• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

pa-11 Exhaust options

rookie cubber

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Does anyone know of any exhaust options for the C-90-8 powered PA11 other than the original? I was aiming at something similar to the Sutton exhaust STC available for PA18's... the idea is shedding a few pounds from the nose, getting a less cramped engine bay... not much else. Any ideas?

PA-11 exhaust system

I am building a Sport trainer , PA-11 replica, and like you, I need more space in the back of the engine since I will have full electrical system with generator with starter . The Aeronca 7 AC exhaust set-up is on the engine's sides and might be a solution. Otherwise, you will have to order a one-a-kind system specially made for your aircraft and certainly very expensive.

Gilles

Use a super cub C-90 motor mount and you'll have enough room. You can use a stock PA-11 motor mount also, but will have to modify the exhaust system slightly, by lowering the back slightly. A B&C alternator and starter help also.
Brian

Rookie,

I don't know what "restrictions" you operate under with your countries version of the FAA, but these guys have offered some exhaust system options. HOWEVER, in the U.S. there is no FAA approved alternative for the PA-11 exhaust system.

If your "FAA" allows you some latitude in working on this, you may look up Roger Peterson in the photo gallery and also search "PA-11 and Exhaust". Roger built an experimental PA-11 and had a 4 into 1 exhaust built for it. Pretty neat and he got a slight power boost too.

John Scott

The Legend Cub style exhaust fits nicely on an O-200. Should work as well on a C90. Aircraft Exhaust Technologies at Princeton, Mn makes them.

Mark

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Longwing, I agree I'll have to investigate a little further into my local "FAA" regulations regarding this. The thing is that here they accept American FAA approved STC's, so if in the US an STC is approved I can buy it and perform the modification here without any trouble. That's bureaucracy... I can perform a mod easier on a foreign STC than going through the equivalent of a 337.

regards,

Mark

Back in the 1960's, my brother put a Cessna 150 exhaust on an O-200 powered PA-11
JimC

On ours we've got custom exhaust made by Sonny Poarch from Classic Air Ventures mentioned above. They're 2 into 1 basically eliminating the muffler for the 530788 cam to work well. This is not much help for the certified guys but an excellent option for the home builders. I'll post some pics in my gallery.

Ryan

The 11's bottom cowl is alot closer to the motor, than the champs, I don't think there is enough room to fit the hanlon/wilson exhaust on a cub. The original system is very lite and quiet,and puts out a good amount of heat.The cost of parts, and inspection, stinks.

Glenn

Back