Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wolves Kill Man in Saskatchewan

Post Thanks / Like

Wolves Kill Man in Saskatchewan

I am not the type to read Sports Illustrated (unless its the swimsuit issue), but I happened to notice on the cover of the Novemer 08 issue a story about the future of hunting. In that article they tell of a confirmed wolf kill of a worker at the Points North Landing outpost in Saskatchewan on November 8, 2005. Confirmed by the Canadian government in an official inquest about 2 years later. There is also an incredible photo showing a wolf on that day or a day or two earlier that tried to attack one of the workers at the camp who was a couple hundred yards out from the camp looking around some old plane wreckage. Shows the guy facing down a very angry looking wolf with a big stick in his hand, while he is slowly backing his way up to the buildings. It was taken by another camp worker that had just reached safety. They said that wolf and one other moved in for the kill and they basically held them off with a couple of big sticks. The next day another camp worker went for a walk, and about 600 yards from the buildings was taken down by a pack, killed, and mostly eaten. They followed the footsteps in the snow about an hour after the guy went for the walk and didn't come back, and the tracks told the whole story. Some very gory details. The name of the man killed was Kenton Carnegie. The article also talks of the hush hush on this story by a whole industry that depends on the wolves for tourism, etc. Very interesting article, the first 3 pages and the last 2 pages of it deal with the wolf kill, the pages in between talk of the general decline in hunters. Any one else herd of this? I would buy the mag just to see this picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    that was "Hunting Illustrated", I believe.

S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hairless monkeys with sticks are not really much of a match for a couple of natural-born predators. Unless the sticks are bored .300 WM. Heck, that's no guarantee if the monkey is a bad shot.

So, how many deaths can be attributed to wolves? Probably not that many. Probably not as many as falling in the shower. I like wolves - I think they're cool. I used to hunt them, but now - I like to listen to them, see them now and then and hope they don't eat all the other critters so hairless monkeys can still go hunting.

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm not anti-hunting, so please, no flame wars. Just an observation; I like to know that there are wild places where there are still wolves, bears, moose and all the rest are out there doing their thing.

Okay, go ahead, everyone; commence fire for me sounding like a greenie.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Post Thanks / Like
    .300????

12 guage is better, less error factor in aiming,

I like wolves too. I like to hear them, helps find em to remove them from the evolutionary process.

They still have the advantage...
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    wolves are tough thats a fact. Few years ago I popped one on a sand bar with the .300 WBY during moose season. Knocked him flat out on the ground. My dog took off in the direction I shot not knowing what lay in store for him and so i took off yelling trying to get him to stop, ran right past that wolf on the ground, and a few minutes later returned to the boat and that wolf was GONE!! I tracked him back into the brush a couple hundred yards and lost blood....
    Im with everyone else, Im a wolf lover. Love to see them... hear them...and skin them...
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh tis the season.... For the start of another 6 page wolf thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    The point of the article wasn't pro or anti wolf. I just found it interesting that this incident has largely been buried, and we still here the old saw "there's never been a documented case of a wolf killing a human in North America". And the picture with the guy with a scrubby piece of spruce in his hand keeping the wolf at bay was worth the price of the magazine. I've got plenty of wolves right out my door, last winter they killed a deer less than 200 feet from where I lay sleeping in my bed, but I've never felt like I was the hunted when they were in the neighborhood. Twice we've had older single wolves come hang around that I did not trust, I suspect they had been booted from the pack. The big cats are the one's that give me the willy's, one minute you're sneeking through the woods hunting, and the next you got an 80 pound cat with 3 inch nails sunk in your back. I really wasn't trying to kick the hornets nest here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read the article and it was mainly about the decline in the numbers of hunters.

The best photo was from behind the guy holding a wolf at bay with a stick, only a few feet away.
    I gave the magazine to a relative so I don't have the pictures here any more.

I think the best comment in the article was from the father of the guy that the wolves attacked and ate.
    It was the last sentence and the end of the article.

"Wolves don't make moral judgments, they just hunt."

Bill
    Flat Country Pilot
    Farm Field PVT
    54 C170B

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory
    wolves are tough thats a fact. Few years ago I popped one on a sand bar with the .300 WBY during moose season. Knocked him flat out on the ground. My dog took off in the direction I shot not knowing what lay in store for him and so i took off yelling trying to get him to stop, ran right past that wolf on the ground, and a few minutes later returned to the boat and that wolf was GONE!! I tracked him back into the brush a couple hundred yards and lost blood....
    Im with everyone else, Im a wolf lover. Love to see them... hear them...and skin them...
    Greg
    Greg:

You need to work on your marksmanship.

