• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Axle Spacers

Jim Miller

Normandy TN
I just stuck on my Colt wheels to roll around shop and discovered my Alaska airframes 1 1/2" axles gear needs a approximately 1 1/4 inch spacer that goes on the axle prior to putting on the wheel. Is this a standard part and does it get tack welded on or just slide on? Is there a drawing for this item?

Thanks
Jim Miller

Jim,
The spacer just slides on the axle and goes up against the inside wheel bearing. Some earlier axles have the spacer with a rosette weld to the axle shaft, but I don't think anyone makes them that way any more.

The purpose of the spacer is to position the rotor portion of the wheel in the proper location with respect to the brake caliper, and this depends on details of the torque plate and the wheel assembly. Depending on how all this works out, you may need a second spacer to go between the outside wheel bearing and the axle nut.

If you're planning to use the Colt wheels and brakes, you will probably have to figure this out for yourself, but if you're starting from scratch, I would call Stoddards and just order everything from them.

Bob

Bob
Thanks for the info. I was looking at tubing sizes and a 1 5/8 .058 should have the proper ID to fabricate from. I have some Colt gear I can take a measurement from the brake mounting plate to the end of the spacer.

Jim

Jim Miller said:
Bob
Thanks for the info. I was looking at tubing sizes and a 1 5/8 .058 should have the proper ID to fabricate from. I have some Colt gear I can take a measurement from the brake mounting plate to the end of the spacer.

Jim

Jim-

www.mcmaster.com

Type in "washer" into the search and then follow the links until you get what you need. They have a good selection of shimming washers with a 1.25" hole in them.

Tim

Jim where do you end up with your solution on this, I am encountering the same problem with my new gear.
My old had the spacer welded on with another spacer. New gear has nothing.
Anyone have info on the pma part # for 1.5” axle spacers ?

The IMG_1686.JPGIMG_1687.JPGIMG_1689.JPGIMG_1690.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 137
You just use 4130 chrome-moly tubing. Measure the distance on the inner axle for the tubing sleeve, with a reference to where you want the nut to line up on the outer axle safety hole (slight preload).

What gear and brakes are you using? The only 1.5 gear I know of is Atlee Dodge which is what I have and it was simple bolt on installation. Univair has spacers for their Pacer gear conversion but likenanook posted you can turn some tubing down.

Atlee 3” Ext. (It May be older, if you look at the picture above the spacer is welded onto the axle on one with an additional spacer. The new set of Airframes 6” ext. does not have anything. I can use either Cleveland’s Airframe brakes, but both need to be spaced out.
Right now I’m at the point of setting the temporary shock struts for measurements and i don’t think the axle spacing is something that will hold me up there.
But when it comes to the final assembly, I want to have it right.
I will be sending the shock struts they sent with the lock nuts in place so they can weld the new ones.

You would by chance have a secret # for ol Ronny Sullivan would ya, been trying to get the stc for the 6” gear for a month with no response.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Atlee sells the spacer tubing if you don’t have an easier source. I assume Airframes does as well. My 10” wheels on Airframes gear required making spacers. Not unusual. If you swap the straight skis you’ll likely do it again, too.

Can’t find anything online under aircraft innovations, is that just the name of his LLC?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back