Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PA22-135 Wings on a PA18 help requested

Post Thanks / Like

PA22-135 Wings on a PA18 help requested

Hello

Does anyone have information of any STCs to fit PA22 -135 wings on a PA18-95 (or other model) Super Cub.

Has this been done before on a certified aeroplane , or Experimental category?

This will be going on the British G register if possible.

Thanks
    North East Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant imagine there is an STC for this particular modification. The cable routing the on the PA 22 wings is quite a bit different than the routing on the PA 18. Likewise, the strut attach fitting on the PA 22 is something like 31 or 32 degrees whereas that same fitting on the PA 18 is in the neighborhood of 21 degrees.

Now, if you wanted to do an experimental then this would be possible. Build up an experimental PA 18 fuselage to work with the PA 22 wings. You would probably need custom struts or struts from a clipped wing J3 to make it work. I think a number of experimental Wag Aero Cuby's (sport trainers) are flying around with PA 22 wings.

I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Clipped Wing

Thanks

Are there any STC for clipped wing Super Cubs?

Post Thanks / Like
    I should note that the PA 18 top deck and the J-3 top decks are quite different. There is an STC for a clipped wing J-3 (Reed). I have not heard of the same thing for a clipped wing super cub although someone who knows more than me may be able to chime in with more info as someone might have done it before.
    If you don't need the weight carrying capacity a previously modified J-3 might fit your bill very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PA22-135 Wings on a PA18 help requested

Quote Originally Posted by North East Cub
    Hello

Does anyone have information of any STCs to fit PA22 -135 wings on a PA18-95 (or other model) Super Cub.

Has this been done before on a certified aeroplane , or Experimental category?

This will be going on the British G register if possible.

Thanks
    North East Cub
    WHY?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are an EAA member you can browse old issues of Sport Aviation. In the july '95 issue there is a feature on just what you are asking, piper short wings adapted to a homebuilt cub fuselage. Many of those parts from those short wings can be used to build a set of experimental long wings.

Kevin