Wolves aren't that tough!. Had you hit him someplace that mattered, he'd have had a fist-sized exit wound, and been DRT (dead right there). The bullet would have carried big chunks of his shoulder joints and bones out the back side of the critter.

A .300 Weatherby is hardly necessary for a 50-70 pound dog. Let's not attribute supernatural bullet-proof qualities to these canines, please.

A .223, or anything used for medium, thin-skinned critters will dispatch *any* wolf, even the ones in scary stories. Bullets care not about legend.

Oh, wait - you should have had a Winchester "Silvertip" bullet; that would'a killed it for sure!

Jon B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like more than wolves are capable of human attacks.

http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/11001739

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cabinflyer
    Oh tis the season.... For the start of another 6 page wolf thread.
    Sigh!
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur

bearsnack
    I to am a wolf lover.
    Once dropped off some caribou hunters that faced down a small pack over a caribou they had shot the night before. The wolves started to advance on one hunter until the other hunter showed up and the wolves changed their minds.
    I had the same thing happen while setting traps on a moose kill while the pack circled me and howled.
    wonder how many times we walk through the woods while critters ponder the human prey options.
    Suddenly packing in the park isn't such a bad idea.
    Don't let your guard down, if the bears and wolves don't get you, the liberal democrats will.
    As I said, I love wolves, hanging on my wall.

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="bearsnack"]I to am a wolf lover.
    Don't let your guard down, if the bears and wolves don't get you, the liberal democrats will.

I think they did on Nov 5th.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Around here you're more likely to be shot by a fellow hunter than attacked by any creature that actually lives in the woods. Happens every year, some hunter takes aim at something, fires and turns out to be another hairless ape! I can't imagine shooting something I can't identify.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottperry
    Around here you're more likely to be shot by a fellow hunter than attacked by any creature that actually lives in the woods. Happens every year, some hunter takes aim at something, fires and turns out to be another hairless ape! I can't imagine shooting something I can't identify.
    I agree. Last year 4 people were shot on the opening day of deer season. I refuse to hunt on public land anymore. Fortunatly we have hundreds of acres of private land to hunt.

So far from what I've read here most have shot the wolves from several hundred yards away using high calibre rifles, or from the air. Kind of diminishes a claim of imminent threat

Life is full of risks. Think of how many millions of people take to the woods every year.. One confirmed kill under special circumstances. I read the BBC article on the wolf attack. The wolves frequented an illegal garbage dump and had lost their fear of humans. Good thing that is the exception rather than the rule.

I to have a pack of wolves that run right out my back door. A few winters ago before I got indoor plumbing I went to the out house one night and stumbled in the middle of a pack circling a deer. The whole thing was happening within 50 yds. of me. As soon as the wolves smelled me, even though they had the deer cornered in a swamp it was hunt off and the wolves were gone.... FYI I got the #@^% scared out of me!
    I'd think wolves, especially in the wilds of Alaska and Canada want nothing to do with humans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cabinflyer, all but 2 times that I have been in close proximity to wolves, they have turned tail and walked away. The two that didn't were the old ones I referred to in a prior post. Again, I'm not taking a pro or anti wolf stance. Just read the article AND look at the picture in SI, and it makes you think twice about wolves in the middle of nowhere being adverse to approaching humans. The 2 wolves that seemed not to care about me weren't aggressive, they were just indifferent. The one in the picture in SI was definitely not indifferent. Actually, the whole SI article really wasn't about wolves, it was about the lack of hunters and the declining number of people who hunt, and the long-term implications of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looked for this SI article and picture online and can't seem to find it. Please send link.
    I do remember a game warden telling me there are a lot of dog attacks on wild game in Minnesota. As people can't take care of their animals they just take them out to the country and let them fend for themselves. Domesticated dogs will form packs and have no fear of humans. In the late 70's I worked as an EMT in Northern Mn and went to a emergency call from a deer hunter who was mauled by a wild dog in the woods. The hunter said he was surrounded by several dogs one who attacked him for the deer he was dragging. The DNR shot 8 of them later that day. By the time it made the twin cities media it was a pack of savage wolves. Dog bites man.. yawn. Wolfpack attacks man... stop the presses!

With that all being said I would be wary of any animal that doesn't show fear of humans. This is a good indication they are either sick or injured.

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was still in highschool in Hibbing, I'd spend quite a bit of time w/the game warden (I planned to be one, then).

One of the things we'd do in winter when the snow got deep was go into the cedar swamps where the deer herded up & cut high branches, & fall scraggly trees for them to eat. They'd come right out like cattle & eat in close to us. Cool.

