• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 172 float kit install

Yea thats what i was figuring, dad saw a 172 on anfibs today and got bit by that bug... im tryin to tell him its cheaper to get a cub on floats

Tom

Have a look in my photo gallery, I posted some pictures and comments of what is required. The parts are expensive ($6000 in 2004), labor is 100 hours if you are good, 150 if you are a virgin. It all depends on what you are starting from. I looked for a few years before finding a suitable plane, wanted 50G tanks, 180hp, floatplane kit and Baumann 2550A's. Odds of finding all 4 are extremely low. So when a 1980 50G plane with a brand new 180hp (30TT) came up, I jumped in. Then add in new avionics and paint.....

But its a lot of fun and cheap to insure and fly. I think the insurance company still looks at it as a C172 instead of a 185?

Send me a pm, and I can share lots more info and pictures.

Don

I was thinking of doing the same thing a few years ago and you would be MUCH farther ahead finding one already done. I believe it was around the $10K figure to have done. I was thinkling about it since I had found a set of floats with rigging for a very good price.
WW

On a 182 it costs $16,500 installed, which includes a heavy duty motor mount to take the extra pounding vibration, etc of higher HP or big propped seaplanes. Don't know that anyone offers a conversion kit for the 172 so it would have to be done with pieces.

Well i called baumann floats and they said about 7000 for the parts, and 100 hrs in labor, so 13,000 plus 1,200 in touch up paint, and 4,200 for a new seaplane prop, so the total price is inching its way to almost 70,000.

Hmm a second plane is lookin better and better

Yep, That the route I went also....just ask superchamp!! :)

WW

I have copies of the factory prints for 172/175 float kit.The parts book has a breakdown of the seaplane parts.I have a 175 that I got dis-assembled.Figured I might as well put the float parts in as I put it back together.Not all that much work when it is apart.

Bill

There is a very straight 172 with a float kit here in town. According to the owner, it was ordered that way from the factory by Kenmore Air. It is an early one, still has manual flaps but has the back window and sloped tail. '64, '65, something like that. Has an O300 that needs an overhaul. It would be the perfect candidate for a 180 conversion. It needs a paint job, too. I just helped the guy pull the wings off of it not a week ago. He is a very good A&P mechanic who has gotten very disenfranchised with the FAA and aviation in general. He is going to store it in his shop. I have no doubt he would part with it if someone is interested. He just left here to go back to WA for a bit but I can get his number.

This is by no means meant to be a classified ad, by the way. FWIW.

gb

The 180 hp conversion is not cheap either. There are a lot more 180hp conversions out there, and the current owner is probably not going to get all his money back on the conversion. Maybe $15 k on that $30-40k conversion? Leaves lots of money on the table for the float conversion? Just make a decision early whether you are going fixed or variable pitch, that lightweight MT propeller sure looks interesting. Don

2550 gross / 727 lbs payload with a well equipped panel, Baumann amphibs, 180 hp engine. About 100 lbs more if you go for straight floats, 150 lbs less without the 180hp.

The factory installation had EDO 2000 floats (underfloated?) and the gross weight actually goes down from 2300 to 2220 lbs. I guess thats why it was never very popular. Don

Actually, the 172 is also approved on EDO 2130's, and that makes it a WONDERFUL floatplane! Full GW and great performance, and as Eric Johanson pointed out recently on this forum, Kenmore still has a few sets of 2130's at the bargain price of $15,000. You wont' touch any set of new floats for that price.

MTV

We had access to a 172 on 2130's and a 160hp. it was a great 2 place plane, thats about it. with 3 people, we couldnt get it on the step, on a nice hot maine summer day :oops:

Plus, for where we are we would like to have anfibs, seeing how the only seaplane base with fuel around is 100 miles or so.

Tom

Man, I've flown a 172 with 2130s with three up (not real large folks, but "normal" size anyway) and no problem. That was in Washington, and it wasn't real hot, but that airplane performed very well. We put it up against a late model 180 with two in each airplane, and the 172 would beat the 180 out of the water most tries.

But, if you need amphibious floats for a 172, EDO is not in the realm of possibilities.

MTV

Yea, for around where we are, anfibs are needed. and at the cost of puttin our 172 on floats we could get a cub on floats and leave it at our camp in ME

Thanks
Tom

Somewhat on topic, but different model Cessna, but who installs a float kit for the 180 or sells the parts/STC?

Josh - same story as the 172. No "kit" for the 180, you have to buy all the separate parts. Again, probably cost prohibitive, compared to finding one with the float kit on it already.

Josh,

It is feasable to install a float kit on the very early 180's (53 and 54, maybe). Later airplanes, and I'm not sure of the date of change, but it's in the mid fifties somewhere, forget installing a float kit.

Take a look at a later model 180 with a float kit. It includes skin doublers under much of the forward fuselage, all the way back to the rear float fittings. That part alone is a huge job. The rest isn't that big a deal, but still substantial. There have been folks who installed a float kit on a 180, but you'd never even come close to getting your $$ out of it. Even if you did the work yourself, it's a huge project, so you'd be working for zero $$.

MTV

Tom,

Dont rule out straight floats. We had a 150hp 172 here in CT for years. It was not a float plane and was converted. It wasn't outrageous to do. Big thing though... it wasn't factory corrosion proofed. Keep that in mind if you think about landing in salt.

It was always said to be a 3 place airplane...but it proved to be quite capable!

I would think, with the economy in it's present state, you would be able to get the parts/floats and labor cost effectively.

Isn't there a seaplane base in Methuen? If you are heading north there are lots of options for fuel.

cafi

PS the auto fuel stc is also a must....but with the addition of ethanol...I guess you have to check into all of that. I'm not well versed there.

Looking around at 172s with a float kit, or already on floats. I am needing an inexpensive spam can for some traveling that entails a bunch of remote salt work.

I know it is not a cub, but it will fit the bill, and looking for one in the low end of price scale. High time engines ok if the bird has been flying enough to not have the rusted cam/lifters. Need to get 300 hours out of the engine before changing it...

Anyone out there that might know of one, or have one let me know.

Thanks

George

Cessna 172/175 float kit diagramsm

I have copies of the factory prints for 172/175 float kit.The parts book has a breakdown of the seaplane parts.I have a 175 that I got dis-assembled.Figured I might as well put the float parts in as I put it back together.Not all that much work when it is apart.

Bill
Hi! I happen across this older post. I own a Cessna 175 and a number of years ago started the installation of a float kit. I never acquired floats and stopped the process. Now I am trying to sell the plane and the more info the better. Is there any chance you have those factory diagrams. Your reply will be appreciated. Tony Martin Talkeetna AK

C175

I believe I do.I will check and let you know.
Beautiful day here in AK. I got the float kit started and my notes indicated that I needed ; float eyes, float step, and a dorsal fin. I stopped at that point because of difficulty to find floats( Edo 2440’s Bauman 2550 ). Wipaire makes some that fit and Aerocets might work as experimental. Now, I am trying to sell and It’s not easy to describe a partial kit without a picture of what’s there and what’s needed. I appreciate your responding and looking. How dod your C175 turn out, etc?
Cheers,
Tony
Talkeetna, AK

I believe I know where there are a set of 2440's with Stinson rigging on them. Might have had new bottoms put-on , can't remember, but they are for sale.

The items you list are not a big deal other than the Dorsal. That I would build if you can not find, they are scarce.

Back