Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wheel penetration skiis

Post Thanks / Like
    George,

I'll call my previous cohorts in crime fighting who are still flying the skis today. We did inspect the rod ends pretty closely, at re-installation time, and of course, at least "casually" during preflights. This airplane lived in a heated, well lighted hangar, so pre-flights were pretty thorough.

I never cycled the skis on the ground. Never needed to, and I've always felt that doing so on ANY set of skis imparts a lot of stress, so generally avoid it, approved or not.

There is another set of these skis operating on a Cessna 180 in the ANC or MatSu area. This set was field approved on an airplane owned by a FSDO inspector, but I don't know his name. If there were ever a test for those skis, the much heavier 180 would offer it, so I'd try to track that airplane down. I vaguely recall someone saying that airplane was either for sale or had been sold recently.

I'd check with the ANC FSDO, and see if they know who that Inspector is. As I said, I don't know who that was, so have no idea if they had any problems or if they ever actually used the skis....

Thomas can give you the name of the fellow who did the certification tests in the US on the Husky. He's in Wisconson, and I'm told has a set of the skis on his airplane now. I'm guessing he used the Aviat ski gear as well.

This is a real bummer. These are such great skis, I really hope there isn't some sort of unresolvable problem here.

Crash, its good to hear that Landes is in the hands of someone who cares about skis. I was really afraid that the company would go to some big outfit that just wanted the military contracts, and would tube the GA stuff.

No doubt, Landes makes great stuff. I hope they get the Cub ski going.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like

RF8001 Skis

Hi, for those of you, who do not know me, I am Thomas and I designed the RF8001 Skis.

We have been producing these skis since 1994. Never had a problem with the rodends. After hearing about the problem, we could identify, that all the rods in question were form the same batch. My guess was, maybe a soft batch, but the rod end manufacturer looked at the rodends in Question and said" everything normal ".

I then hat to analize why the rods fail or bend, when the aircraft is just pumped once or twice on the ground. With the statement of the manufacturer to have" ok Rodends", we had to look for another reason.
    I successfully could damage a rodend by pulling the skis way to high when hooking up the bungees.

But some after market Brackets did not have the stop, that is needed to restrict the travel of the rodend, and these gears still had failures.

I still was sure to have a batch of soft rodends.
    We had to build a test rig to test the rodend ourselves. The batch in question met the specs of the manufacturer, but other batches were 30% and more stronger that the specs called out.

To have the airplanes flying again, we shipped from the stronger batch ends out. In the meantime a solution got developed that cold be retrofit on the existing carbon yolkes.

These tests were finished on Jan 9th with the questioned batch of rodends. Even with these rodends the required forces could be now far exceeded.. Lifting of a 2700 lbs load creates no problem. On a single rodend. Beforethe mod, bending happened at around 800 lbs.

Parts for this mod will be shipped Jan 14th. Installation of the mod takes 12 minutes.
    Cycling a Turbine Bird Dog ( SM1019A) fully tanked at 3700 lbs for 100 cycles showed no bends at all.

We will supply all our customers with a free set of parts , regardless how old the skis are.

I am sure that this problem is solved now and for the future.

TomD

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.
    Now that's customer service/care.

Good on you, TomD, I'm sure your biz will thrive (IF you survive this rod replacement)

Good to see some caring in biz.
    Nimpo Lake Logan... boonie SuperCubber
    200mi (300km) from nearest stoplight... just right! - "Que hesitatus fornicatus est"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMandes

Crash, compared to the LH-4000 skis, these have MUCH more ground clearance when taxiing -- important on rough gravel strips.
    George, where are you landing on rough gravel strips in the dead of winter?

I log 100+ hours each year, flying the Iditarod using a set of LH-4000's. We land on all kinds of terrain during the race including gravel strips. I've yet to replace the ski tail wear strips. I don't see it as an issue unless you're landing on real rough gravel and most of that is buried under snow or should be....

Take care.

Crash

Post Thanks / Like
    snowbirdxx

My hat is off to you!

I commend you on your efforts figuring out the problem!

cheers
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash - - the issue on gravel is the ski tailwheel throws rocks into the tail feathers. If you're not having that problem, I dunno.

RK

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really having tail feather problems from the skis throwing rocks. I guess we're operating in different areas of the state. From Willow to the Yukon you can operate pretty well with just straight skis.

The coast (Unalakleet and up) is another story. I would guess about 80% of the ops are done on gravel strips with 1 1/2" and under rocks. They (LH-4000's) make a lot of noise but after the end of the season I'm always surprised when I take the skis off that there is very little damage to the tails.

I go skis to wheels, wheels to skis all day long on the ground, no problem! Even go one wheel down, one wheel up to turn around on the ground. I usually never even get out when I blow it and end up off the runway, out in the bushes. Just drop a wheel, roll the trim forward and put the pedal to the metal....