Then we'd find dead/starved deer, & he'd break a leg bone open to inspect the marrow. If it was pale pink, it was malnourished, but if it was red, it was killed. Lots of sign of dogs scavenging, so we'd track the dogs back home (never far away) and advise/warn the owner what was happening.

Most would say "I had no idea, I'll keep him close" but some would argue that their Fido wouldn't harm a deer. One day, sitting in the car, I saw him (CO) pull his pistol & shoot a dog right beside the front porch when the owner was standing there giving him the gears. Sign was all over the yard & the owner said it was OK for his dog to run deer.

I was somewhat "surprised" but now find it grinworthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cabinflyer, I tried to find the article online and the photo, but no joy. Even went to the SI.com homepage and nothing. Find the mag and buy it, you won't regret it. Again, the photo is worth the few bucks. The article is really not about wolves. The first page and a half is about the wolf attack, then they go into 2-3 pages of talk about no hunters anymore, then the last page or two they come back to and finish up the wolf attack story. The idiot who was eaten the day after the attack that they have the picture of was warned by the others to pack heat. The guy was an animal lover and said he would never harm an animal, was a vegetarian, etc, reminded me a little of Timothy Tastewell. At any rate the wolves could have cared less that he would not hurt them, ran him down, hamstringed him, and ate most of him. At least that's what the tracks in the snow showed. The CA government flew in shooters/trappers right away and shot or trapped two wolves that had his clothes and flesh in their stomachs. The government had a big investigation and said yup, they ran him down, killed him and ate him. I'm very surprised they wasted the ink to put an article on hunting in their. The rest of the mag is the usual football etc. The magazine cover is blue and has a picture of Jimmie Johnson from NASCAR on it. Edit the above, here's the article, unfortunately can't get the photo http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...8866/index.htm

edit- just found the photo part way down this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenton_...ie_wolf_attack

Click on the photo to make it larger, its not as clear or close up as in the SI magazine, but the same photo. Actually, the Wilkepedia article has a lot detail, I would skip the SI article and just read this. Very interesting. Wolves were health, not starving, no rabies, but they attribute it to them be acclimated to humans, and had lost their fear of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read them all... Thanks!

There's the old saying " don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see". I think the latter best describes the photo. I'm very suspect of the notion this guy with a stick was being stalked by a wolf, and his friend... instead of helping chase the thing away... stands there and takes pictures!?!?

I think investigating the story and looking at the two pictures tells something different.
    These three bored guys on a layover went looking for trouble... found a lone wolf feeding on some garbage and the one started taunting it with the stick... while the other took pictures. The wolf stood it's ground for a bit (hence the picture) then did what every wild animal does... backs down. Any animal wild or not defends it turf to some degree. Don't believe me go walk up to a cow moose and try taking it's calf away... i'll come visit you in the hospital.

Anyway, later this Joel guy walks out to the same area... alone for some more fun and games, except this time there's a whole pack of wolves. I notice the inquest doesn't say anything about alcohol tests done on the victim. Maybe he was drunk (he obviously was stupid), got into a tussle with the wolves, maybe fell down. Sensing vulnerable prey, the wild wolpack mentality took over and they killed him. Then they ate him. This is what they do.

So what makes a better story to tell the authorities... and eventually Sports Illustrated magazine?

We 3 dumb asses, after watching Broke Back Mountain on DVD got bored and decided to go out and ^%@# with some wolves at the local landfill. Bucky got a cool picture of me poking at one. Later old Joel went out on his own while the two of us stayed warm joel never came back. Go figure...

OR:

There we were... The northern reaches of remote Canada, hundreds of miles from civilization, armed with only a stick and a camera. Three of us find ourselves fighting a life and death struggle for survival after being surrounded by a pack of bloodthirsty marauding wolves. With only one chance for escape, Joel set out on his own for help.... But the wolves were waiting....

Hmmmmmm.....

So to hijack the thread... How much snow in CQM? I was planing on putting on my skis this weekend. Sadly I'll miss Bell Lake. But the good news is this is the last Saturday I have to work... EVER!!!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the guy who got ate had been watching too much of the Timothy Tastewell shows and figured he could befriend these wolves. Either way, his gene pool is terminated. CQM has about 6 fluffy inches, and its snowing as I type. Claim we might get a couple more inches. It has no body, so wheels would still work. $ 3.80 per gallon for 100LL, manager says if they could sell a few hundred more gallons they could get another load cheaper and drop the price at least another 50 cents. You retiring?

