• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Gallet Helmet and ANR

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
I purchased a Gallet helmet shortly after reading a thread regarding items which add safety factors to Supercub pilots. When I ordered it Rob Hammer really gave me the hardsell to order the earbuds rather than ANR, and I did. I didn't like the earbuds much and found it much more difficult to hear the radio, compared to the David Clark headsets modified with the Headsets, Inc ANR aftermarket mod. I then sent the helmet back in and asked Rob to install the ANR system, which he did.

I have been flying with it whenever doing low level flight, and just don't find the ANR to be very good. I find the noise suppression not to be even close to the DC/Headsets, Inc. that I have been used to.

Anyone else have this experience, and what have you done about it???

Randy

I have one Gallet helmet with ANR and another with the ear buds.

The ANR helmet is easier to use, but I don't think that the ANR works as well as a Zulu headset. I am told that helmets are tougher to make ANR work, because they don't clamp like a headset. I also think that the competition of the Zulu, Bose, Telex, etc, drives product improvements that haven't found their way to helmets. I was initially very unhappy with my Gallet with ANR, because I couldn't get the volume level to jive with other headsets, but Rob sent me an in-line volume control that fixed that problem.

I wore the ear buds for a number of years and then finally got sick of putting them in my ears, plugging them in, and breaking the connector. I am told that you can have custom molded plugs that work with the ear bud system, but haven't tried those yet. Rob says that the military prefers the ear buds over ANR for helicopter use in preventing hearing loss. My problem with them is that the helicopter I fly has a modulated start, where you meter fuel manually on start, and I start that ship with my helmet off and door open so I can hear it light off. After start, I just want to quickly put my helmet on, and I don't want to fiddle with the ear buds.

My wife just wears her Gallet helmet without ANR or the ear buds, and I go between the ear buds, the ANR and just the helmet. I love the Gallet helmet, but like you are not totally satisfied with the ear buds or ANR. I was walking across a factory floor in Mesa yesterday, and grabbed several packages of foam throw-away plugs to try under my helmet as another option.

GeorgeMandes wrote
I was walking across a factory floor in Mesa yesterday, and grabbed several packages of foam throw-away plugs to try under my helmet as another option.
That's what works the best for me also. I bought a box of 32 db green foam plugs at the welding supply store and wear them everywhere there is noise.

Tear off 1/3 of the foam earplugs and it will work perfectly. No ANR or $$$$$$ required....

which third Frank? the pointy end or the outer?

huh, what.....speak up will you I'm a pilot and i don't hear so good.

about two weeks into my summer adventure this year I busted the anr cord on my Gentex helmet, I used to think it didn't do much, going without it for 80 hours convinces me that I was wrong. I always wear ear plugs, have for nearly 30 years, with those and the ANR I believe my ears just might make retirement.

db

OK, earplugs and headset (non-anr) work too well, in that the plugs attenuate the radio too much....tearing off one-third works with the radio turned up, still attenuating outside noise enough to protect the ears...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or, maybe I've just gone deaf....and it won't work with someone who has normal hearing.... :help

I also tried the ear buds in my Gallet helmet and didn't like then. I had been using a David Clark modified with headsets ANR system. and was happy with the performance. I then installed the same ANR that I was using in the DC, into the Gallet, and it is working well.

Mike "M1"

I purchased the Gallet helmet with the ANR as well. I'm not satisfied with the noise supression. I think the inferior result comes from 2 sources.

First, the ear muff around the ANR does not fit nearly as tightly as a Bose or DC headset. That's the nature of the helmet. And it has to fit firmly to get good noise supression. If you add additional foam, then the helmet is difficult/impossible to easily get off and on.

Secondly, I am concerned that the supplied ANR is not as good as the other "mainstream" brands like DC or Bose.

I'm still sorting it all out, but continue to wear custom fitted ear plugs that add an additional 20dB supression. Please let me know how you fitted the DC ANR unit.

Randy

You can get them made at any audiologist's office. They shoot liquid latex into the ear canal, and then trim it to make a custom mold of your ear. They then send it off to get your actual ear plug fabricated. You can choose several options regarding what dB attenuation filter you would like to insert.

Personally, our supercubs are so hard on the ears, I choose the highest attenuation filter they make. These are the same ear plugs/noise attenuators that rock stars use on stage.

By the way, I lose a pair every couple years when I drop them on the floor and they disappear into the black hole of the fabric covered fuselage. Have an extra pair made just in case...

Kingcub,

Sorry, but those helmets NEED to fit tight, both for noise reduction, but more importantly to ensure that your head doesn't rattle around in there in the event of an accident.

Aviation helmets, to achieve good noise reduction simply have to fit tight. That means you have to learn to pry the sides apart when donning the helmet.

And, when it's cold.....

