• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sensenich 2EK Ground Adjustable Prop

R. JOHNSON

DODGEVILLE WI
I was wondering if any of you have experience or any info, good or bad, on this prop. I'm considering one for my C-90 powered Exp. Cub.

My main questions are how much does it weigh, and how easy and fast is to change blade angles?

I will appreciate any insight,

Ryan

I talked to the Legend Cub guys at the Reklaw Texas Fly-In. They love it. Takes 10 minutes to change the angles. You loosen the 6 or 8 bolts, insert the pitch key you want, rotate the blades till they lock and torque the bolts. The prop weighs 2 lbs. more than a wood prop and you can carry the extra pitch keys around in your pocket.

A friend has one on his Legend.It is pretty light and appears to work well.The pitch change takes a few minutes.

If you want info call Ed Zercher @ http://www.sensenich.com/contact.htm

I spoke to him a month or so ago.They are supposed to have the long version ready soon(76").

The blades are REALLY light.I think a cup of coffee is heavier.A beer is definitely heavier :D .

Bill

Well, what about....

Well,
What about an Aeromatic prop? They are a ground adjustable unit too, but change automatically...

Mike

A lot heavier plus they cost $5K. Nice prop and I have talked to Kent Tarver about them. I would like to know if there is a vibration issue on the O-320 with the Aeromatic.

Centmont on this site (Ralph Rogers) has one of the ground adjustable props on his Sport Cub. I'd send him a PM for his views. Last I talked to him about it, he was pretty happy with it.

MTV

got a new aeromatic prop(tarver's) in my a&p's shop waiting to be put on pa18-95 so within the next couple of weeks i'll know how they perform.

There is currently a SB from Sensenich that requires changing the bolts that hold the pitch change cover (and the blades) every TEN hours. There have been reports of broken bolts on Sport Cubs with this prop. The guy I know with one on a Legend had 55 hrs with no problem. Don't know about other Legends. Both Planes use the same O-200, so I assume Legend and other users will see similar issues. Sensenich web site says they are working on permanent fix.

As far as performance goes, everybody I talked to likes it...except for the broken bolts

Rich

I've put quite a few hours on one in a SportCub; in fact, I had a bolt fail on the way to Oshkosh this year. It's a nice prop, very light, and relatively smooth like a woody. The convenience of changing pitch is nice, but I'm not sure it's on par with a McCauley of the same pitch. Even with a climb cartridge, it doesn't appear to pull as hard; the difference is very small, but noticeable I think. That said, it was able to pull the airplane into the air prematurely and get out of tight spot; literally hanging on the prop.

Originally the prop was designed for the lighter, smoother running Rotax and Jabaroo engines. Subsequently, the design may be a little under built for the enthusiastic little O-200, as seen with the bolt failures. Plus, I question if the blade design is optimum for a slow turning engine that has decent torque like the O-200 (when compared to a Rotax, Jabaroo, etc...)

You can't beat the price for what you get though.

nkh

I have ca. 60 hours on my Sensi composite on a sport cub now. Compared to the woody, it is 10 mph faster, much shorter on TO roll, and because of the extra speed- more fuel efficient. It is 10 lbs lighter than the metal props, which is very important to me. What's not to love? It is as quiet as wood and (MINE) has been trouble free. Some of the guys are having trouble with the hub bolts. I don't use the adjustable feature much now, but really appreciated the ability to change and fine-tune the prop to my mission when I first got it. Sensi is working on a 76" version which should be even more efficient for cubs.

Highly recommended if you recognize that new products may have problems and patient enough to allow Sensi to work through them. Ralph

Thanks everyone for your information. I think I'll wait just while and see what Sens. comes up with on the bolt problem and the 76" version.

Ryan

Ralph

Any talk of one for a O-360/180HP...sure would be nice for all the distant fly-ins next summer!

Lou

Lou: The experimental versions were going out the door as fast as they could make them at this point. They have had few encouraging words for the larger engines or certified AC.....that could all change when they get a little hungry either through a slow economy, or when they get the little engines on experimentals and LSA's taken care of. You could ask the question on the Sensenich forum and get a more informed answer than what I just provided. Happy holidays to you and the family..... heh....I noticed a month or so ago that Colin and I have the same birthday. R

Back