Post Thanks / Like
    Going into the semi retirement mode till spring. I was watching the weather and they say you in store for 3-5" today. They say winter storm warnings for the weekend. Down side Bell Lake will be rescheduled.... Good news, Bell Lake will be rescheduled so I can go. With the lakes freezing smooth (for once) it should be an awesome ski season!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cabinflyer: I'm with you. Scenario #1 seems much more likely. It's the process of natural selection trying to work!

Post Thanks / Like
    good grief, up here in good old idaho, we now have over 700 that we
    know of. i'm o.k. with having them, as natural predators and all, but
    definitely need a hunting season for them, and a whole lot less liberals
    always shooting down that very proposal. almost never get any contact
    with them in the frank or elsewhere, as they are quite wary here.

soon we will have a hunting season, and we will grow more elk and deer
    again. i feel for the local outfitters and ranchers living close...

from what i've heard, they really only get to feed in certain areas where
    the cats will let them. idaho grows really large cats, and a wolf stands no
    chance against one, or of course my favorite airplane gun, the mighty
    "thunder 5" ! i've been here forever, and have yet to see one...

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    jomac,
    Only 700? Good luck with trying to get a hunting season. There are over 3500 the last count I had heard of here in MN and not much chance of getting a season on them here either. The majority of the wolves are located it the top 1/2 or 1/3 of the state. Always have the bunny huggers that live in the big city that always know more than the people that actually live out in the country.
    I have been out wandering around scouting the deer movement for the last few weeks and I have seen as many wolf tracks as I have deer tracks. Usually my area is overrun with deer tracks. (My place is inside of a state forest) I personally like seeing wolves but I still feel there should be hunting allowed on them. The chances of many being shot wouldn't phase their numbers. I have had them right under my stand while deer hunting and its a treat to get that close. There are some big ones around that would make beautiful mounts. I had a couple howling for nearly 20 minutes one evening when I was bear hunting and when I walked out of the woods they had walked right next to my vehicle. I took pictures of their tracks and it was wider than my hunting shoe.
    WW
    Don't take life too seriously ... no one gets out alive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Keith, if you recall the MN DNR was in the approval process for a limited hunting/trapping season on the wolves I think to begin in 2009, as their own bioligists had determined that some could and should be harvested to the keep the wolf numbers where they thought they needed to be. Then earlier this year some bunny hugger group filed a case with a court - as I recall a court out east - to prevent this from happening in MN, even though the MN DNR had determined it was the thing to do. Of course, the huggers picked a federal circuit that had a left leaning judge to file the stop action suit in, and of course their hand picked judge granted the injunction. Personally, I've got nothing against wolves, but when an armchair expert from New York can overide Minnesota's own DNR as to how best manage the very healthy and growing wolf pack in Minnesota, well, somethings wrong with that. Just as I believe Minnesotans or any other state should have no business in telling Alaska how to manage their wolf population, or Montana how to manage their coyotes, or Florida how to manage their manatees. Goes to show the power these appointed for life federal judges have, and we're about to get a whole new batch of left leaning ones over the next four years that will take another generation to flush out of the system. I figure we're pretty much screwed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Russ, You are correct. This was also supposed to happen several years ago. 2005 seems to ring a bell, but it was stopped back then also. Friggin left wing weenies have no darn business dictating what happens in another state. I am in 100% agreement. with everything you say. But screwed is a very nice way of saying it. A word sounding more like "bucked" comes to mind!!!
    WW

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also point out that the federal government has also recommended that wolf management in Minnesota be turned over to the state, including the ability to establish hunting seasons.

I'm always amazed at how absolutely low on the respect curve the coyote must be, considering PETA doesn't even seem to give a dang about those little guys....

And, all the shooting of them that's gone on, they've expanded their range, and increased numbers in many areas...

Gotta love it.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Shhhh! Mike. Don't give them any ideas!

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like when you bring up the wolf discussion it is either love or hate. Here in Northern Manitoba we are seeing more and more wolves on our winter flights into the north country. We flew for years not seeing a one. Every winter run we made up north last year we saw at least one and sometimes multiple wolves. Even during our summer float flying we would see wolves. For the first time this year the province allowed any hunter with a big game tag to harvest a wolf (wolves). Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck getting any hunting back once it has been canceled. I have been running a camp for years, about 10yrs ago we had our spring bear hunt canceled it cost northern Ontario 22 million a year, put people out of business, the moose pop is dropping, people have been killed and still they wont bring it back ! on average i shoot 3-4 nuisance bears while standing on my deck every year and alot of others are doing the same. Our country is ran by a bunch of people who will mess with true #'s to dictate their will. I would not think yours is much different.