• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Carb Control Cables

C-YQK

Bought some of those cable anchors from Spruce and am planning the best way to locate them

Have a MA4-5 for my 0-360

Anyone have any good pics of how you rigged your control cables and what you used?
Thanks
Gary

Are talking about these?

05-16210.jpg

Gerald

Thanks for the picture trying to get the best mount ideas

Also looking for a pic to see which way to route the starter cable

Anybody have more pics would be great

Thanks

The hose clamp holding the blue bracket to the engine mount bothers me a little. I would be looking for something more substantial. Then, what do I know?

I would be concerned with the possibility of a rough running engine because the throttle is anchored to the engine mount and the engine can move separately because of the shock mounts, thereby changing the throttle setting when the engine shakes. This would give you a fluctuating rpm. The throttle cable should be anchored to the engine not the mount.

Here is a stock 1982 Super Cub throttle linkage. There is a clamp welded to a stand-off which is clamped to the engine mount. I will look in my factory pictures for a better view.
100_1754.JPG

On my factory cub the throttle cable is anchored to the engine mount. With a rather weak factory part. (see Steve's pict, mine was similar) Never noticed it jumping around a whole lot.

On the hose clamp, I thought the same thing until I tried it. There is a lot of difference it hose clamps, tried a few, Breeze makes the good ones. Of course you can only see one leg of the mount in that picture.

appreciate the pics keep em coming. Looks like i will fab up my own bracket to support the throttle cable. I've got 4to1 exhaust and will have to include heat sheilding

Anyone run a seperate ground cable right up to the starter? Want to increase maximum power to my B/C light weight unit

See if you can include a pic of the batt cable routing no Cubs in my area

Thanks

Gary

I will get a pic today, if I remember... mad cow and all.

FYI: I don't see any tape or chafe material between the mount and the clamps or clamping system :crazyeyes:

Am I the only one that worries about the vibration causing weak spots on the mount?

Put a plastic tie around the mount for 100 hours and it takes the paint off... think about what it wears next :eek:

Talked to Kosola (the folks that overhaul engine mounts) recently. The lady there told me you would not believe what wire ties do to engine mounts.

I want to revive this thread a bit as I'm trying to run and position the carb control cables. Ware issues with metal on metal scare me little as well. It seems the factory didn't have any problems with mounting throttle cables to the engine mount, however the issue is engine vibration in the rubbers vs fixed mount causing throttle creep etc....I have an O360 which would vibrate quite a little more. Has anyone seen or have pics of that Vans bracket Bill Rusk mentioned? Any new insight on this topic or fancy new brackets, ideas, or photos? Thanks!!
J

Spin,
How is the aluminum angle attached to the engine mount? Is it adel clamps or...? Looking like the engine mount in that location is gonna be the way to go I guess.

Thanks,
J

fyi what ever you do, make sure with cable disconnected at throttle arm that it is relaxed in idle and full throttle position or it will immediately creep up off idle if in tension there

the crosswindsstol 180 engine install uses ONE aeroseal? winged thumbscrew hose clamp with a hole in end of wing for each cable, throttle included......STC'd 40+ years.... kinda scary looking..... so when you start over designing things, might look to whats been out there already.....

QS100-M6W.jpg

JayH said:
Spin,
How is the aluminum angle attached to the engine mount? Is it adel clamps or...? Looking like the engine mount in that location is gonna be the way to go I guess.

Thanks,
J

Steel clamps to motor mount tubes.

No problem with flex in cable causing throttle creep. But after the picture was taken I did move the throttle arm attach bolt to the top hole to get full travel.

Thanks Spinner.

Mike, now that sounds interesting, would like to see a photo of that operation.

Does someone make these mixture cable brackets or do guys just weld them together? P/N?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319407867.673409.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1319407867.673409.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 537
Looks a lot like some factory brackets I have. I had to fabricate my own though, when converting to a short mount on my 12. A call to Univair might be worthwhile - -

Univair has them:
12408-000 Clamp Assembly- Throttle Control $97.85
u12408-000.jpg
12407-000 Clamp Assembly- Mixture Control $64.43
u12407-000.jpg
Or you can Jake Leg it with Adel clamps and it will slip all over the place in time.

Attachments

• u12407-000.jpg
    u12407-000.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 179
  • u12408-000.jpg
    u12408-000.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 196
Thanks all...it must be made of gold or platinum.

Steve, I'm good on special surprises. Returns yellow in color aren't accepted.

The Van's bracket goes between the carb and sump and uses an extra carb gasket. They list it to fit 0320 ande 0360's would it also fit a 0235? Are the carb/sump
bolt patterns the same for 0235 and 0320 carbs?

Thanks
JM

The bracket from Vans will not fit an O 235. The bottom of the O 235 oil sump that the bracket sits against is different than an O 320, there are also a few other subtle differences. The brackets from Vans only work if there is substantial room between the fire wall and the engine. I have an O 235 on my plane and had to fabricate brackets like those above in this thread. Took forever to get them right.

Vans Bracket 1.JPGVans Bracket 2.JPG This is what the Van's Bracket looks like. The attached photos are showing the top surface that fits up against the sump & the carb fits on the underside (gaskests on both sides). This bracket fits a 360 - I don't know about the 235

Attachments

• Vans Bracket 1.JPG
    Vans Bracket 1.JPG
    508.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Vans Bracket 2.JPG
    Vans Bracket 2.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 157
Back