• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Where would you go if you had a week off?

aggieflyboy09

Aggieland, TX USA
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to think of a good flying trip to take in my 12 and I need some ideas. So if you had 8 days to yourself and a Cub where would you go/do? I'm thinking southwest area right now; maybe fly somewhere and backpack for a little bit before moving on.

I'm all ears!

week off

aggie fly boy

just left monument valley. 40 -50 degrees . sunshine. no people.
hiked to bridges. at natural bridges monument today. just beautiful.
doing this by car though.

good luck kpredator

pm me if you like.

If you're going this time of year I'd look seriously at the Four Corners area, southern Utah, and most anywhere in New Mexico. Lots of beautiful country out that way. Look up Wayne Jeffries in Durango (he really knows his mountain flying) and Ruidoso Ron in Ruidoso (he really knows his . . . instruments).

Death Valley! Temps in the 60s and 70s. Two airports, at Furnace Creek and Stovepipe Wells. Plenty of places to hike to and things to see such as Scotty's Castle. Great place to stay and dine at Furnace Creek, the Inn ($$) and the Ranch.
Darrel

SteveE said:
Looks like Southern Louisiana would be a great pick.. Fishin looks great.

My thoughts exactly. I would love to hook up with Evan and make the trip to Redfish point and land on that Island. The pictures were awesome.

Larry

One week trip

Aggie,

I have done multiple long distance cub trips in every direction from Fort Worth. I highly recommend heading to the Big Bend country. There are some fly-in resorts, or you can head to Alpine, rent a car and drive to the park. The flying gets interesting around Sonora. I flew from canyon to canyon, just popping up over the walls when a canyon played out, and then diving into the next. There some great places to stay in Alpine and Marathon.

The problem with the four corners is that you have to cross some very barren and uninteresting country in West Texas to get there (no offense to my West Texas brothers).

Have you considered going north to eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas? Beautiful country with great backpacking that is close to home.

Ed

I agree with Darrel. Death Valley is nice this time of the year. Unfortunately, we haven't had a lot of rain so the flowers aren't out. The Inn at Furnace Creek is an oasis. If you like the desert, you can do a lot of exploring there but don't do any off airport landings out there. It is illegal since it is a national park. Another nice place to be this time of the year is Palm Springs.

Back