• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ski Rigging

kiana kid

Kiana
Anybody know how long or the length of the rigging for a Landis 2000 ski on a PA12 with a 6" Atlee gear also the length on the same gear for a federal 2500 ski. Both sets will have a Atlee spring installed.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW

OR answer this one...

What kinda gizmo would I install on the engine mounts to attach my front ski attach's to? Seems more practical to have the cable & bungee attach there than on the front gear bolt.

Thanks already.

Nimpo,

Call Atlee Dodge and ask for a ski tab that goes on engine mount bolts. Cheap and easy, and much better geometry in my opinion.

Kiana,

Just bolt the skis on, set them at the specified angles, THEN cut your cables to the appropriate length. That's the easiest and best way to get the cables right.

MTV

aktango58 said:
Check your exhaust... I went back to the gear after a quick look!

Yeah, I was thinking about that yesterday when I was lookin'. I figgered that the first bit will be cable, so could keep the bungee out'a the hot smoke.
Got some white nauga-hide covers made for the landing gear bungees, rt. side is already getting marked up just from a couple ground runups.

MikeV said:
Call Atlee

Too easy. :) I was thinking of making a tab out'a some SS flat stock, and about an 8" cable & a clevis. Izzat about what Atlee sells??

I read here that I want a cable coming off the ski as well, to keep the bungee out'a the crusty snow. Then, probably want a doubled bungee, right? I'll haft'a sneak over to the neighbors' hangar & get an idea for my plagiarism.

Nimpo,

You will need TWO separate cables for the front. One is a straight "limit" cable, to prevent the ski from going past the point of no return, so to speak, if it were to go over center on you.

The second cable should at least have a "crust cutter" cable portion from the attach point on the front of the ski up maybe a foot. That is then attached to a bungee, then to another short piece of cable, then the tab. I see no reason you couldn't make your own tab. For the price Atlee sells them for, though....

Personally, I'd dump the bungees and replace with springs. No worries about exhaust or them ever wearing out, going soft, etc, or UV. Springs will still want a crust cutter cable, mostly for attachment ease, and same on top.

MTV

So, you're suggesting that Atlee sells something @ a reasonable $$?
Ahh, yes, springs. Better idea. I'll haft'a call Atlee for them, anyway, right? :)

Kiana Kid, if you have a AC 43.13 there is a ski section telling you how to rig them.

MTV,

From your post it sounds like you are saying that allowing cable to be in direct line of the exhaust, and close, VERY close, will not harm the cable or spring...

I am thinking about the color an exhaust pipe turns from heat, and thinking that the heat will damage the cable over time.

Been wrong more than right, but I question this...

And Nimpo, maybe Mark at thrustline has a special set of lower fittings with a tab below!

Thrustline Ski Attach: For the speed skier! :lol: :lol:

Are you lurking Mark? 8)

aktango58 said:
thinking that the heat will damage the cable over time.)
Perhaps. Over time. SS cable will last longer than rubber bungees tho, don'cha think?
You need a nice vacation w/the wife unit.

aktango58 said:
Thrustline Ski Attach: For the speed skier!
Great idea, but I'm not (yet) ready to talk to Mark 'bout mods. :)
In fact, I'll fly (the rest of) this year w/my bungees, change to springs for next winter.

George,

Cables rigged properly and attached to the engine mount fitting aren't in the direct line of any exhaust I've used. Maybe some of the "new and improved" exhausts....dunno.

Not a problem in my experience. I don't like bungees simply cause they go soft after a while. I prefer springs for consistency. Even if there is some exhaust stream near a cable or spring, I think it would take a LONG time to do any real damage, and most of that would be corrosion, which you can see and clean up.

MTV

Ski rigging

Indabush said:
Kiana Kid, if you have a AC 43.13 there is a ski section telling you how to rig them.
Couldn't find anything in AC 43.13. Can you quote a page reference?

Back