• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing Root Fairing Rubber Seal : Replacement

WhiteCub

Seattle, WA
I got new wing root fairings from Univair a few years ago. They were obvious military surplus of a certain age, and now the rubber extrusion has lost flexibility is starting to crack.

Looking at the Piper drawing 12276, it is Miami Rubber Co. Rubber extrusion 1-796A, held on with Bostich rust resistant staples type SCCR 25 3/8.

I did a cursory look thru Univair catalog but no joy.

Any Cub Drivers out there know a source for the rubber extru and the staples ? Any alternate ideas for fastening the extru to the fairings instead of the staples - bonding ?

Thanks as always- Whitecub

I bought the rubber extrusions from Stoddard's in Anchorage. Instead of the staples just use safety wire and make the twist on the inside of the fairing.

I used safety wire and stitched the whole thing without twisting behind each pair of holes. Looked good too

Bought mine this spring from Univair & the rubber was stapled on the aluminum already.

Ursa & N51, thanks very much for the info.
Steve: In Spruce catalog, which rubber extru p/n do you recommend ?
Nimpo: I'm looking to replace the seal, not the whole fairing !!

thanks from Whitecub

WhiteCub said:

thanks from Whitecub

I think I have seen this extrusion in the Wag Aero Junk catalog also. Might be a safe thing to buy from them since they probably do not make it.

Tim

thanks from Whitecub

Which rubber extrusion seal do you order for front windshield fairing do you order from Spruce catalog there are 4 different P/Ns for the almost the same seals?

P/N 05-01300 or 05-01400
05-01300.jpg
05-01400b.jpg

Univair sells the stuff that Piper used. I install it with 3M weatherstrip adhesive. I hate those staples Piper used. It is like the one posted on the left above. Can't find the interactive parts catalog on Univair's website now.

I have a -12 with the square top windscreen. How well would the -18 Univair wing root fairings fit on my -12? Anyone know?

-Chris

Back