Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J-3 engines and floats

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by behindpropellers
    Quote Originally Posted by 3977P
    Wood has no memory like metal does, but mice cant chew on metal spars, like they do on wood ones.

Doug
    Doug-

Post a picture of a spruce spar/rib that a mouse has chewed on.
    I've seen one but don't have photos. It was a Stearman.

Jon B.

Post Thanks / Like
    From my Champ.

nkh

Post Thanks / Like
    Nate-

Looks like it is just sanded down??

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah - to remove dry rot. Look at that rib - moisture got in there at some point. Do you think that spar is still good with that much material gone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like your ready to cover Nate.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry, I don't have any photos

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    No it was mouse damage; you can still make out teeth marks and there's a note in the logs when they dressed out the damage.

Bob, I flew the airplane for 10 years; always paying close attention to the spars looking for any kind of movement, and wasn't concerned by it. A failed glue joint finally condemned the spar.

Yeah Steve, as soon as I can take a break working on airplanes to work on MY airplane.

Here's the rest of the story... so far...
    http://www.joea.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2045

nkh

Post Thanks / Like
    Behindpropellers,

Granted there are different AD's associated with wood spars in Champs and Cubs, but tell me what makes the spars themselves "apples to oranges" please??

As I noted, I'm not down on wood spars. The point is, however, that a lot of folks, many who hold an IA, now ARE paranoid about wood spars. I wouldn't worry so much about the spars as about the inspector of the spars.

Just keep the beavers away from em....

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an ad for a really sweet looking L-4 from the Washington Seaplane Pilot's newsletter:

$49,750 Beautiful L4 Cub currently on EDO 1320s, 70 hrs since complete restoration in 2003, 2070TT airframe, recent upgrade to C90-8 w/20hrs TTSMOH to serviceable limits. Awesome performer and a real blast to fly, excellent condition and a real eye catcher. Full greenhouse, Metal Spar, intercom, Cleveland brakes, Fresh Overhaul on McCauley Metal Prop, sealed struts, and more. Comes with tight EDO 1320s, wheels, covers, and lots of fun! Currently on floats. REDUCED PRICE, ready to move! • Contact Tedd Goth, Owner - located Lakewood, WA USA • Telephone: 907-750-2220 9/4/08

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    John, the plane is still a J3C-65. That has to do with the Type Certificate, not the size of the engine installed on the plane.

The dash 8 is included in the Type Certificate and does not require supplemental paperwork. If the 90 is a dash 12, then supplemental paperwork is required.
    JimC

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much to all, I enjoyed the thread and learned a lot from your comments. In the end I did buy the 1946 with wooden spars, C-85 and tapered crank. So far I have flown it 15 hours or so and it really is a different airplane and by that I mean it is "special". I don't have to tell you old hands what I mean but it is even noticeably different than the 1948 7DC Champ I used to own - not that one is better than the other to other than their owners, but they are different. If the C-85 gives me trouble the O-200 internals are in my future but so far no problems. I'm going to try skiis again this winter (been 20 yeas since last on them) and I'll keep you posted .......