• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Phoenix for the Holidays

Tadpole

Franklin, IN
I'm headed down to Phoenix on the 20th to visit with family and to run the jump into the pregame of the Insight Bowl, so only a few days of work. Then I get to drive back home on the 2nd.

I'll be staying right in between DVT and SDL....I think I'm a touch closer to DVT.

If anyone wants to meet up for a breakfast or something, let me know.

Does anyone know of any Cubs or Super Cubs for rent in the Phoenix area? I am also going to be out there from the 24th thru the 28th and was thinking of doing some exploring on the 27th.

Tadpole, you are welcome to join me if we can find some wings.

As a backup plan, I was considering doing some glider training at the Estrella Gliderport. http://www.azsoaring.com/index.php?pid=2

Jeff

Jeff, Estrella does a good programme, a little different than the Upper Midwest. Reccomended.

Thanks, eh? cubscout

Thanks for the feedback CS.

I just read the Cajun Joe in the UP thread and realized where the eh! came from. Where in the UP are you. A good friend of mine also married a yooper and lives in Marquette. We get up there quite often.

Here's a shot from July 4th at Hanley field near Munising.

IMG_5465.JPG

Jeff

Phx

Make sure you call and reserve the cubs at Chandler Air Service. The cubs are in big demand during winter. I'd sure like to show you around the area but will be at our Idaho place for the holidays. Fly east of Chandler for some beautiful views of the Superstition Mountains and the valley chain of lakes (Saguaro, Canyon, Apache and Roosevelt). North of this is Payson, head a bit West to the Verde River and fly South down the river back to Chandler. Two hours of big beauty. Fly safe.

They are good folks at CAS. The cubs are not creampuffs but airworthy just the same. They have a couple Hs as well. More than likely you will do a checkout before they turn you loose in anything of course.

Take care, Rob

You,ll need 1 hr of dual with C A S. Plus your log book, Plus you have to stay in a 50 mile radius, That was last year when I checked into rental from them.

Renting probably won't be an option for me. I'm more restricted to paying for breakfast or lunch and stuff to fly. I've got just under 80 hours, no TW endorsement (yet). My budget is too tight to handle getting checked out in a plane down there when I'm not there often enough to make it worth it. The nice paycheck us enlisted folks get can only handle so much flying!

Besides, I hope to start my TW training this week, and I need my free cash for that!

Jrssl, I have family in Madison, know any Murrish's? My uncle is a big time hand made kayak builder

Thanks for the info PW. I already called and have a checkout scheduled for 7:30 am the 27th and then have the Cub for rest of the day. And thanks for the suggested tour route. I spent some time checking it out on Google and it looks like a very scenic route. Maybe we can hook up the next time I'm down. Have a good time in Idaho.

Rob, Thanks for the info on the planes. I suspect they are better that what mine was before beginning the rebuild.

It's great to hear from you Dean. The 1 hour matches what they told me over the phone but they did not mention 50 mi limit. It looks like I would only be stretching it a bit by heading up to Payson. You know how hard it is to know exactly where you are in unfamiliar territory without a GPS.

We need to start planning our next trip to visit Jason. Come hell or high water, I am somehow going to get my Cub back in the air this spring. Progress is slow but steady. I'm leaving for the hanger shortly and plan to be there all day.

Tadpole, the last time I checked there were two seats in SuperCubs. You are welcome to fill the back seat. I have the cost covered. If you can't make the flight, maybe we can organize a SCub.org breakfast somewhere on the 26th. I'll be staying in Scottsdale about three miles west of SDL. I'll PM you my cell number.

Jeff

bmurrish said:
Jrssl, I have family in Madison, know any Murrish's? My uncle is a big time hand made kayak builder

Sorry, but I don't know any Murrish's. I do know that padding is pretty big here in Madison and do some myself. Let me know if you ever get to town and we can poke some holes in the sky in my, hope to be completed soon, SuperCub.

Jeff

jrussl said:
Tadpole, the last time I checked there were two seats in SuperCubs. You are welcome to fill the back seat. I have the cost covered. If you can't make the flight, maybe we can organize a SCub.org breakfast somewhere on the 26th. I'll be staying in Scottsdale about three miles west of SDL. I'll PM you my cell number.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks! And I shot you a PM back.

