them all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heli-coiled a bunch of them. Local parts store has heli-coils.

Vicki, Do you see a problem heli-coiling? I replaced the insert once. Not much fun with the big rivets. Didn't care for Crash's idea of using a plumbers torch to soften the rivet prior to driving.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce

Vicki, Do you see a problem heli-coiling? I replaced the insert once. Not much fun with the big rivets. Didn't care for Crash's idea of using a plumbers torch to soften the rivet prior to driving.
    Steve-

I have a few parts that I have designed heli-coils into them. A heli-coil actually makes the threads stronger. Its also makes it so you can remove and replace fasteners in aluminum multiple times.

If you guys do buy buy heli-coils, make sure you get the real kit made by "helicoil" the ones made in china often fail half way into installing them and it is a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by tamarack
    Brad,

Call Dakota Cub, they have inserts that have a longer threaded area than the original. 1-605-757-6628.

Vickie
    Vicki-

I think you are mistaken, the threads really can't be any longer by the way the part is designed. If memory serves me right the originals were made of 3003 (pretty soft) and the new ones that dakota makes are 6061.

Here is the kit I used on mine, I have a 10% off coupon at home if anybody wants the code.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMPXNO=1640822

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I just added that to my tools "favorites". I use genuine Helicoils in the compression struts, but could only find the Chinese rip-offs for the 8-32 hubcap threads. I broke three out of four, even with the Chinese insertion tool. My buddy Len has the Helicoil kit, and I do almost 98% perfect on the small ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by behindpropellers

Vicki-

I think you are mistaken, the threads really can't be any longer by the way the part is designed. If memory serves me right the originals were made of 3003 (pretty soft) and the new ones that dakota makes are 6061.

Tim
    actually the "threaded" portion is MUCH longer on dakota's... as some of the original cast ones only had 1/8" of threaded area.......

probably weight double also.....theres another ounce!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair
    Quote Originally Posted by behindpropellers

Vicki-

Tim
    actually the "threaded" portion is MUCH longer on dakota's... as some of the original cast ones only had 1/8" of threaded area.......

probably weight double also.....theres another ounce!!
    Mike-

I will post a picture tommorow....

I just looked at the northland drawings and they are different than my compression tube plugs.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't you bolt the inserts in, instead of riveting them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indabush

Couldn't you bolt the inserts in, instead of riveting them?
    yes, thats the only way I have seen them replaced.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a torque value for the compression strut bolt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably not. Once your torque wrench starts to register, the threads are gone. That's probably why they had those crazy locking pieces.

Even if the stock threads are good, if I have to pull the strut, it gets Helicoils.