Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Future Supercub in NC

Post Thanks / Like

Future Supercub in NC

I recently joined the group and have been reading all the great stories on the Supercub. I sold my Archer sometime back and have been looking to get into a Supercub. I have also been throwing around the idea of building a Carbon Cub. I have a whopping 1 hour in a taildragger! I can't seem to find any rental planes locally to get more tail-time. I was hoping the group could help me figure out the right path here. Should I purchase a J-3 or something of equivalent cost to get my hours up while building a Carbon Cub...OR....Should I jump right in and buy a Supercub and say the heck with a Carbon Cub? i know someone is bound to say to do both, but thats not an option right now

Good to meet all of you and look forward to meeting some of you at future gatherings!

Matt
    Raleigh, NC
    Last edited by mgberry; 04-28-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Matt:
    I have just built a Carbon Cub and would like to build another it was that much fun. I just talked to a guy that is interested in buying my Carbon Cub but he has to sell his 1968 PA18 150 he has owned it since 1972 when he bought it it had 60 hrs. on it, it has 1300 TT now with a 350hrs smoh if you would be interested in that email me at evroosevelt@hughes.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you a builder,

or

are you a flier...

Super vs. J-3...

flying heavy loads from really bad places, or up on sunday for a jaunt?

Supercubs are the king and the power is nice for hot windy days. J-3's are far less expensive to buy/fly, but are a 'toy' in some respects without putting lots of mods on them (big engine and such).

I fly, I would say get flying...
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Matt
    I don't see you on the membership list for EAA 1114 There is a Legend Cub near Angier that is available for dual. I've got an Exp J-3 at Cox's and will go flying at the drop of a hat. 919-623-one one nine 2
    There are a lot of Cub type airplanes in the area.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of those EXP carbon cubs would be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to talk to Matt Walsh at Elite Aviation there at RDU. He's in the Tac Air FBO. Matt is a tailwheel CFI and might have access to an airplane for you too to be able to fly.

Also Brandon Nesmith with Table Rock Aviation in Hickory. He is a CFI and has a Sport Cub that he offers dual in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a EX would be awesome too and thats what has me excited about building one. Seems like the only complaint I hear about the Carbon Cubs is the cost. My feeling right now is that I need to build a bit more time in a tail dragger. My first tail dragger lesson was in Alaska a couple year ago and I was hooked! I guess we all have these dreams of being able to land on a remote area and throw down the tent for the night

Snert....I will take you up on that and will give you a ring. I have not attended any of the 1114 meetings. How active is the group?

Post Thanks / Like
    Matt
    1114 is an extremely active chapter with many builders and a lot of talent. Meetings are the 3rd Saturday. We start eating at 8am They don't let Fly-Cubs cook anymore so the food is safe to eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the 105 special on this site!!!

A good plan might be buy a champ or tcraft to fly while you build, build your dream, and then sell the little one when the other one gets flying.

Trouble is, you NEED a bird to get to meetings!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!