Take care.

Crash

Post Thanks / Like
    We have LH-4000 skis on our 185, and Landes wheel penetration skis on a Husky. Fine products from a fine company. We hope they get their LH-3000 completed for the Cub/Husky soon as more choices is a good thing.

When you taxi on the RF skis, there is so much ground clearance that you would never know you are on skis. On both types of Landes skis, we clatter around, even on pavement. I can't imagine that anyone designing skis on a "clean sheet of paper" would prefer the ground clearance of the Landes skis over the RF?

Post Thanks / Like
    George,

Tried to get in touch with my former cohorts yesterday. No luck. Cold in FAI, and I'm guessing they're all kegged up at home.

I'll keep trying to get in touch.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like

Gravel / skisGeorge

George,

if gravel pickup is an issue with RF skis, there is a simple solution to it.
    A rubber guard can be mounted just behind the wheel opening. It is a rubber as used on engine bafflings.

I have such a rubber integrated in my mudguards/ wheel pants for the Rfs.

This rubber extends downwards to the ground. On gravel it will get used and needs replacement from time to time.

On snow it will fold back from the friction. Weight increase on both skis less than 1 lb.

TomD

[img][/img][img][/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Sooooo are the rod end on the RF 8001 problems fixed? Has any one operated both the RF 8001 and the Landes LH 3000's? Care to comment?

Post Thanks / Like
    With all this ski talk no one has said anything on trick air skis , I was looking at a set as I now have a aviat husky and it seems trick air is the way to go , but inside brackets need to be welded on , Is any one flying trick air skis

Gerry

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a set, of 2250 and i love them i flew some model on my plane ( strait and Flilite 3000 ) and you can bet i will not go back there,fairly lite at 42 lbs each and not too hard on the airspeed ( aprox 3 mph ) they install in 10 min no hose , there a couple of vid on youtube ,one little plus is you dont have to pump ( or wait to cycle )to go from pavement to snow just give throtle and go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sportsman View Post
    With all this ski talk no one has said anything on trick air skis , I was looking at a set as I now have a aviat husky and it seems trick air is the way to go , but inside brackets need to be welded on , Is any one flying trick air skis

Gerry

Just got a set - have not landed in snow yet - posted this picture in the thread"Cold Weather Operations" just a little bit ago.

Switched to 3" extended gear and I thought it would be a good time to add them. There is a fitting that welds to the gear leg. You need the skis to position the fitting so you have to pull the gear off of the plane to weld the fitting on

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1166.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	861.2 KB 
ID:	14669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1167.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	747.2 KB 
ID:	14670

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the look good on you cub please let me know how they work in the deep snow , or wet snow Gerry

Post Thanks / Like

Trickair's

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sportsman View Post
    Well the look good on you cub please let me know how they work in the deep snow , or wet snow Gerry
    Here is a set I put on four years ago and I am really happy with them although I have not any other's to compare them to (these are my first set). I have landed in 18-24 inches of powder and even some wet snow not too deep 12 inches or so and they do not build up on the ski's very much other than behind the wheel.. The only issue is the weight. I think they are 46 lbs each mine are 2250's. In my opinion they seem to be on the heavy side, but look like they can take some abuse if you got yourself in a bad situation.
    Dave R Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013 cell phone photos 041.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	767.3 KB 
ID:	14671

Post Thanks / Like
    These are Datum (experimental only) wheel skis on a gravel bar. I did it one time, before we got some snow, no harm done but I don't plan on making it an everyday occurrence! More of a see what they could do thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    hey Jim, I have a set pf aero r2800s for my Scub. Iam missing the bracket on both skis that attaches to the outside of axel.Know anybody who does, other than buying new? thks Cliffy
    Thanks pfm thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have some parts left kicking around from my R2800 days, let me go to hangar tomorrow. Pretty sure cub uses different axle mount than scout. Might want to give a shout to FMD, he just put a set on MD. Where you been holed up?

jim
    Likes pfm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thks Jim! Will b awaiting your reply. Also who is FMD and what is MD? Slow on this forum stuff? Thks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
    Thks Jim! Will b awaiting your reply. Also who is FMD and what is MD? Slow on this forum stuff? Thks again
    MD is a super cub called Miss Daisy, John who flys her when Tom doesn't have her is FlyingMissDaisy

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I got it, Thks Cliffy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
    John Meade. Aka flying miss daisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I have the wrong Cliff. Do you fly a yellow cub under bridges with Hungarian strippers in the back on your way to sell stocks and try manage other peoples retirement funds? Either way I will look at my box of Aero parts

Jim
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish that was me!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a set of cub gear for the R2800 but I must have sold them. Not in my stuff sorry. Aero should be able to help

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thks for checking! Cliffy