Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for OLD crash site in Idaho

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for OLD crash site in Idaho

I'm looking for an old crash site at a back country strip in Idaho. My dad use to go fishing up there somewhere, I don't remember where.....took a jet boat up to where he'd fish. There was a dirt strip and a fishing lodge/hunting lodge there......I believe a PA-11 was based there, but not sure. Anyway, I remember him saying an airplane carrying a relative or relatives of the Kennedy family had been killed in an airplane crash there, I believe this would have been in the 60's. If I remember right it was in a 205 or 206 and the pilot tried to go around on a one way strip. I'm going by memory here, so don't remember if I have any of the info right or not........does this ring a bell with anyone? Do you know the location? Thanks
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it was an Oldsmobile in Chappaquiddick....

John Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Kennedy air crash

I remember that Ted Kennedy was involved in an air crash...
    wikpedia is the source....Looks like it happened back east.
    Aero Commanders and Oldsmobiles are a hazard

That was after 7 p.m. Only one hour later, on a sultry Washington evening, Teddy, 32, his aide Edward Moss, 41, Bayh, 36, and his wife Marvella, 31, climbed aboard a twin-engine Aero Commander at National Airport. The chartered plane, frequently used by Senator Kennedy, was piloted by Edwin T. Zimny, 48.

The Apple Orchard. When they took off from Washington, the skies were clear. But warnings of heavy weather to the north had already been posted. Their destination was Barnes Municipal Airport, Westfield, Mass., about seven miles west of Springfield. There, fog and drizzle had socked in the runways.

Approaching Barnes, the pilot was flying on instruments. At about 11 p.m., he told the tower that he was "over the 'Z' "—exactly on course. Looking out of the plane's windows, the passengers could see a few fog-blurred car lights, knew they were nearly on the ground.

Suddenly the plane soared into a steep, desperate climb, shook violently, plunged and crashed. There was a moment of deep, terrifying silence: everyone aboard was stunned or dying. Birch Bayh recovered before the others. "My first thought," he said later, "was that the plane had been hit by lightning." He looked cautiously about. "I saw black things outside my window," he recalled. In his shock, it took him a while to notice the black things were trees, that the Aero Commander had crashed—as it turned out, in an apple orchard on a hill three miles short of the airport.

Fearful that the wreckage would burst into flames, Bayh hurriedly boosted his wife through an escape hatch, which popped open on impact. Then he called for Teddy, who was crumpled on the floor. Bayh got no answer and climbed out the hatch himself. Again, he yelled to Teddy. This time Kennedy answered, managed to reach his hand through the hatch, and Bayh helped him wriggle through the window. Moss and Pilot Zimny—both horribly injured—were trapped in the cockpit, which had been sliced apart as if by a huge can opener.

On the Wet Grass. Teddy lay helplessly on the wet grass, beneath Mrs. Bayh's raincoat. The Bayhs staggered down the hill to a road, stopped a car driven by Robert Schauer, who had been attracted by the sound of the crash. He took them to his home, called the police, returned immediately with a pillow and blankets for Teddy. Said Schauer: "When I got to the plane, Senator Kennedy was still there. He was cool as a cucumber. He said he had shoulder and back injuries."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mackey Bar is a resort on the main Salmon River with an airstrip that a Twin Otter could land. There were jet boats also.

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, was looking at Google Earth and I see a place named Shepp Ranch and it has a dirt strip............that name sounds familiar too. Anyone remember a crash there in the 60's. Anyone been into that strip? Thanks in advance for any info.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Look around on checksix.com ... this website, and a few others, have a lot of info about old plane crash locations all over the U.S.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try a search of NTSB's Aviation Accident Database Query.
    ntsb.gov/ntsb/query.asp

Post Thanks / Like

crash in idaho backcountry

It was Shepp Ranch. They tried to do a go-around, which is pretty much impossible.

Dick

Post Thanks / Like
    has anyone gone through google earth and made a file with points to all the idaho strips? i know lots arent marked by google. (I finally found shepps ranch but it doesnt have the airport wymbol from google)

Post Thanks / Like

Kennedy air crash

I work with a gentleman that guided on the SHepp ranch for several years right out of Vietnam .Great guy and full of stories.Still an incredible hunter and mountain man. Give me a call and i'll share his name. Dale 970-984-2031

Post Thanks / Like

old crash site in idaho

Go to www.sheppranch.com and send an email to Mike and Lyn. They have been there a long time and may have the details on it.

Dick

Post Thanks / Like
    Old Crash Site
    I used to be able to see a few pieces of the wreckage at the norteast end of runway. It's at the Shep Ranch on the Salmon River and Crooked Creek. I've always accessed it from a long hike down Crooked Creek from the old Dixie forest service work camp or over the top and hike down a long grade from the old Jersey Mtn. lookout. Jet boat would be easier if you dont like long hikes. Haven't been to where site was since forest fire burned through that area came in as far as the West Fork and cut off to old mines and shed hunted up that way. I'm not sure if fire took what was left of wreckage if I remember right it was some blue painted pieces. Not near as nice as it was before the fire goodluck hunting.
    Shedhunter

Post Thanks / Like
    A go around at Shepp Ranch would be a very, very bad thing. Hope you are doing well Dick.

We'll be in Grangeville over Christmas.
    Ineptocracy - A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found this picture

Post Thanks / Like