Did you get the Oregon Aero kit with the helmet? If not, that will help with noise reduction, by better fit.

MTV

WindOnHisNose said:
Mike, how did you install the DC ANR into the Gallet helmet?

Randy

Unless I am mistaken Mike has fitted his helmet with the Headsets inc. ANR, which he also fitted to his DCs. I went this route on my Gallet after being suckered into the earplugs as well.... I was happy enough with it that I also installed it in a SPH4 and a Peltor that I have as well.

As a side note, and I don't mean this as a negative reflection on Robs outfit either.... He is not the only game in town as far as Galletts are concerned. I have heard good about both of these folks and they are authorized Gallet dealers as well:
http://www.tigerperformance.com/
http://www.helicopterhelmet.com/

As with any other industry, competition makes for good bizz.... and BTW, IMHO for the average cub guy the Peltor at almost half the cost of a Gallet (still kevlar) is tough to beat...

Take care, Rob

Rob: Yes you are correct, and the helmet fits tight too. Tight enough that it can be a bit hard to put on, but is comfortable after being on for a while. I also have the Oregon aero hush kit. Great helmet, and the Headsets Inc ANR works well.

I really had to jam the Headsets ANR speakers into the original speaker area, but they will go in with a bit of patience.

Mike "M1"

Mike,

10-4, The headsets inc set up is VERY tight in the hush cups. I went that route as well and would do it again in a Gallet. Having said that the guys at Headsets inc say that the hush cups do not lend themselves to ANR technology, so maybe standard cups with hush seals would be a better route. This is what I have on the Peltor and SPH4, but comparing them to the Gallet is apples to oranges....

Take care, Rob

I watched this thread from a distance. Now here's my take. I have a Gallet LH050 (single internal visor) helmet with the Oregon Aero zeta liner and Merit Apparel's proprietary ANR comm system. I had some initial problems that turned out to be a wiring issue in the mic plug but throughout the time I've had this helmet Rob Hamers has been an exceptional vendor with customer service that's second to none. I can honestly say that my helmet fits right, it seals tight, and the ANR performs perfectly. The helmet's passive noise reduction alone is so superior to headsets that there's no comparison. Push the ANR button? Wow! My helmet works so well I can't imagine how anyone can complain about theirs, unless theirs simply doesn't fit. And that's their fault, not Gallet's. I believe Gary Reeves had Rob personally fit his helmet. I did the measurements and Rob nailed mine long distance. Perhaps I'm just lucky. Perhaps we make our own luck. Gary's feedback convinced me to buy a Gallet from Merit Apparel. Three years later I couldn't be more pleased. And for the record, with respect to audio and visual appliances? I'm a picky bastard.

I recently bought some high quality ear plugs to try under the helmet and under the headsets in the Cessna.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/silnatrubear.html

These things cut out so much sound I find it disturbing. I can hear speech in the headsets and little else. I don't like being THAT alone with my thoughts! I'll try the "quiet ear" models next since they have less attenuation and will let SOME sound in.

Stewart

Thanks, Stewart, for the feedback. I just placed a call to Rob to see if there is a fix for what I am experiencing. My helmet fits well, I think, so have no complaints there. I just find the ANR not to be even close to what I get in my David Clark's modified with Headsets, Inc.

Randy

Randy,

FWIW, I experimented a bit with my Gallet while flying. I can't improve the passive noise reduction or ANR by squeezing my helmet. I can make it bad by physically trying to open the helmet up while I'm wearing it. I guess that demonstrates that I'm getting a good seal around my ears while wearing it normally. I'll add that the comfort of the helmet improves with time. I don't know which is taking shape, the helmet or my head, but it feels better and feels better for longer than it did when new. If you don't have any hot spots initially I suspect it isn't fitted closely enough. At least that's how it seems looking back at my time in my helmet.

Stewart

Stewart, your observation must be correct. My Gallet is so comfortable that I could wear it all day long but if the ear buds or super dooper earplugs aren't inserted correctly it's louder than heck in the cockpit. On my Bose X, sometimes I put an elastic headband around it so that it is clamped tighter and that seems to make things quieter. I also think that short hair around the ears and no glasses bows help---I wear glasses and know it lets in some noise.
Marty

For me weight on my head is a big issue.

How do the weights of these helmets compare to the DC helmet/headset combo, and if not lighter, what added protection on these and the peltor?

akT,

The Peltor weighs in at 400 grams less than the Gallet which is actually pretty light. I own both and have weighed both and others...Bear in mind that the average Gallet is set up with 2 roll down visors and a plastic visor cover. With the peltor you get a moto cross style "duck bill" and wear sunglasses (no face protection) but I like this much better when the light is low. The Peltor is pretty comfy and Nomex inside, but the Gallet properly fitted with a OA Zeta liner is pretty tough to beat. Both are kevlar composite in structure, and both are light years ahead of the mil issue....

