• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska Tuna Cans

Not me, but I don't have 5 kids! Even with 1 kid my wife preferred the spaciousness of the Cessna. Sarah's comment sounds pretty typical of Supercub wives I know.

Stewart

Ever notice how different a/c types have different smells?

DHC-2 Beavers always smell the same. A mix between the elephant house at the zoo and moist pea-gravel.

Old Cubs all smell similar, except after a recent refurbishment. A combination of dust and an unidentifiable 'metallic' scent. If fished, add the scent of DHC-2 to the combination.

Old 180/185's all smell alike. I can't describe it right now.

Dave Calkins said:
Old 180/185's all smell alike. I can't describe it right now.

Mildew mixed with spent wheel bearing grease with a slight hint of bug repellent.

I changed my 180's interior and insulation. My wife commented on how much better the 12 smelled than the Cessna. The new interior was her definition of a necessary mod!

Stewart

and the old working cubs always smell like wet dogs & rotten dried blood :)

..... and stink to high heaven when you cut and weld up in cabin area.....

Oh, I knew one Cub that smelled like dead whale, actually.
The whale wound up in the Smithsonian....but THAT's another story.

MTV

And many -A models still smell like pesticide, even if they haven't sprayed/dusted for 25 years. :eek:

On the other hand, flewed a friend's 18-A yesterday, and it didn't smell at all, until I climbed in... :-?

Thanks. cubscout

The late-model Cessna 206's, 182's, and 172's actually smell like a new car. I want my Cub to smell like that!

Come to think of it, I don't recall Husky's smelling like anything at all. :D

My HUsky/Border Collie mix smells of pure performance.

He is a highly-tuned mechanism that efficiently transforms $45/per bag gourmet feed into useless crap. Literally.

And if tuned a little rich (overfed!), this animal will emit an odor nearly indescribable. Yet, I will attempt to use words to form a nasal picture.........

......nope, can't do it! But 'dense' and 'crunchy' and HorRIBLE come close.

D

PS I'll go sniff an A-1B and report back.

Those old warbirds have a distinct smell. When I was making out my resume trying to get hired at Ezell's warbird restoration shop in Breckenridge, TX I didn't know what to write. I told my Dad how much I wanted to work there and how much I loved the old warbirds, the sound of the engines and even that destintive smell. He told me to write that in my resume so I did. Mrs. Ezell read my resume and handed to Nelson telling him "This guy likes the smell of warbirds". He called me, I interviewed and got hired. :lol:

Oh, the smell of the Gullwing I had...

that burt oil residue with an essence of exhaust... I still dream of that bird, she was indeed the "Cadilac" history calls them.

Dave- you crack me up! :lol:

Never thought about different aircraft smells before. My Stearman smells like fresh air when I am flying it.
Cal

Back