I'm looking to maybe move to the Phoenix area. Is there a strip in the vicinity that would be good for cubs, etc. without a lot of 'regulations'?

Hi RandyK,

You didn't say whether you were looking for a strip you could move to ie: fly in community, or a strip you could base your plane at but live away. Also "Phoenix" is a pretty jumbo town and living on one end and having an airplane based on the other would not be great.

There are a few places that fit either way!

Take care, Rob

I'm here. Got into town this morning after a 13 hour drive all night. I feel better now after a nap and some dinner and beers.

Here's a question. So the place mentioned above does TW training at $155/hr dual in the PA-18-150s.

I'm supposed to start my TW training when I get back home on the 3rd in a Taylorcraft BC-12-D. Everyone I've talked to says if I can learn to fly TW in that, I'm starting off well.

Do you all think it would benefit me to just go take one lesson or something while I'm down here in the Super Cub? Part of me wants to since that's what I want to eventually fly, but the other part says no, I should just use my cash for the TW up home and after I get the endorsement, then maybe next time I'm down here, do more of a checkout rather than training.

My family and I flew on Allegiant airlines to Mesa Gateway last week and came home yesterday. It was nice to get out of Montana's sub-zero temperatures for a few days. We went to the Suns / Nuggets basketball game Saturday evening. I had some free time and rented Chandler's Super Cub Sunday morning. I got a checkout from John Walkup, the owner. We did some slow flight, stalls, including power-on turning stalls, two 3-point landings and two wheel landings. I found them to be a professional outfit with decent Cubs. John gave me a much more complete checkout in the Cub than I gave myself when I started flying mine. But then maybe I would too if I were renting mine.

They have 6" tires on their Cubs; less likely to ground loop according to John. With a cruise prop and little tires I really, really noticed a difference in glide performance compared to my Cub with a Borer prop and bigger tires and safety cables. At pattern altitude with a closed throttle we'd glide forever, or so it seemed. With my first 3-point I touched tail-first. I guess I'm too used to 3" extended gear and bigger tires.

I'd recommend them for tailwheel training. They have four Super Cubs for training and renting.

I'll post a picture later - still on the camera.

phoenix_08_029.jpg

spinner2 said:
My family and I flew on Allegiant airlines to Mesa Gateway last week and came home yesterday. It was nice to get out of Montana's sub-zero temperatures for a few days. We went to the Suns / Nuggets basketball game Saturday evening. I had some free time and rented Chandler's Super Cub Sunday morning. I got a checkout from John Walkup, the owner. We did some slow flight, stalls, including power-on turning stalls, two 3-point landings and two wheel landings. I found them to be a professional outfit with decent Cubs. John gave me a much more complete checkout in the Cub than I gave myself when I started flying mine. But then maybe I would too if I were renting mine.

They have 6" tires on their Cubs; less likely to ground loop according to John. With a cruise prop and little tires I really, really noticed a difference in glide performance compared to my Cub with a Borer prop and bigger tires. At pattern altitude with a closed throttle we'd glide forever, or so it seemed. With my first 3-point I touched tail-first. I guess I'm too used to 3" extended gear and bigger tires.

I'd recommend them for tailwheel training. They have four Super Cubs for training and renting.

I'll post a picture later - still on the camera.

I come to AZ often enough. I think next time I come down (after I have my endorsement) I'll go over there for a checkout and make it my local renting spot or something.

If anyone is looking at this with a view to flying Chandler Air Service's PA18-150s. I did my tail wheel endorsement with them and have quite a few rental hours from them.

I really enjoyed the flying around Pheonix (amazing and fun scenery in the mountains) and would most definitely recommend them to anyone looking to get started with some thorough and professional training. Some of the Cubs were better than others - all are well used but also well maintained. There are three dirt strips of varying size and smoothness within 15 mins flight of Chandler that they take you to during the training. They will make you prove yourself before they let you go solo.

Also of interest, the local Customs and Border Patrol guys fly PA18-150s and train with Chander. And the school have Great Lakes (open cockpit biplanes) for aerobatics.

Finally be warned - there are dozens of student pilots (many who do not have English as their first language) based out of other airfields (on the other side of Pheonix) - so vigilance is required.

Back