The DC was designed to protect deck hands on carriers from running into wings etc... It is absolutely better than nothing, (which is what I wear in my cub...) But... it is not even in the same realm as the others....

Take care, Rob

Good Info Rob, Thanks.

What does the Peltor weigh compared to the DC helmet?

I am wearing it in the cub, and in reality it's job is to keep Murphy and accidents away! working since I started wearing them.

Hi akT,

I weighed all these helmets a while back and this is what I got, the DC set up however did not have an ANR headset in it and my Gallet is a LH 250 with 2 visors and the plastic. not lightweight carbon shield.

DC K10 with DC 10 13.4s and OA soft seals 42 oz / 1190 gr
Peltor G78 W / Headsets inc ANR 36 oz / 1010 gr
Peltor G77 W / Headsets inc ANR 49 oz / 1390 gr
Gallet LH 250 W / Headsets inc ANR 49 oz / 1400 gr
SPH 4 B W/ Headsets inc ANR 54 oz / 1545 gr

The DC looks real good on paper until you factor in the fact that with the others you are getting a real helmet...

I didn't have an older SPH 4 , but have heard that they weigh literally twice as much being all fiberglass, it is noteworthy that the SPH 4 B, Gallet, and Peltor are all Kevlar / composites

These weights should get you a ballpark feel, but size and how you configure your helmet will ultimately tell the real deal... You can get an "empty" weight for all of them, but I don't have that...sorry

Take care, Rob

akT,

I forgot to mention neither Peltor that I have has the HANS studs on it. These helmets were initially concieved for rally race cars, and most of the units being imported have these HANS studs in them. I'm not sure how much weight the HANS stuff adds, but since it isn't in my plane I ordered my helmets without the studs, (or the weight)

Take care, Rob

The Gallet 250 has two visors and an external visor garage. I have an LH-050 with one internal visor and nothing on the outside. I'm sure my 050 is lighter than the 250. I can truly say the internal visor is probably the best feature of my Gallet. I use the smoke visor and I use it a lot. Since the 12 has no place to hide from a bright sky I'm very pleased to have an easy to use sun shade. Land west at Lake Hood on a late summer afternoon and you'll know the value of quickly accessed eye protection!

SB

Funny how everybody likes something different. I never use my tinted visor and leave it retracted. Instead I have several old flight plan papers slid up next to the visor to make a baseball cap like bill. The paper is easily adjusted to block the sun.

Thread resurrection. I still use a helmet for every flight in my -12. I've used the Gallet and have been pleased enough but as the calendars stack up I find it necessary to wear spectacles full time now including for flying. The Gallet has not proven friendly to glasses. I just bough a pair of DC H10-13X ANR headsets and the nice girls at Northern Lights Avionics loaded them into a DC K10 helmet I've had laying around for about 10 years. Tonight I tried it out and I must say I'm very pleasantly surprised. The helmet is comfortable and cool to wear. The headsets are effective without the ANR and exceptional with. The stock gel seals for the ear cups are very glasses friendly. Audio is excellent with the DCs, especially the sidetone when I speak to the tower. I think the DCs perform similarly to the Sennheisers I normally wear in the Cessna and at first impression are superior to the Gallet ANR, primarily due to the gel ear seals versus leather covered foam in the Gallet. In fairness I'll try to retrofit similar ear seals into the Gallet and give that a whirl. Someday. I'm going to park the Gallet for a while and use the DC for a long term trial. One superior feature of the DCs is how the ANR box powers down instantly when I turn the radio bus off, and the DCs are not hard wired. Good stuff.

Stewart, when I first posted on this thread I ran into the difficulty using my reading glasses when wearing the Gallet helmet, too. Obviously, I hit the age of needing reading glasses far earlier than you:)

Has anyone found a good solution for this? I am not wanting to give up on the Gallet, given the $$ I spent...errr...invested in this helmet.

I am very curious as to how the ANR will compare between the Gallet and the DC, SB. Also, I am wondering if you compared the Gallet with the K10 helmet back before you made the switch...something must have registered with you to entice you to make that change?!

Randy

Randy,

The change was precipitated by glasses and the fact that a good friend left me his K10 when he moved to Florida to fly and work on really cool aerobatic airplanes so my investment was minimal. I do think my Gallet will return to favor if I can retrofit some gel ear seals. I'll run to Northern Lights in the next few days and see what, if anything on their shelf, fits the Gallet ear cups. Wifey can wear the DC helmet once I make the Gallet work better.

BTW, I don't think the DC helmet is on par with the Gallet for head protection. My focus right now is on hearing protection. The DC is easier on the hair, though. :)

Last edited:
Back