• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bungee tool in texas

little pat

Port Lavaca, TX
Is there anyone in Victoria...corpus...houston...san antonio area that can replace bungees on a PA-18. I have seen a homemade tool on past supercub threads, but it seems pretty dangerous to change the bungee without the correct tool (I don't see how the homemade tool takes the old bungees off). I don't want to spend $225 on the bungee buddy, since it will only be used once every 5~10 years. Any info would help.

Oh, it would be used a lot more than that.....as soon as your friends find out you have one!

Use an engine hoist. Totally safe. I have an old post around here somewhere detailing the op, with pictures. Just run a search for replacing bungees.

The safest way to do this job is to package up your Hydrasorbs and send them to Univair. They will come back pronto with new bungies installed. The bungies won't be scuffed up and there will not be even a mark on the Hydrasorb paint. The cost is reasonable especially when you consider the best part -- that you will still have all 10 fingers left (or at least the same number you had when you sent the package off). Not so much of a deal for PA-12 and some others, too expensive to mail the whole fuselage plus gear.
Darrel

Here's the post in question, but advise reading the whole threads.
bungee1a1.jpg
bungee11.jpg
bungee41.jpg
bungee51.jpg
bungee31.jpg
bungee81.jpg

Knock a hole in the metal channel so the strut can fit through, then slide a screw driver through the bolt hole to keep it in place. Next take a piece of scrap rope (3/8" braided seems to work best) and make a loop to catch the bungee. Start stretching the bungee using the hoist, you might find it easier if you spread the rope (black hammer in pic). Once you've got the bungee over the ears, release the hoist pressure, cut the rope and use the hoist to pull the rope free of the bungee. When you've got the strut off the airplane, use a piece of chain to hold the airplane up. Just be sure to use bolts and not drift pins.

It's nice doing it like this because one guy can do the entire job in about an hour. There is no real grunt work; the hoist picks up the airplane while you remove the struts and insert the chain and the hoist stretches the bungee. No lever to spring back, and no screw drivers to damage the bungees. It pulls evenly on both sides of the bungee. It's safe for you, the strut, bungee and the airplane. And it only cost you a piece of rope.

nkh

um, um,

I might look at the Boy Scout Handbook for knots before I did this, and invest in some very quality rope...

No insult intended, Clay, but if a deckhand used that type of lash on any of the boats I ran, he would either be on his first trip or last, maybe both :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes:

Do not ever assume the lines will not part, and wear eye protection and hand protection!

There are two Eagles and a scoutmaster involved with those pictures, be careful where you're going there. The knots were fine, I think that day we used a square doubled up with two half-hitches on each side. How in the Hell you can tell that though, or the lack of, from the picture is beyond me.

We've used this method for going on thirty years now and never had a failure.

Where we have failed though was in the chain holding the gear together during the swap. THAT was exciting. Use quality chain as big as you can get to fit and pin it with bolts. DO NOT use drift pins. I was under it when it let go, never moved so fast in my life...

little pat said:
Is there anyone in Victoria...corpus...houston...san antonio area that can replace bungees on a PA-18. I have seen a homemade tool on past supercub threads, but it seems pretty dangerous to change the bungee without the correct tool (I don't see how the homemade tool takes the old bungees off). I don't want to spend $225 on the bungee buddy, since it will only be used once every 5~10 years. Any info would help.

Pat, You might be surprised by what one paying Super Cub.org memeber might do for another. 8)

Clay, Nathan looks a lot younger in those pictures. :lol:

Clay,

If you say so. It does sound like the right knot, but just looks :eek:

I usually hoist my cub for gear work. Forget the stuff under, just lift from eyes on cabin or engine mount, put a block under if you must, repair and put together.

I never like being under anything hung or temporary... including a deer!

Some guys have used a piece of pipe with holes drilled at each end, put it in while working on it...

Stoddards does a good job in Anchorage on these. I do like to cut them off myself and inspect for cracks, even if I brush the paint. Cost me some repair when a crack got missed by the bungee replacement folks...

Any updates/tips for removal and install of bungees on a hydrosorb? I have run out of time to send them to Steve Pierce and Univair. Wayne Meier is willing to help me with these using the technique mentioned in this thread (I think). Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Randy

I tried the above method Randy. Frightened myself whitless. The box steel, holding the bottom of the hydrosorb, I thought was plenty solid enough. But there is so much force it bent it. My next move was to pack the whole lot up and send them to the man.
Next time I'm going to go for the ASOS gear. Expensive I know but it shows you how much of scare it gave me when that steel box section bent.

If your just changing them because they're due, I'd suggest go on your trip and worry about them when you return.

Also reading above re the chain being used as a temporary link in the gear, I've got Atlee Dodge sea plane lifting hooks. I wouldn't work on the gear without them. Fantastic things. I've posted, as others have a few photo's of them in use other threads here before.

Enjoy your trip.

Randy, the guys at Stanton have a bungee tool they let me use building my carboncub. They all left the hangar and went to lunch while I installed mine. AOSS next time they are due for me.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everyone has an engine hoist available to them with just a little asking somewhere within a half mile of any hangar. If a little common sense is used, with a healthy respect for stored energy and proper support materials, it is a simple and painless way to do a bungee change without specialty tools and without danger of bodily harm. I can't believe after all these years folks still bitch and fuss about the idea. Simple and proven.

Took heed of the warnings, Dean Nordswig contacted me about a fellow 5 miles from KANE (Surfside) that does this task. Grant Wallace provided the contact info. Easy solution.

SJ, the fact that the engine lift is more expensive than the tool is irrelevant :smile:

Thanks for all the advise, fellas!

Randy

Back