Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kase's picture "The Harvest"

Post Thanks / Like

Kase's picture "The Harvest"

Kase, WOW, what a great image! Guess I'll have to send that to my old friend Myron Kleinschrodt when he gets back from harvesting them hwheat, way up nort', eh.

Once again, well done: great image, great technical stuff, great composition, colour and contrast. Not to mention interesting subject matter.

Thanks. You made my week. cubscout

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CS. To follow up a few days after I took that photo one of the combines caught fire. Luckily nobody was hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long you suppose that combine will sit there? I'm still dodging combines that quit in the field 20 yrs ago. Maybe with the price of scrap iron, somebody will come get it.
    AFNB

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a leetle smoke damage, that should polish right out 'eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like they were harvesting a crop of rocks.
    Speedo

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably ran it out of the grain into summer fallow to keep from lighting the crop on fire, and having to buy that as well as the combine...

I haven't run those things for years, but back in my younger days I worked for a custom cutter, and we used Gleaners, which were MUCH better combines than those green things.

Don't tell EAA I said that, though...

Anyway, I'm betting that poor sucker is now in a world of hurt--more grain to harvest and one less machine, plus having to hassle with insurance (assuming it was insured).

And, S2D, at the current price of grain, they may start moving some of those relics. The ground is becoming too valuable...

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple years ago, a friend of mine was running a (rented) excavator clearing some property. It caught fire from leaky hydraulics or something, by the time he realized what was going on it was pretty well engulfed. He leapt off and got away from it unhurt, but it pretty much burned to a cinder. I looked it over the next day, t looked like something out of a war zone- like it was hit by an RPG.

Eric
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion
    we used Gleaners, which were MUCH better combines than those green things.

MTV
    Mike, I've always had a great deal of respect for you but now I've lost complete confidence.
    Bob D

Post Thanks / Like

ditto

Ditto what Taledrger said Mike!!!!
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Aww heck, since we're into SERIOUS topic drift here, there was an abandoned Gleaner (probably petrol powered, but just barely) on the border of our aerodrome, ~15 metres off the extended centreline of the most active of several "runways." Probably had been there since ~early 1960's.

Turned out to disappear a few years ago. Guess the mice and prairie rats ate the grey zinc until it rotted into the ground... After the railroad regularly caught the prairie on fire....

Thanks again. cubscout

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Several guys over here in "small" farm country still use Gleaners. Yep, that's what we used when I grew up on a dairy farm. Those and Owatanna Swathers were the norm around here.
    Seeing that burned up combine brings back memories. Our entire machine shed burned to the ground when I was about 10. Lost all of our farm machinery. It happened in the middle of the night. Woke up to it totally engulfed in flames. What a mess...the tractors had melted metal dripping to the ground.
    Keith
    Don't take life too seriously ... no one gets out alive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy Wolter had sent pictures of 100 combines harvesting a field in Kansas.
    Quite a site!

Randy...when you're not working post those!!!

Sorry Mike...not to get off on your bad side....but there were a lot of green machines!

cafi

Post Thanks / Like

combine color

Everybody has their favorite combine in farm country...
    The Deere combines seem to have their following in wheat country.
    IMHO the Case IH red ones are great in row crops.
    The Gleaners have always been referred to around here as "silver seeders"..something about how the field greens up behind them after harvest

Post Thanks / Like
    Where's the picture that started this thread?

Anne.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, all you Deere fans, recall that I did note that my experience with these things was in 1965/66. At that time, few custom cutters used JD combines, and Gleaner had a lot better machine for the long seasons that the custom combiners ran.

For one thing, one of our Gleaners had some sort of problem--can't remember what it was exactly, but the local dealer loaned us a JD to fill in while waiting for parts for the G-B.

One of the other drivers ran a skunk into the green machine, and jammed it (we were picking up out of swath)

The Gleaners at that time had a reversable cylinder capability, so if they jammed, you could simply reverse the cylinder and remove the jam. The JDs had a MANUALLY reversed cylinder. You put a big bar in it, and turned it backwards, then dug the stuff out of the header, then cranked it another half turn, etc..... Clearing that jammed up skunk in that JD was really fun to watch from a distance, but the odor and cursing was pretty offensive as I passed on every round....

Gleaners also had the biggest equipment at that time....we ran (are you ready for this??) 22 foot headers, which at the time were huge headers.

Some of these things are now running 30 + foot headers. That would have to be a LOT of fun in rocky country, methinks.....

I was amazed to find out that the custom operators no longer use high school students and other young folks, but apparently a lot of them use South African crews here on work visas. When I was doing this it was great money for a high school kid....

I'm sure that John Deere has by far the best combines nowadays....after all, nothing runs like a deer (e).

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably ran it out of the grain into summer fallow to keep from lighting the crop on fire, and having to buy that as well as the combine...
    Actually it caught the field on fire.

Post Thanks / Like
    AGCO ALL THE WAY. ha Im truly a die hard Allis chalmers fan but since we adopted the old australian combines Ill take the gleaner side of this argument. (A little gleaner did pretty well a few weeks back at the carroll county fair in the combine demolition derby, ill try to find a video of that online somewhere.)

OH and allis chalmers will run circles around that green and red junk.

Post Thanks / Like

Kase's picture " The Harvest"

I was told that "Allis Chalmers "was a swear word !! ???

Post Thanks / Like
    We run Gleaner combines and are real happy with performance and dealer support. Doesn't matter what color machine you have, it won't make you money if you don't operate it right.

Ten years ago combines were still made from steel. When there was a fire it was usually small, put out with a water jug or fire extinguisher and you were back in the field within an hour.

Today combines are made of fiberglass and plastic. When they catch on fire, get out and get away. They burn up fast and hot and I don't think a fire truck will save the machine. It can save the wheat but the combines go fast.
    Flat Country Pilot
    Farm Field PVT
    54 C170B

Post Thanks / Like
    More Montana wheat...

Mother Nature started this fire...

Ag-Pilot arrives at work...